Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Rancher, Big Bear, Sportsman...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2000, 03:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts, input, advice, regrets??
I really like the new Rancher, just wondering on the power end of things, how is it? How about the trusty proven Foreman?
Is the Polaris Sportsman 500 worth the extra money?
Anyone know what the performance of each machine might be?
What would be best for trail riding?
Give me any input you can, Im torn here.

Old 05-29-2000, 10:52 PM
MXZ
Range Rover

Go with the Rancher it has that new digital speedo, the new differential in the front end, and alot cheaper than others out there. Plus the Polaris has a belt, no good get in deep water and you hope you have a Honda Rancher there to pull you out, all they do is slip.

2000 Recon
Great Quad, No Problems yet

Old 05-30-2000, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have tried all three and am a bit biased towards the SP500. Best 4x4 system and super plush ride plus the extra cc's to top it all off. The big bear I rode was a bit older model so it did not impress me too much. The newer models look very nice though. As for the Honda, it too is a great machine but I find the Polaris has more bite!
Do not worry about the belt thing...it is an exagerated comment here in these forums. If you ride in water deep enough to make the belt slip then your in 2 1/2 to 3 foot deep H2O!!! That ain't good for any quad!
Try out all 3 and make a choice depending on your personal taste!

To shift or not to shift...that is the question...

Old 05-30-2000, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I "think" I have narrowed it down between the rancher and the sp500. What I really need to know is, is there ANY comparison between the two, is the sp500 worth the extra $1500 or so?

Old 05-30-2000, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

You should go with the Rancher. Some of my friends have Polaris's and they are always in the shop for all sorts of defferent reasons. The Rancher is a better trail machine. I have have a Rancher 4x4 es and I have went everywhere my freinds with sportsmans went. I hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2000, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

resently posted. 2 1/2 to 3 foot of water before belt slips. Now my reply is that you can take the honda rancher 5 feet and no belt slips because it hase no belt and the all the honda machins i've
drove hade handled it fine in deep water and i mean samerged over the handel bar's. Sounds kinda funy how it can still run when it is totally samerged but they did. I havn't drove my new rancher though anything yet but I'll let you now
how it does.

Old 05-30-2000, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANYONE,who thinks their quad will still run in 5 feet of water is hilucinating.The airbox needs an air opening to breath in air,if it is filled with water,water wont burn,then the end result is a drowned engine,and than it dont matter if your quad is belt driven or gear driven.It just stalls.

The belt thing on the Polaris is well over stated as a problem on their quads.The use of the right gear ranges in the proper situations will avoid belt problems.I have reports of riders going over 5000 miles on a single belt.I personally would take the Sportsman over any Honda 4x4 presently made.You certainly get alot of extra's,ground clearance,liquid cooling,IRS,disk brakes,and an AWD system that will supply power to ALL 4 wheels instead of 3,like on limited slip models.No Honda 4x4 offers the plush ride of the Sportsman either.Honda does make a nice 4x4,they all do,it's just some have more options as standard equipment that others dont offer.

Good Luck===BILL

Old 05-30-2000, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

i've seen my friend go under the handle bars.
And im not the one who makes up stories i hat people that make up stories. Honda may not be the best for all the chassis but it is the best engine
out there today.

Old 05-31-2000, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

no brainer, go with the honda. I own both of these bikes, a sp500 and rancher and believe me you won't regret saving the $1500 either. The Polaris will give you the nicer ride, no question. But it will also tend to overheat quicker, go through brakes faster and break down more often. Plus the rancher is more fun to drive, it's about 170 lbs lighter and fairly sporty when compared to the Polaris. Oh yeah, forgot to mention resale, the Honda wins hands down.

Old 05-31-2000, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going up to water the top height of your handlebars is going to drown out your engine with water,the quad will stall.This is a ''NO BRAINER'' as well.

This can best be explained by going in a swimming pool yourself.What happens if you try to breath underwater without the aid of an air snorkle or similer device?

YOU WILL DROWN.=====BILL

Quick Reply: Rancher, Big Bear, Sportsman...