Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best trail thumper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003 | 09:00 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Best trail thumper?

I'm looking to buy a sport quad for a little more fun. I'll still keep the Wolvy, but ... I need a jumping, donut doing, great handling, I'm-going-to-kill-myself-on-this-thing machine. So... I'm looking for opinions here on the sport quads. I think I've narrowed it down to 3, but if you have others that you think fit the bill, by all means, suggest and say why. The 3 I am thinking of are 1) Raptor, 2)Predator and 3)Z400. The Raptor and Z both have reverse, but I don't think the Pred does. These seem to be the leading trail bikes. I want something fun to ride but I don't need an MXer, just trails, dunes, moderate jumps, etc. Tell me which you would prefer and why. I'll appreciate the input. Thanks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

PS: I'd also consider a Cannondale, tell me if you think that is a big mistake or not. I love their products but I still would be weary about parts. Should I be? Or can I find just about anything in aftermarket? Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2003 | 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

If you do a lot of mudding the quads with out reverse might suck . But for scary fast trail riding the predator ,raptor ds 650, cannondale ,vforce yzf450,can really splatter you against a tree. The 400ex and the gereric z400 copies also have great handling and are easy to ride but when you hit the tree you will probalbly survive without the use of some body parts. The choice is do you want to go all the way or not. I wouldnt recomend the dale unless you can do all maintenence and repairs yourself but most parts are available now and there are rumors that they will be back but I wouldnt count on it.
It seems nowadays nobody makes a bullitproof quad that really goes stock. I would recomend riding everything before making a decision. And you should visit web sites that are vehicle specific so you can hear from actual owners and not have to sift through some of the BS that this forum is rampant with.
I have a cannondale and a 400ex if anyone wants to do a real test ride.

Old 08-08-2003 | 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

a raptor! its fast, i believe pretty good handling, can jump if u want it to, reverse, but when u hit the gas hard don't expect it to stay on the ground!

Old 08-08-2003 | 09:13 PM
Range Rover

I have a predator and can honestly say, Dont get one for trail riding. You will be much better off with a Raptor. For 3 reasons, raptor has reverse, has more ground clearance and has a smaller width.

Old 08-12-2003 | 01:01 AM
|
Pro Rider

Anyone else? Thanks for the comments so far, keep em coming! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2003 | 02:02 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The Z is a great all around machine. The Raptor is to narrow for my taste, so I would have to spend $2,500+ right up front for a wider axle, a-arms, and if you change the arms you need new shocks (can't revalve/respring the stock ones). Nice power, but just not worth the extra expense.

If I were you, wait and see what the 450's do.

Old 08-12-2003 | 02:10 AM
|
Pro Rider

From everything I've read, the 450 isn't going to be a nice trail bike. Low ground clearance, no reverse, slim uncomfortable seat, etc .... that is why I haven't considered it. It seems better suited for the MX tracks.

Old 08-12-2003 | 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

i would definatly go for the raptor, reverse might not seem like a BIG nessesity but when u runinto that tree halfway down a hill and your to tired or weak to pull it off the tree you wont say the same thing. and preditors are not light either.