Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

predator..400ex..z400

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator..400ex..z400

I am saving for my future years..when i hit 17. (i'm 14 now) I can ride lots' o quads. Still getting that clutch down but i'll definatly get it by the time i'm 17. I'm interested in the differnces betewen them..as in power...reliability..and the most important ...which is the most FUN! Thank you for your help you guys.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

The differeneces between the Pred and the EX and Z are pretty big(the Z and EX being grouped together here). But the EX and Z are fairly close. The Polaris is a larger displacement machine, and is faster than both out of the box(brand new and in stock condition) in a drag race. On a track they are all pretty close with the Pred and Z pretty even but both just a bit better than the EX. As for trail riding it's pretty much the same as on the track, although the Pred can pull away from the Z on open, wide trails. Both the Z and the Pred offer liquid cooling while the EX is air cooled(not always a bad thing/it's very reliable).

As far as modifications, the EX and Z have a slight edge over the Polaris. As for potential for modification, the Z has the most potential for mods. Most potential meaning that it will respond the best and have a larger capacity for modification. The EX would come in second here as it also is a very prime candidtate for modification. The Polaris comes in last here as it is the better tuned machine out of the box and therefore has the least amount of potential improvement over the factory setup.

There are a few more differences in the machines. All three are electric start but only the Z offers a reverse option. The EX is the cheapest of the bunch, with the Z coming in a few hundred more, then you have the Polaris a few hundred more than the Z(don't quote me on the prices as I am not sighting MSRP from the manufacturers, the reality is that the EX will be way cheaper in dealers than the Z, and the Preditor will be priced pretty far above the Z, I'm talking real life dealer prices).

Conclusion: (Trail) All three are very good machines, with pleanty of features to make everyone happy. If I were buying a pure trail machine, I would have a very hard time choising between the Polaris and Suzuki Z. It would depend on the kinds of trials I ride. If the trails are a bit open and have long straights, I would go for the Polaris. If the trails are tight and twisty, I would go for the Z. The EX neither shines nor sucks in either situation, although the Z bests it in both.

(Track) The Z is lighter and quicker on the track than a Preditor(all bikes being stock). But the Polaris can hang with the Suzuki because of it's ability to really eat woops and straights for lunch. The Z can outpace the Pred in the tight stuff but the Pred can close impressively on the straights. The EX is right there with both of them, only trailing because of a slight HP disadvantage. If this were racing(with modifications), the Z leads the way with the EX a bit behind and the Polaris trailing. We already discussed mod effectiveness, so refer to the first paragraph.

As I've said all three are great bikes. It all depends on what the rider wants to do.

My pick would be the Suzuki Z. It's a great riding quad, with all of the potential to be a serious racer. It can also perform on the trails with the best of them. Coming in a bit more pricey than the EX and a bit less than the Polaris, the Z is a good value. The reverse seals the deal for me as I'm an avid trail rider and I cherish reverse.

Ride all three and decide which machine fits your needs the best.

Old 01-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

by the time youre 17 there will be great new sport quads [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2004, 04:26 AM
Pro Rider

yea in 3 yrs there will be something better

Old 01-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

there will be better quads in 3 years but will you be able to afford a new 1.
out of all of those i like the predator. it has the best stock motor out of all of them, the best suspension and handling.