Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Whats a good first sport atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good first sport atv

I was just wondering what would be the best sport atv is. I have narrowed my choices to a Honda 250ex,Yamaha Blaster,Suzuki Z250,and maybe a Kawaski Mojave. The reason I say maybe about the Mojave is because I've never ridden a manual clutch. Is it hard? I like hondas though don't get me wrong I like all atvs. I would like a cheaper one but thats the blaster and thats only a 195cc engine. I've never ridden on either of these. Are all these good first sport quads.Thanks.

Ride On!!!!!

Jace200sx

Old 09-17-2003, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

I have narrowed it down to either a 250ex or a blaster. I didn't think I 'd like the manual clutch and I'm not a big fan on suzuki. Thanks.

Ride On!!!!!!

Jace200sx

Old 09-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to rethink things: The Blaster is also a manual clutch. Of your original four, you have two distinct types - the Mojave and Blaster will be in one group - older style bikes, manual clutch. Both are good reliable models that have been proven. Mojave will be the faster of the two, due to size.

The other group will be the 250ex and z250 - basically beginner level sport bikes. Both very similar in price and specs but you will find that the z is just a little better than the ex in all areas. If you hate 'zuki's and love Hondas then get the ex, but the z is a better bike.

The first group will give you more sport, the second group more ease of use. FWIW, one of the mags did a comparison of these four. Ranked them: #1 - Z250, #2 - Mojave, #3 Blaster, #4 250EX.

Another factor to consider is your size - the Blaster is kinda small, Mojave is the largest.

Jaybee

Old 09-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your height, weight, and age??? The Blaster is smallish, light, and a lot of fun, but can be tempermental (hard to start). The 250EX is heavier, larger, and more durable. If you ride a lot of mud/water, the Blaster has chain drive (not so good), where the 250 has shaft drive.

That 195cc blaster is a 2-stroke, where the 250EX is a 4-stroke. That is like comparing apples and oranges!!

Old 09-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I forgot that the blaster is a manual clutch. Well I would mostly be riding trail I'm not sure what size I want. The reason I chose blaster and the 250EX is there cheaper. Is a manual clutch hard to learn how to use? Although a automatic clutch would be kind of nice. The reason I don't like "zukis" is because I've only ridden one and I really didn't like. I've ridden a honda just like it and liked it much better. I don't really want a large atv. So I cut out the mojave. I'm still thinking about the "zuki". I've ridden on an Ozark before. It was an ok quad. I like the honda and the blaster but i don't know about the manual clutch. Maybe the zuki I'm not that sure.Thanks Jaybeecon55!!

Jace200sx

Old 09-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

i rank em
1. z
2. mojave
3. ex
4. blaster
i dont care for the 2 strokes, and a beginner shouldnt use a manual clutch to start off on. shaft driven make less maintenance, only reason i put the z before the mojave, is that mojave is kick start only, that electric will do good on trails [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Well everyone knows the real question of this topic....... Who would win blastervstree mojavevstree z250vstree 250exvstree..... I think the mojave would win

Old 09-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Jace, if you are planning on sticking with the sport for a while, learning a clutch depending on your ability is a good thing to know. is it hard to learn, practice alot and it should take you no time. i would maybe look into the blaster, depending on your size because it is a small bike. but the blaster is a two stroke with a lot of available mods for it and it would not take much to get more speed out of it then you ever would a 250ex,z250.
later sparx

Old 09-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry guys I couldn't get on to reply.I'm 13 almost 14 and 5'3 and 145lbs. Do you guys rank them because you like the brand or what the atv actually is. The 250ex has only electric start right? Yes I would like a electric start. So the blaster actually is sometimes hard to start? Is there a lot of mods for all of these? At least for the z250 and the 250ex? So you guys vote the z250 over the 250ex?Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!

Jace200sx

Old 09-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

I was also thinking of a warrior but I know there manual clutch. Probably a used one though because there kinda expensive new. Is this a ok quad? It's a 6-speed and it would be more then I'm used to, I only driven a 5-speed atv. If there is any quad you guys prefer let me know. I'm only willing to spend about 4,000 at the most, maybe a few hundred more. I think I'll drop the mojave, I think it's to big and too expensive. The blaster Is a little small and want something maybe a little bigger.Thanks!!!!!

Jace200sx

Quick Reply: Whats a good first sport atv