Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Youth ATVs... which one????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003 | 02:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Youth ATVs... which one????

I know nothing about youth ATVs, but I've got to get one for my kid... Which one?

I've considered the following:

Predator 90
Sportsman 90
Raptor 80
KFX 80
Honda Sportrax 90

Which one's best?
He's an 8 year old kid... trail riding.

Old 07-09-2003 | 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

To be honest, I don't have any experience with youth quads.
But Honda is the most reliable name in the game[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2003 | 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got my kid a 99 honda 90 and he has a blast. He's 9 and it pulls him like he's not even on it! I've never tried the others, but i know the honda 90 is a great little machine for the young ones.

Old 07-09-2003 | 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

From the ones you listed,I would pick the honda 90. My son is 10 and has a yamaha breeze.It is a tuff little quad that will take a licking and keep on ticking.It would be worth a look also. Good luck with your decision...

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

We got our kids a 03 Honda Sportrax 90 this past X-Mas & it's a great little quad. This thing will run forever with little maintinance. A few of my friends have bought their kids those made in Tawain 2-stroke quads & an Arctic Cat 90 2-stroke quad & they are crude looking next to my kids Honda, & working on them doesn't look as easy either. The Yamaha Raptor 80 is an ok quad also...but if it were my money, I'd buy the Honda.

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

My 7 and 10 yr old sons have Honda 90's. They are a great machine. The Honda is the widest of the youth 90's so it going to be more stable. It pulls like crazy and with the 4 speed tranny they also have engine braking which is real nice on hills, it also helps on how long the brakes last. You'd be amazed at what these little quads go through. Even though the Honda has no electric start my oldest boy (who's not very big) has no problems at all starting it by himself. I asked them once what they wished was different about it and they answered with 1) Reverse 2) 4x4 3) Headlight 4) Racks 5) Electric start. The Honda will also holds it value when it comes time to sell it.

Old 07-10-2003 | 02:33 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate all the responses, and it sounds like most of you are recommending the honda. I'm definitely going to take a closer look at it since I don't know anything abou it.

Has anyone had any experience with the Polaris youth atvs? I noticed on polaris website that they had quite a bit of travel in the suspension. The sportsman 90 also has racks and an electric start. It is an automatic though... I wonder how well the auto would do with such a small engine.

For those curious about what the sportsman 90 looks like Click Here

In the meantime, keep the replies comin', and I'll check more into the honda 90 that so many of you have mentioned.

Old 07-10-2003 | 09:17 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

What is the kids size/weight?? That is really important! The little Honda is awesome, but it is a bit on the large side as kids bikes go. My son has been riding his for several years, so it is in the ballpark for an 8 year old. He rides EVERYWHERE that I go, including on the 4X4. They are great trail machines (even rocky, thechnical stuff), where many of the other bikes are only suited to riding around on a track. The Honda also has great ENGINE BRAKING, which the automatics don't have (a great asset out on the trail!). The kid will have to learn to shift though, and he and you will get a workout starting the thing (you pull a cord like a lawnmower).

Old 07-10-2003 | 10:36 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

He's almost 8 years old, just over 4 ft tall. As far as weight goes...around 50 - 60 lbs

thanks

Old 07-10-2003 | 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

I agree, the Honda is a great quad, but he sounds a little smaller, maybe start on something a little smaller, and easier to ride. The KFX 80 is just a green LT80, a great, solid quad. The motor is very peppy, the belt drive makes it a snap to drive, and it can be easily modded to go a lot faster. My son drove one from 4 1/2 to almost 9, and had a blast trial riding, a couple of short races, and lots of gravel pits. Maybe find your son a used LT80, get him started, and in a couple of years, he will have all the experience needed for a larger quad like the Honda 90, Predator, or whatever else he may like. The main thing is to make sure he fits the quad, too much size or weight can make it hard to control on a rough trail,and he can get nervous or scared if he can't keep it under control. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, look at as many models as possible before making a decision. Good luck, and make sure a helmet, gloves and good riding shoes or boots are there for his protection and your peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Youth ATVs... which one????