Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help in Buying a good atv

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003 | 05:00 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Need help in Buying a good atv

I am getting ready to buy 3 atv's for my family. I haven't ridden in years until recently in Utah, what a change in machines an technology!! I do not know what to buy and have been studying all the brands for weeks. Just want some non-biased info from people. I want an all-around ATV, somewhere in the 400-500cc range, with the purpose of doing trail riding in the deserts and mountains, with the occasional dunes. I like the Polaris quads for their ease of automatic shifting(for the wife and kid who have never ridden) but they will be getting a smaller quad..this one is for me. I also like the auto trans on Polaris and most people who are weekend warriors like myself have said good things about them. I like the Polaris Sportsman 500 for its rugged looks and high clearance for the boulder hopping and power but like the Predator for its looks and speed. But I do not want a race quad, just a good quad with good acceleration, can climb hills and tear up the reails, but if I put some paddles on it for the dunes I do not want a slow thumper either, just enough to have fun. So as you can see I am in a dilema...just can't seem to make up my mind. I am open to all personal opinions..good and bad but just give it to me straight.

mongoman
( Redlands, calif)

Old 08-11-2003 | 12:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

See my list of bikes below. They pretty much would be my list of recomendations. I'm pretty much a Honda guy, but got tired of waiting for an new performance bike, so I got the Suzuki. I really like the Z400!! I like it more every time I ride it!! It does everything well: dunes, wide open desert, or trails. Reasonable power and GREAT handling (but, it is a manual shifter.) You could add the Raptor to the list if you want more power (to narrow for my taste). There is a new crop of 450's coming out so who knows what the future will hold? But it looks brighter every day!

I have several friends with various models of Polaris bikes, so I have put in some saddle time on them. I have to be honest and say I don't like them at all, for a variety of reasons (top heavy, belt drive, reliability issues, and they seem kind of "contrived"). The Predator shows some promise though.

You saw the "sport vs utility" thread where Ol and I went back and forth (thanks for you comments!). Anyway, it kind of hashes out the pros and cons of desert riding. Around here, the dealers sell hundreds of sport bikes for every utility. That should tell you that this is sport bike country!! I only need a utility when the rocks get to big for the sport machines. You definitely do not need a monster mud bogger with 27" tires!

Old 08-12-2003 | 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

z400.........Raptor.........650(bomb.)........yz45 0 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and if your pocket isnt that deep maybe a ex300 or a warrior...

so if u can go 5k and above get the first ones listed if not just get a 300ex or a Warrior

Old 08-13-2003 | 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

If you are thinking along the lines of the sportsman. You might want to try out a vinson can get them auto or manual. I rode a couple of them before I bought my prairie really impressive for a 500 sport utility machine. It handles well and has 4x4 and a low range if you need it. I wanted a sport quad for a while but they get tore up were I ride the rocks are too big and I like ridding in snow too. My wife really wanted one when she rode it. This quad can slide and jumped pretty well for a utility quad it out runs all the other 500cc utilitys. It also looks pretty sporty and has good lights. For just a little more you can pick up a 650 Prairie they are pushing them out for good prices to make room for the 700s. The prairie will flat out haul but also has 4x4 and a low range. It depends on what you want from the quad. High mountains big rocks or mud and snow need a 4x4 with some ground clearance. Mostly desert trails and lots of sand get the sport quad. Polaris sport quads with the exception of the Predator weigh nearly as much as my 700 Prairie 4x4. A Vinson can go over 65 MPH and the Honda rincon handles well and rides real nice too. Go to dealers who will let you ride them and decide what you like, My opinion is go with the Utility 4x4 but thats because it suites my riding style and were I ride.

Old 08-13-2003 | 01:08 AM
Red Rider

You said 3 atv's for the family. What are your ideas for the other family members bikes???

Old 08-13-2003 | 12:33 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses everyone. I really want an ATV that has ground clearance too. I checked into the 400ex(which I liked) and the suziki's too(which I also liked) but they don't have ground clearance. Let me clarify my desire. I plan to do mostly trail riding and desert riding. Would like to do the dune thing too, but not that often. So I want a quad that is sporty, with ground clearance and can take the pounding of trails with boulders and some water. But I also do not want something that weighs 600lbs. I really liked the polaris sportsman 500 but it is so heavy. This will also apply to my wife and 13 yr old son(both who never rode before. So that brings into manual or automatic. I can go manual, but the wife definitely needs auto. The son I will teach manual. It just seems that when I was checking out all the models on the web and in stores, either I give up ground clearance for the the sporty models I liked or I they weighed a ton with the utility models. I don't know, maybe I am asking for too much or just not looking in the right place. Keep all the opinions coming though, I like hearing your thoughts and ideas.

Old 08-13-2003 | 12:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I haven't checked out the prairies yet or vinson..will check them out. Are they heavy like the Polaris models?

Old 08-13-2003 | 12:41 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I wanted to let everyone know what sixe we were too. I am 6', 240 lbs and my wife is a tiny little thing, 4'11" and 110 lbs. So I also am wondering about suspension and shocks for a guy like me..do I need a beefier shock setup if I do with a sport quad, I know the utilities will handle me no problem, but lets say I bought a z400 would that handle me no problem without bottoming out. Thanks

Old 08-13-2003 | 02:04 PM
Red Rider

First of all, where specifically are you going to ride?? How familiar are you with the local riding areas?? At first glance it may not seem like it, but unless you are going to go rock crawling, you can probably get by just fine 98% of the time on a sport bike. Unfortunately, the hybrid sport/ute (a light sporty bike with 4X4 and high ground clearance) doesn't exist and probably never will--it's just physically not possible. If you seriously need to do both big rocks and open desert/dunes/trails, you need two sets of bikes and some extra $$$$$$$

You are a big guy, and may be a little cramped on some bikes. Go to some place like Chaparral, and sit on all of them and see how they feel. I am 210, and the stock shocks on the Z and EX handle me just fine. At 240 lbs, you will need to crank up the preload on the shocks, but they will handle it. But, think about a set of aftermarket shocks specifically built for you some day.

How big is your son? He take after mom or dad?? If he is small, I highly recommend the Honda 90. My son goes EVERYWHERE I go, even on the 4X4. When the rocks get to big, we just carry his bike over it. If he is a bigger kid, one of the 250 class bikes (250EX, Z250, Recon, Ozark) or the Blaster, are all really sweet rides! My daughter is 13 (but passes for 18), and she handles the 400's and Ranchers real well. All her 13 year old friends do good on the 250's.

Your wife is a bit more of a problem because she is small, and wants an automatic. The Yamaha Breeze comes to mind, but it has limited suspension and no engine braking. If you can convince her to shift an autoclutch, the range of choices opens up quite a bit.

I frequently take people riding. Some time around Labor Day, we are going to have a beginners day somewhere up in the mountains, probably behind Lake Arrowhead near Pinnacles (where it is at least a little cooler!!). My friend is a beginner, and her two kids (10 and 6 I think?) have never ridden. So, I was going to take them out to give it a try. You are welcome to join us, and try whatever bikes we bring along.

Old 08-13-2003 | 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

The prairie and vinson are lighter and more stable than the polaris's are. You should ride one along with the others if you can. Riding one even for a few minutes will tell you alot about what will work for you and what won't. There are not any Utility 4x4s under 600 lbs. But some of them feel lighter than other when you ride them. And alot depends on where you will ride most and who you will ride with. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need help in Buying a good atv