ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

Interesting Discussion with Deputy Sherrif

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a good attitude. ATV tourism in that area is big as you know. Making the vacation unpleasant for visitors will hurt the town more than the sheriff would ever collect is fines for nuisance violations. Word will spread and folks will find a friendlier place to eat, fuel and spend the night.

I do believe reckless ATV riders doing stunts on public roadways does deserve a serious ticket and fine, just like it would on a motorcycle or car.

David

Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Not a good attitude. ATV tourism in that area is big as you know. Making the vacation unpleasant for visitors will hurt the town more than the sheriff would ever collect is fines for nuisance violations. Word will spread and folks will find a friendlier place to eat, fuel and spend the night.

I do believe reckless ATV riders doing stunts on public roadways does deserve a serious ticket and fine, just like it would on a motorcycle or car.

David
Agreed David. We live in times where elected officials at all levels of Gov't want to tell the public how to conduct our lives.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Makes me wonder if part of the law allowing ATV's to legally ride on the streets has a new part that targets the 1-up machine with 2 riders issue. While it isn't as safe as a 2 person machine, driving like you're describing isn't hurting anyone.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Makes me wonder if part of the law allowing ATV's to legally ride on the streets has a new part that targets the 1-up machine with 2 riders issue. While it isn't as safe as a 2 person machine, driving like you're describing isn't hurting anyone.
Ive seen the ordinance which states "no more riders than atv was intended for", however talking with a relative this morning who was recently up their said a park ranger questioned them as to how many would be riding while a family (parents and a child) posed on their 4x4 utility (1 person per manufacturer ) atv. The ranger stated "only 2 riders on that atv." Makes me have hope that some law enforcement are leaning on commonsense. Possibly they are only enforcing single riders on smaller sport machines, and allowing 2 riders on larger utility atvs. I know I'm not purchasing a 2 person atv just for 1 week per year when my wife may ride a few times.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by P650Pilot
Ive seen the ordinance which states "no more riders than atv was intended for", however talking with a relative this morning who was recently up their said a park ranger questioned them as to how many would be riding while a family (parents and a child) posed on their 4x4 utility (1 person per manufacturer ) atv. The ranger stated "only 2 riders on that atv." Makes me have hope that some law enforcement are leaning on commonsense. Possibly they are only enforcing single riders on smaller sport machines, and allowing 2 riders on larger utility atvs. I know I'm not purchasing a 2 person atv just for 1 week per year when my wife may ride a few times.
I guess you could remove the sticker with the slash through two riders. It's kind of funny on the 2-up machines. They have the same slash type sticker but with 3 people on the quad.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess you could remove the sticker with the slash through two riders. It's kind of funny on the 2-up machines. They have the same slash type sticker but with 3 people on the quad.
Ha ha. I don't see how they figure a 2 seater is more safe. Actually the 2 seater atvs are more dangerous IMO.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by P650Pilot
Ha ha. I don't see how they figure a 2 seater is more safe. Actually the 2 seater atvs are more dangerous IMO.
Been on both with passengers. The two up machines have the passenger above or slightly in front of the rear axle. On a one up the passenger tends to be behind the suspension. Lightens up the front end a good bit. Worst is riding up a hill with a passenger on a one up. Other than that, the long wheelbase makes steep hills more manageable. All in all, after thousands of miles on both, I give the nod to 2 rider machines as far as safety goes. They do stink in tight tree lined trails. Have to spend more time going wide and anticipating corners.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe all the quads I've owned have had the same no passenger symbol printed on the seat. I know my latest one does.