Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Extra charges on top of the price of the vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003 | 04:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Extra charges on top of the price of the vehicle

Honda is offering 6.9% right? Anyway, where does he get 12%? I don't think that Honda is offering 12%. He's either trying to really bulls..t you or he deals with other lenders. (Car dealers will try to get people to get a loan through certain banks that a dealership deals with. Then the loan could be sold from lender to lender.) I wonder if you could just take the Recon back and cancel the paperwork. (Considering he wanted to rewrite the paperwork to screw you more.) I'm sure the salesman would say no but I wonder if it's legal to return it within a certain time period.

The local news channels love to help people with problems like this. Do they do that in your area? I'm sure the dealership would hate to be on tv because of this problem.

Old 12-21-2003 | 03:43 AM
Trailblazer

kmsweb, You've been had. Your dealer is a crook, but you should have still had the wits to catch it in time. One thing EVERYONE must remember. When you buying a quad for 3300 and you get in there little office and you go over the paperwork and the bottom line is now 5K+, STOP, STOP, STOP. Don't sign anything. Pick up you belongings and walk out the door. It's that easy. Shame on your dealer, but you should have also caught it. If you believe there was fraud involved, like they hid the details, see your local police department.
Jarrett

Old 12-25-2003 | 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Since its going thru Honda, I d make sure Honda knew they are charging all those fees. A recon is worth $3499, SO why did they finance $5k? Its possible that some fraud took place on the dealerships part, on the financing. If for some reason, you dont pay off the loan and they have to repo it, no way it ll be worth what they paid the dealer. Therefore, something shady could be on the part of the dealer again.

I d send a request for cancelling the extended warranty to Honda or even fax it. The salesman is prolonging it bc if it s not cancelled in a certain time, he still gets his commission. If you cancel after that time, he doesnt lose anything. I d also find out the owners name and send a certified letter to him, telling him what was going on, how you were treated,the bogus overcharges, etc etc.

If you have a truck, I d make signs and put them on it. I d ride up in down in front of the dealership on my days off saying how you were ripped off. "I BOUGHT THIS AT HONDA X AND THEY RIPPED ME OFF. ASK ME FOR DETAILS". I wouldnt do it on their property bc they could get you for trespassing.

But before doing that, I d get in touch with the owner first. Its possible he knows nothing of this and the salesman could be pocketing some money.

Brad

Old 12-26-2003 | 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

kmsweb,

That was the best thing for ya...(the salesman to say he had to redo the paperwork), if he cancels the orginal you are not bound to sign the new ones at his "new terms". Tell him that the deal is off. If you can get or make a copy of all the paperwork and send it to Honda with a nice letter expressing your concern with what type of dealers that they have representing their products. I would do whatever I could to get out of that deal...there are other Honda dealers. Im sure someone in this form has dealt with a dealer close to you that is at least fair. (they have to put food on thier tables too, but there is a difference between fair and raping ya). Good luck.

Ice

Old 01-01-2004 | 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Please let all the other ATV enthusiast in your area know that this place is out to rip them off. We have one just like them Its called Penco and they will flat rip you off. Put the word out and dont give them a cent for anything. When shoping allways ask for out the door price tell them stright up you dont care about or want to here about any charge the book keeping is thire problem and you are not interested on how they come up with the out the door price. Also let them know that you know what the list price is. I have never paid full list for any quad or bike in my life . This week I bought a new 450 Kodiak for my wife and had the same run around from PENCO the biggest ripoff in the state of Montana. Needless to say I did not buy it from the ripoffs at PENCO In KALISPEL Montana. Did I mention that we also have a ripoff in are area PENCO YAMAHA of Kalispel Montana.

Old 01-02-2004 | 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Kmsweb- Where did they get $800. for an extended warranty? How long was the warranty for?

The 42 month extended warranty is only $629.64. That would be 4 years including the original 6 months that comes with a quad.

Old 01-03-2004 | 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

In canada, you legally have 30 days to return the quad.

My friend bought a white z400 last year, helmet, boots and chest protection.
They said the quad would be ready in 4 days, so the 4th day came and he called in the morning.

"call back this afternoon it'll be ready sir"

you know what? the quad wasn't even ordered.
It took 21days to have it, and i'll save you all the mess that came with it.
They called on the morning saying the quad was finally ready, he went to pick it up, and guest what the color was yellow.
He refused to pick it up, so they ordered white plastics and installed them.
2 days later he come to pick it up, everything is fine.
Once home he quickly get the the z400, make a couple of wheelies then put it in the garage but inspect the bike closely.
ALL plastic bolts were overtorqued and got eated up because the mechanic used the wrong tools.
He had enough, the next morning he made some calls and called a lawyer, the morning after he went to the dealer and left the bike with the keys right in front the window because they said they wont take it back and 3 weeks later they repaid my friend every cent (exept the accessories like the helmet)

This is in Canada tho... sadly, horror story happens everywhere.

But i remember one from another forum, someone got screwed and paid way too much for a sport quad that had a "about to blow" engine and couldn't get his money back and he sold the atv without paper and declared it stolen to get his money back...

Dont take it as an option... learn from this... happens to everyone... i bought a jeep 2 years ago and paid way too much for it because i was just in a hurry to get one, i paid every cent of it but thrust me next time i'll look closer.

good luck

Old 01-03-2004 | 03:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

kmsweb,

Hey there. How are things going? Any update on your plight? Have you heard anything from Honda or the BBB?

Take Care

Old 01-04-2004 | 01:28 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well, no I have not heard anything yet, I should hear something within 30 days from the BBB. My husband had talked to a guy at another dealership that used to work at the place we bought our ATV from. He had nothing but bad things to say about them and how they've been ripping people off for a long time. He said that they had many complaints about gouging. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the consumer protection laws in Michigan. I am thinking that I will also write a letter to the Attorney General since he would handle issues relating to consumer protection.

So I guess I should get the word out- its Great Lakes Powersports in Burton Michigan. I looked up their license on the Michigan government website and found the other assumed names for this company, Great Lakes Motor Sports, and Proffer Moter Sports.

Old 01-04-2004 | 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, this really sucks!! This place should NOT be in business! I am from Canton Michigan and have an idea for you. Check the credit unions. Peoples Trust Credit Union in Detroit (also Southfield), is VERY easy to join. You can (done this myself) join, then request a loan. If you have decent credit, you can get an AUTO loan for an ATV there (pretty cool), the current interest rate is 3.49 with direct deposit. Use that loan to "buy" the atv and screw the warranty. I would also notify the The State Attroney Generals Office. I recently (last year really) bought a Kaw. Prairie 650 4x4 at Bright Kaw (Downriver) for $6100 out the door and got the 4 year Ext warranty for another $400 (Total $6500), got the loan from the credit union, then paid it off in about a year. Cost VERY little in interest and got a decent bike.
I bought 4 different quads over the last few years and have learned to SHOP AROUND, there are a lot of dealers that pull all kind of crap and this is an example of one of them. PLEASE let EVERYONE know about this dealer - NAme and such so WE NEVER go to him!!!
Also check out www.atvoffroad.net there is some great info on ATVing in michigan. We set up bunchs of rides and have a great time. Good luck and enjoy your quad! Hondas are great machines and I am sure you will like it, just too bad about the dealer.
Scott

Quick Reply: Extra charges on top of the price of the vehicle