Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Toy Hauler Reccommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003 | 02:58 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Toy Hauler Reccommendations

Well, I've got the wheels (02 Kawasaki Lakota Sport for me and an 03 Suzuki LT50 for my daugher), we plan on lots of riding this fall, and now need the portable ladies' room - i.e. the toy hauler.

I've done some internet research, and plan on attending the RV show this fall, but want to be armed with as much info as posible. I want something not too big and that can be pulled by a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with about a 9000# tow rating. I've noted the Weekend Warrior and Thor Pak Rat are within the weight range. I only need to haul two full sixed quads, sleep two and a ladies room with a shower. I haven't heard about the reliability and durability of these two brands, and haven't heard about any other brands. Any suggestions?

Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003 | 11:51 AM
Ol
Range Rover

You're putting us on, right ??

You start trying to pull 9000# with a Cherokee and you'll be looking for another tow vehicle in a few short miles. The Cherokee is too light a tow vehicle and the tranny won't begin to pull that load on the highway - at least not for long.

My RV trailer weighs 7500 and with my Rancher and extra stuff in the bed, my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel pulls it, but it has to work to do it. That Jeep will never stand a chance.

Thor makes a light weight, entry level product. My middle son has a 26 footer, a toy box, and he's very happy with it. He pulls his with a Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel.

My RV trailer (not a Toy Box) is an Artic Fox

Old 08-04-2003 | 01:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well that's what the owner's manual says, not that I'd want to pull to the max capacity. What I don't want to do is have to buy another truck just to pull a toy hauler. Then perhaps the question for me to ask is do they make toy haulers that can be towed by an SUV with just a V8? Any suggestions or should I be saving for the heavy duty truck as well?

Old 08-04-2003 | 02:57 PM
Ol
Range Rover

RV dealers, good ones, aren't take the "money and run" type (Generally) because if you get started into RV'ing correctly, they know it will escalate to infinity........

Your local RV dealer will have a book (similar to a Bluebook) that will break down, by model, by year, by transmission, by gear ratio what YOUR specific Cherokee max tow limit is. If he doesn't have that RUN don't walk to the next dealer.

Then, once you know the "true" towing capacity of YOUR particular Cherokee, you can start your serious looking. Watch-out for the salesman, though, he'll try to sell you a rig rated to the absolute max capacity. I'd suggest you try to stay between 1/2 to 2/3rds capacity (closer to the half if possible) because the stuff you'll load in it adds up QUICK. Remember water is just over 8# per gallon, then there's clothes, soup, utensils, lawn chairs, gas can, oil, extra this and that - even toilet paper weighs something.

Between you, me and the gatepost.... if it was me,I'd be looking for something in an ultralight in the 20' or less range. 22 foot max.

Good luck and let us know what you find !!

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:05 PM
Ol
Range Rover

I forgot to add that all the pertinent info for your vehicle (which transmission, gear ratios, suspension extras -if any- and such as that) will be found in the coding on the manufacturer's plate mounted inside the door.

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks. Unless and until I find something else, right now I'm leaning toward the Thor Pak Rat. It's only 16' long (not including tongue) and weighs in the 3500# area. I don't know about reliability of the Thors. Any suggestions on a brand that's reliable or has a good history?

Old 08-04-2003 | 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just checked the Edmunds web site and it says an 03 Grand Cherokee's tow rating for both a 2X4 and a 4X4 is 6500 pounds with the 4.7 liter V8. You may want to reread that owners manual that says 9,000 lbs, I suspect that may be gross vehicle weight.

Old 08-04-2003 | 04:33 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I would take a good look at the Pack Rat! It's way to small for me, but should work for you. It is the lightest thing out there (like 3,000 lbs empty??). The best dealer in the area (can't remember the name right now????), is on the I-60 past UCR just before you get to Moreno Valley (on the left). I looked at one there the other day. Thor has a good reputation.

Like OI said, it takes a lot of truck to haul a trailer!! Then you add the bikes, and water, and gear, and the weight really adds up!

Old 08-05-2003 | 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

also, check out a company called tailgater. they make a 21' toy hauler that is all enclosed...definite bonus! it also has goodies like a/c and a furnace if you go up into the mountains. not sure about the weight, though.

Old 08-06-2003 | 11:57 AM
Range Rover

My Hubby built one for us. The 2 Prairies fit in it perfectly. There is a self-contained toilet setting inside the shower. The shower is full size, so there is plenty of room in it. When we get to where we're going, we have a folding aluminum table, and a nice air mattress that go in when the quads come out! If you want to see it here is the link: myurl Just click on the Quadhauler link. (Mrs. Q)

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler Reccommendations