Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Tax, title, and license?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003 | 12:10 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Tax, title, and license?

I have not talked to the dealer directly over the phone yet, but by email I have been quoted a price out the door from Oklahoma for two new 450Rs. It does not sound like they are including tax, title, and license. They will be shipped from OK to AZ so I understand no tax, but what about title and license? This is my first new quad purchase. Has everyone gotten title and license with their new quads?

Old 12-20-2003 | 12:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess it depends on if your state requires a license. I have a title and license for mine. If you asked for an Out the Door price then it should include these things. You should ask them what it includes before you agree to anything. You might have to do certain things within your state for an additional cost. Watch out for the scams.

Old 12-26-2003 | 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

Keep in mind that when you go to register it in Arizona they will want proof you paid sales tax, if you didn't, you'll need to before you can title and register it in Az. The dealer in Oklahoma probably didn't mention that part, did he.

Old 12-27-2003 | 06:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

I am just going to keep the title they give me from Oklahoma and just have fun riding my quad. Who gives a damn if i get it registered here in AZ.

Old 12-27-2003 | 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

The dealer in Oklahoma isn't going to give you an Oklahoma title without you paying sales tax, he's going to give you an MSO. You may not give a damn about not having a title now, but you will in a couple of years when you go to sell it or trade it in and you can't, without a title. Two other points, and I'll get off my soapbox.

1. A MSO is not proof of ownership. What happens if the Bike is stolen? How do you prove it's yours if it's recovered? A bill of sale ain't enough.

2. When you register an ATV for off road use (as required in Arizona), a portion of that registration fee you pay goes toward maintaining trails and off road riding areas. Do you plan to ride only on private property, or do you plan to ride in areas that you played no part in heling keep open and maintained. In other words, are you a responsible member of the ATV community, or just a law-skirting mooch.

Old 12-28-2003 | 12:27 PM
|
Trailblazer

This is what I was trying to find out by posting this thread. It seems everyone I ask about this is clueless on this subject. Basically I just want to buy a 450R at the best price I can possibly pay. Oklahoma is quoting $5800 out the door and the local dealers are quoting $7200 out the door (even though I am buying three). I am not trying to be a "law-skirting mooch", I am simply trying figure out what I am up against if I tryed to purchase from Oklahoma.

1. How do I get my quad registered once it is shipped to me?

2. Is this costly or should I just buy from AZ dealer?

3. Why would I have to pay AZ tax if I bought it from OK?

Old 12-28-2003 | 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

okay here it is i live in pa my parents live in md we went to a local dealer that has the best service and prices around ,we bought 3 quads (listed below) for $10,000.00 out the door, no tax no register & no tag.we were able to do this because we had them sent to md for only $50.00 for all 3.so they did not leagaly have to chagre us sales tax or make us register them in pa since there staying in md. BUT if i do want to register them in Md i will have to pa Md. sales tax and the paper work here also, since we have over 100 acres to ride on privatly im not worried about it. The only reason to register it if you go to state land that reqires a tag then you would have to register it. It is costly so I wouldnt register if you didnt need to. also make sure they dont require you to have shipped , they might make you pay tax if you pick it up any ?s just ask ....good luck

Old 12-28-2003 | 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

From what I know about the laws in Jersey. If you buy a vehicle out of state or in state and go to DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to register it. It doesnt matter where you bought it from they charge you the state tax (the state you are registering it in). So if you intend on registering it, it would be in your best interest to get the lowest price. If you buy it in your own state, the dealer will collect the sales tax and all you would have to pay is the registration fee. If you buy it out of state, you would have to pay your state sales tax and the registration fee at motor vehicles. Just be careful, with the ecommerce on the internet state lawmakers are realizing that their states are losing significant funds in out of state sales. Some are trying to pass laws that anything bought in their state gets charged thier state's sales tax. I believe New york is trying to do this now. Thus if that gets passed, and you lived in New Jersey, went to buy a machine in New York and register it in New Jersey. New your would charge you 8.25% sales tax, then New Jersey would charge you 6% sales tax at time of registration. Thus I would ask all these questions to the dealer before the sale. They have been around the block and know exactly what you are trying to do. They will tell you if there is a law requiring them to charge sales tax to everyone.

This is where I screwed up with my trailer. I knew I would have to pay NJ sales tax due to the fact it must be registered. I bought from a NJ dealer for a higher cost than in NY. If I had bought in NY I would have paid sales tax (6% not 8.25%) at the time i registered it. Thus it would have worked out to be cheaper by a couple of hundred dollars. I was just in to much of a rush after I purchased the machine to get a trailer, and now i'm kicking myself in the *** for not thinking it through.

Ice

Old 12-28-2003 | 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

I'd recommend you go to the Dealer in Tucson with quote in hand from the Oklahoma dealer, and see if they'll match it. $5400 plut tax tag, and title sounds like a pretty good deal on a 450R, you might want to have the Oklahoma dealer clarifiy whether or not he's aqdding any other fees, like freight or setup. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-29-2003 | 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hate to tell you guys but in Oklahoma you do not title your quads so no matter weather you live here or not you are only going to get an MSO. I put my address as Texas because i have a P.O. Box down there and I did not have to pay any tax.

Quick Reply: Tax, title, and license?