Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Narrow, fast, 4x4, light, nimble utility ??? whats best?? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrow, fast, 4x4, light, nimble utility ??? whats best?? Help!!!

I started looking at the honda recons 250 because they are small light weight & narrow etc. But i have acreage and will be using my atv to haul firewood and other stuff around the property and its kind of weight with lots of trees & hills.

Plus I like to hunt/fish/4x4 trail ride for fun when i'm not doing chores around the house.

Here are the front runners
Kawasaki bayou 300 4x4 (almost bought it today) $4500 + $69 winch - kind of slow & heavy 573lbs
Yamaha Bruin 350 auto 4x4 - 348cc, better engine, tires, suspension, towing, but lighter & narrower too! 538lbs msrp $4999
Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 - 376cc, not sure of weight, more expensive msrp $5200
honda rancher ?? to wide.

Is there any better choices i have missed? I dont want to spend more than 5K unless its worth it.

Help!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

if i were you i would get a scrambler 500 4x4 and buy front and back racks

Old 08-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm trying to stay narrow though. Washington has a ton of trees and when your going hunting or exploring through the woods its nice to be nimble & narrow. at 46" wide that is 3.5" wider than the Kodiak & already 30lbs heavier without the racks.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never considered the Rancher as being wide at all, but then I am use to 50" wide sport bikes. It is centainly a nimble tight trail bike!! Mine got way wider with aftermarket rims and tires, but that is what I need for my purposes.

Are you going to the dealer and actually measuring, or just going by the stats? On some bikes the tires stick out beyond the fenders, and on some they don't.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

When I noticed your post I thought you were talking about a Yamaha Wolverine. You might want to ad it to your list.

The Recon is a good quad but it's tow limit is around 400lb. and no 4x4.
The Bayou would be at the bottom of my list. It's more utility than sport/ utility.
The Bruin is new so I can't say much except I don't like belt drives.
The Eiger is a big machine but it does have select 4x4. Compare the specs and do some searches.
The Rancher 350 is a fulltime 4x4 and it is smaller than the Eiger. The only place where the Rancher is bigger is the width by 1/2 an inch. Might be more stable. The Rancher would be reliable. Not sure about the Eiger. Time will tell.
Some people might suggest the Big Bear, Wolverine, Arctic Cat 300, 400 manual, and Polaris Magnum 330.
Today I have to say that I'd go with a Rancher and get a Warn 424 select 4x4. Maybe you could work the 424 into the purchase price for the Rancher. But you need to decide what is best for you.

Old 08-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

You can also get the Wolverine with the Warn 424 kit. I'd suggest it, personally, because I love mine. It is everything you describe - narrow, fast, light, nimble, and utility capable, with 4 wheel drive. The Honda is also a great bike, and both have proven to be highly dependable and versatile. I find the Wolverine the sportier of the 2, and that would reason me picking it over the Honda.

Arctic Cat and Polaris are going to be wider bikes, from what I have seen around. I wouldn't even consider the Bayou, it has a fun level of 1 on a 1 to 10 scale. I wouldn't buy a Bruin because it is a first production year machine, and as seen with the Raptor, Yamaha can certainly have their share of problems the first time around. Eiger is big, which I would think ='s heavy. Certainly do your research in that departman, if you want something nimble. Good luck choosing, and ask us any more questions you might have [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Wolverine fits the bill, perfectly. Fast, light and 4WD. Get the 424 Select, if you get one, for 2WD capability. I use mine for hunting too. Its great for hauling out deer or putting up treestands. Get the Wolverine.

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for everyones response.

I dont know how i missed the Wolverine. That defenitely looks like the front runner from what i just read on it.

only 477lbs and 42.3 inches wide. (accordiny to yamaha) thats nearly as light as the recon at on 406lbs.

does anyone know if you can get a rack in the front of this like the bruin or big bear ?

Old 08-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm just going by the stats right now. when i narrow my choices i will definetely take a measuring tape with me.

your right though, the rancher is only 524lbs, but it is 45" wide. not a deal breaker, but i'm trying to stay small. i'm only 5'9" and 155lbs so being able to pick up the back end is a must for me. this would make it the 2nd lightest of the bikes i'm looking at.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

How much does a warn 424 kit cost ? Is it difficult to install?

Quick Reply: Narrow, fast, 4x4, light, nimble utility ??? whats best?? Help!!!