Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for utility 350+ 4x4, which one to get? Have it narrowed down. Help me choose.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for utility 350+ 4x4, which one to get? Have it narrowed down. Help me choose.

what about a sportsmen 400 ?

Old 08-19-2003, 01:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for utility 350+ 4x4, which one to get? Have it narrowed down. Help me choose.

You didnt list the Bombardier outlander. 330 or 400. Fits all your criteria plus a three year warranty. I have the 330 and my brother has 2 400s. We are very happy with them.

Old 08-19-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

on the yamaha side, maybe instead of the kodiak 400, go with the 450. it has low range and the griz differential lock. I havent ridden anything but the kodiak. I have friends who have ranchers but I dont know much about them really. The rest I have never been around. The kodiaks are reliable, have plenty of power, low range is great for things like plowing or mowing. I pull a 40 inch cut mower with mine. good luck

Old 08-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

the rancher is a really reliable quad from my experience my dad has had one for about two years now and everthing thing is running great. The grizzly is a nice quad but might be too big for ya', lol. Anyways test em out and see what fits you best.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider

I personally wouldn't buy a Bruin because it is a first year of production for them - we all saw how much trouble Yamaha can have with that with the Raptor.

All of the other quads that you listed are known to be reliable and the owners of them seem happy with them. Now it just comes down to what you like when you go out and sit on them and take them for some test rides. If you want the maximum amount of fun, get the easiest turning, lightest, most nimble machine that will still do the work-oriented things that you want to do (but I think any you listed could easily plow snow, so no problem there, other than maybe making sure you got a bike with Low Range). But remember, light and nimble = huge fun factor. If you didn't want a few of the options you listed, I'd recommend the Wolvy. I would be willing to bet it is more fun on the trails than any that you listed - but it isn't automatic (just an auto-clutch), crappy water/mud protection, no push button 4WD (easily cured with a Warn 424 kit that makes it selectable 2 or 4), and no power outlet. I think the hitch will be a dealer-installed option on almost any bike you get, as it is on the Wolvy. But if you were willing to sacrifice the automatic, buy aftermarket fender extenders, and buy an aftermarket 4x4 selector and aftermarket power outlet, I would bet that you would have more fun than on any of the other bikes you listed. The sport part of the Wolverine's sport/utility really shines on the trails and it is more fun to ride than any other 4x4 I know of (other than maybe the Scrambler, which I'm not sure why, but you didn't list - I think it might have just about every option you listed). I know I see many a guy in the woods that stops and asks me "Hey man, what IS that thing?" after I've covered any badging with a layer of mud. I always stop and tell them it is a Wolverine - some guys out there no nothing about them. But they are quite interested if they see me riding with the Raptor, Banshee, and Z400 on the trails and keeping up (like this weekend), plus skating across that mud hole that they just got their big heavy bike stuck in - at that point, it seems like one hell of a great all around bike - and oh baby, it is. I personally wouldn't buy a bigger and heavier bike. This is my upper limit, and I'm trying to buy a sport quad now so I'll have both one that goes everywhere and one that is a ton of fun. But you don't have to sacrafice all of the fun when buying a 4x4 - just make sure it doesn't steer like some 4x4s I've ridden - they feel like you just lost power steering. If you are sure you want that automatic, maybe look at the Scramblers. I would pass on the 400 just because it is a 2-stroke (and I'm not even sure if they are making it now) - but it should be known that they do scream. And an auto makes it easier to ride a 2 stroke because it will keep you in the RPM band you should be in. But I would more likely consider the 500 Scrambler - they seem to be a lot of bike as well and quite a bit of fun - the closest thing out there to a Wolvy 'cept they are factory selectable from 2 to 4wd and are autos. The choice is yours, though - I don't think you would hate any you listed, nor quite a few others out there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

This is really great information guys. Please keep it coming. I know this is a dumb question, but between the low range and locking differential, what are the benefits of both features? I know low range is for more low end power for towing/plowing.

I think I have ruled out the Bruin. Between the fact that for a couple hundred dollars more I could step up to the Kodiak 400 and get 50cc more motor, plus the power outlet and hitch standard, and the fact that it's going to be the first model year for it. Now, between the Kodiak 400 and 450, I think the 450 is too far out of my price range at $6199. I know I could save up longer for one, but I'd rather get a different one you all recommended with the same features for less money and get it sooner. I didn't realize that most of the Yamahas don't have the low range. Are there any other ones that don't that I should know about?

As far as having ridden any of them, I haven't and am not sure how many dealers around me will let me test ride one around their parking lot or whatever. And I live about 5 minutes from downtown Cleveland, so the places I'd have to go to to see what other people are riding will be 45 minutes to an hour away. The only two quads I have ridden were my cousin's 1999 or 2000 Rancher 350 or 400, and my little cousin's Kawaski 220. I really liked the Rancher's full floor boards. Not because of being afraid of getting dirty, but the protection from sticks coming up through there, and it made it a little easier to ride with my girlfriend on the back. I really like the Hondas, but it seems to me that I can get the same amount of bike, or maybe a little more, for less money. Am I correct on that one? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Oh, and Rogan, thanks for the tip on the Honda pricing. I will definately look into them if it looks like I'm leaning towards the Hondas. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

From my list above, the Eiger and Arctic Cat seem to be the front runners right now. They both seem to have most of what I want, and the price is good. I'll have to look deeper into the complaints of the Arctic Cat being "noisy". Have any of you heard of or experienced this problem? If so, can you describe it in any way?

After I'm done writing this, I'm going to look up info about the Prarie 360, Bombardier 400, Sportmen 400, Scrambler, and the Wolverine. I feel stupid for asking this, but who makes the Sportsmen 400 and/or Scrambler? I want to look them up, but i haven't heard anything about them so I don't know the manufacturer. Like I said, I'm just getting started in all this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Wyowheeler, about the Bombardier's: You say that they have a 3 year warranty on them. My question is how is their quality? Some manufacturers will give a long warranty cause they are prone to problems, while some will give a long warranty cause they're usually dependable and won't need repairs so they'll use the longer warranty as a selling point. Just curious.

Thomez, about the Wolverine: You really have me second guessing myself about the automatic tranny, and maybe even the full floor boards with the way you're raving about that bike. I know how to shift, so an auto clutch 5-speed isn't a big deal. It was just more for convenience. But the full floor boards are still important to me. I don't mind getting wet/dirty, but I like the extra protection and comfort they offer. Is there any kind of kit for the Wolverines that you can get to add floor boards to them? If so, it's going to make my choices that much harder. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I sat on one last night at the dealer I went to and liked it. It was black. Pretty bad @$$ looking. Is there anything you don't like about it?

Thanks again for everyone's time. It's greatly appreciated!

Old 08-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

I've been on here preaching about these dealers for a while. They have the best prices I've seen. No set up fees. Usually $500 to $800 under MSRP. Romney Cycle in Romney West Virginia 304-822-3933. They sell Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki. If you want a Honda call Tri County Honda in St. Petersburg West Virginia 304-257-4420. I called a few days ago( for a friend) about the Rancher 400. They wanted $5395 Out the door. With that kind of $avings you could broaden your choices of ATVs. Maybe get a bigger one. It is well worth the drive.
Be careful!!! when most dealers quote a price they forget to tell you about set up, frieght, or Doc. fees. ( USUALLY AROUND $200 ) Ask your dealer what the Out The Door price is.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Polaris makes the scrambler and the sportsmen www.polarisindustries.com i think

Old 08-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Low range puts more torque to the ground. Great for pulling things and my grandpa sticks his in there when he is climbing a big hill, although I don't think it has ever been necessary. The locking differential is a nice option - it makes not just 3, but all 4 wheels spin. Many times you will see someone stuck and immediately you can see they have the wrong front spinning, and if their other would spin, they'd be out in no time. For that, it is handy. I think all of the Polaris bikes are a "true" 4 wheel drive, and the others offer lockers that you engage on the handlebars and such.

As far as dealers, there are several that will let you cruise around a parking lot on a demo bike or whatever. I didn't even bother when I bought my Wolverine, but I was sure it was what I wanted. It is a good idea to cruise them around if you can because you can either love or hate the ergonomics of a bike and you don't want it to be a pain to ride. I bought mine at J+J motors and they seemed nice enough, but I would buy a cycle trader to find dealers if I was looking. State 8 has everything imaginable and they probably would let your ride bikes there.

Hondas may be a little more money but I'll bet you they make up for it in dependability - 500 bucks now is better than a grand repair bill right after the warranty runs out on something else.

I think Bombadier is putting a big warranty on them because they are very confident in their dependability - and it is a put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is kind of game. Their idea is "we not only claim to be the most dependable, we'll guarantee it" I have never heard a bad thing about one, but I have never seen any of their utility models either. I do know that they are the up and coming ATV company out there right now and seem to be coming on strong with new innovations.

John, about the Auto - there isn't anything wrong with them - the new ones are looking like they are pretty solidly made and such - but... just like an automatic car, you do lose power with one. And every time you let off the throttle (say a turn) it spools out. When you hit it again, it has a minute hesitation to spool back in and start moving. I think of them as kind of like a centrifugal clutch. It just isn't and can't be the same as a manual. Also, one bad point in many of them is that they have NO engine braking feature. So you won't just go down a hill, you will FLY unless you are manually applying brakes. And even that isn't as good, because while mine will creep in 1st with the wheels turning, when you slam yours and they lock, the skid can be semi-out-of-control. My grandpa traded his Prarie 400 in for his new Prarie 650 for that very reason. He told my grandma "What would you do if my brakes failed in West Virginia?" Of course, she laughed, but him being the old man he is worried about it and used it as a viable excuse as to why to get a new one. If you are still going to get an automatic, make sure it has some kind of engine compression engine brake, and that it works well. Sometimes the tires just aren't enough to keep you in very good control.

I also can't forget to mention that the auto is excellent if you have a g/f, little brother, sister, whatever that is going to ride your bike around the yard. My mom does handle my Wolv fine though, so it isn't like it takes a population geneticist to figure out, but a little competence goes a long way. Especially if they are going to attempt any kind of hill climbing or whathaveyou - the auto is much safer for them because they will never have to downshift on the side of a hill and wake up on their backs with the handlebars wrapped around their neck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

About the floor boards - yeah, I get muddy on my Wolv, I have no reason to lie about it. Now that I put the Titan 489's on there, it is even a little worse. But Moose sells a fender extender kit for them that sells for only 53 dollars in Dennis Kirk magazine, and it adds a few inches to the fenders all around. I imagine it helps quite a bit. As far as floor boards, I'm sure someone out there sells a solid floorboard for the Wolv. It is just a sporty bike so it doesn't have them from the factory. Heck, people even sell nerf bars for them like a true sport bike - I'm considering some of them for next riding season, but if I get a new bike that will probably have to be put on hold.

You said you sat on a black Wolv and like it a lot - I'll be honest, the black looks GREAT - but maybe not for long. Black has to show scratches the easiest of anything, just as a fair warning. That is one reason I love my white color, it never seems to look any worse than it is. The Raptor also comes in black and I've heard owners say how hard it is to keep them looking good. Just like a black car or truck, it will always show the most. LOL- the only other option is probably Yamaha blue, and while it has to be better, I won't say it is much [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Is there anything I don't like about my Wolverine? I'm honestly thinking hard. Yes, there is. I wish it was selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive. But remember the Warn 424 kit does that for you for 250 bucks plus a few wrench hours. Trust me, it is on my birthday list already. LOL Hmmm ... what else? I honestly can't think of anything. When anyone asks how I like it, I always say " I love it" - and I can't help but say that if I was to only have one four wheeler from all that are made today, to do everything I want/need to do with one, I'd be buying another Wolverine. They do everything, and they do it well. Some will go through mud a little better, some probably have more comfy suspension, or better mud protection - but... no 4x4 that I've seen matches the fun factor of the Wolv offers. And I ride to have fun, so it fits me perfect.

I live about 50 minutes or so to the southeast of you. Somewhere near Warren, Akron, Youngstown, Ravenna, Kent, etc .. if you know those places. If you know of Hiram College, I'm about 10 minutes from there. In all seriousness, if you want to test ride my Wolv, call me up. I'm home til this Friday when I go back to school, but anytime til then you can come ride in my grandparents field, play in a small mudhole, anything you want. My uncle also has an Arctic Cat 400 auto there you could cruise around too. A good comparison I guess. I'd bet my dinner that you'd rather have a Wolverine though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Call me - seriously - 330-606-7726

Old 08-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I was you I would look at the Bombardier Outlander 400 4x4. It fits all your specifications. I have rode one and it is the smoothest riding machine on the market. won atv of the year in several magazines. It has the most power in its class and is the fastest. Also Bombardier is known for making reliable quads. The only thing that you might not like about it is its looks. but personally I think it looks awesome. another thing its front differential is one of the best systems there is

Quick Reply: Looking for utility 350+ 4x4, which one to get? Have it narrowed down. Help me choose.