Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV for a small female?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV for a small female?

I'm looking for the best ATV for a small (5 ft., 110 lbs.) female. I currently have a dirt dobber (mini dirtbike) that's 50 cc's and it's a pretty fun little bike, but I now want a 4-wheeler. Any help, tips, or suggestions will be very appreciated.

-Dayna

Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Hmm... what kind of riding are you planning on doing? and .. would you prefer an automatic, auto-clutch that you shift, or a manual with a hand clutch? You want a 4x4, a sportier bike, or sport/utility 2 wheel drive? That will make for a nice place to start [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply.

I want to ride around in the woods..on trails. I don't live near mountains or big hills (I'm on the eastern shore of virginia) so I guess the only place to ride is in the woods.

I would want either an automatic or an auto-clutch....never did get the hang of shifting. (don't laugh) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And I'm not sure if I want a 4x4 or a sportier bike. Are there any good "starter" bikes?

Old 08-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I would think that if you can handle a bike that a quad would be no problem. My girlfriend and sister have no probs riding my kodiak or the scrambler. My sister had a bit of trouble turning the scrambler. It is a very fast, powerful machine. My sister has never tried my wolv, but my girlfriend does ok. You just have to learn when to shift based on engine sound and current terrain which comes with time. I would recommend something with 4x4. Its just nice to have. I hardly ever engage it on any of my quads but I like the option. The wolv is considered a sport utility and so is the scrambler. The kodiak is more utility oriented but very agile. It seems to be that in reality there arent that many quads you couldnt handle with a bit of experience. My friends girlfriend is in the same size wieght range and she rode a Honda Rincon her first time out and loved it. I think the Rincons are 650s. My experience is only with the ones above so I limit my comments to them in my posts. For reference my sister is 5 feet and 110 lb. The only reason she hasnt tryed the wolv is that she is intimidated by the auto clutch. Shed have no problems with it in my opinion as far as controling goes.

Old 08-04-2003, 01:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something in the 250 class. Honda 250EX or Suzuki Z250 if you want a "sport" bike (these are autoclutch, shaft drive, so they really aren't pure sport bikes). Or, the Honda Recon or Suzuki Ozark if you want a utility with racks. Keep in mind that the sport bikes are 50 lbs LIGHTER than the utility bikes.

If you are willing to learn a manual clutch, I would say Yamaha Blaster or Honda 300EX.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

If you are traveling trails without too many obstacles, one of the aforementioned sport bikes would be ok. The only problem with them is that they have low ground clearance. If I was suggesting a bike for you, I'd look at the 250EX, the Z250, which are both auto-clutch bikes, and the Polaris Trailblazer (although it is 2 stroke) because it is automatic. Those are all sporty 250s. If you were looking at something with a little more ground clearance (something more utility oriented) then an Ozark, a Yamaha Beartracker, or maybe a Honda Recon would all be good choices. Those are also all auto-clutch machines. As for autos, maybe a Polaris Trail Boss or Magnum (which are both 330s). I'm not too familiar with the Suzuki line-up for this type of ATV, but I'm sure they also have something. With your small size, I'd stick to 350 and under, and unless you want to go fast, the sport/utilities with the added ground clearance are probably the way to go. I'd imagine they will also have a smoother ride quality and do whatever you need to do. Ask any questions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

My daughter has a Suzuki Ozark. Its great for trails and woods riding. She's 14, about 5'6" and weighs about 100lbs. A Honda 250ex or a Suzuki z250 would also be a good choice if you want a sportier looking quad.The z250 is a sportier version of the ozark. The Ozark will cost you about $400 less than the z250. My wife rides a Honda Recon also a good ATV. The Recons are priced about the same as an Ozark. The Ozark does everything just a little bit better than a Recon. For the same price, I'd get the Ozark.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

My friend has an Ozark and it seems to get around pretty well for being 2WD. And so far he has had no trouble with it either. I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone who was looking for that kind of bike.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Suzuki Z250 or Honda 250ex

Welcome!

Old 08-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I just read an article on the Bombadier outlander 400. I dont pay a whole lot of attention to who the magazine says is the best because thats probably paid for, however the article was good for technical information. Anyone have any thoughts on the Outlander?

Quick Reply: ATV for a small female?