Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2001 Bear Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2000 | 11:58 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I was wondering,would a Bear Tracker be good for a female rider? I am thinking of buying one and would like everyone's input on what would be best.

Old 07-03-2000 | 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

The Beartracker is the model that Yamaha produced to replace the Timberwolf which had a reputation for being underpowered. Their answer to this problem was to take the same basic engine as the Timberwolf and increase the stroke while adding a carburator with a larger intake.

I have not seen any comments from Beartracker owners as to how well it outperforms the old Timberwolf.

Old 07-03-2000 | 08:31 PM
Range Rover

Aprildawn, hi I ride a 99 beartracker, Im a 185 pound rider,{male} I use mine Mostly for busting trails in riverbottom swamp land, I installed Kenda Bearclaw tires,k@n airfilter, and a cooling fan, It does everything I need it to do , except beat a Yamaha Banshee in a drag race, Its a good all around 2x4 very good reliability , run rear shock in softest posion ,much better ride. Vmaxer

Old 07-03-2000 | 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Forget the Beartracker and buy a Honda Recon!!! I had a Beartracker, to give to the wife, and now have a Recon, which the wife rides. The Beartracker has "little" low end torque, as for the Recon, incredible low end torque for a 250! Go out and do yourself a favor, test ride a Beartracker, and then test ride a Recon, and ask yourself which quad would you want your wife riding. NO COMPARISON! Dirtwheels had a shootout which involved the two last year and the Recon ate it up!!! Jeff. 97 Recon, 97 Lakota, 00 Rancher Es4x2.

Old 07-04-2000 | 12:50 AM
Trailblazer

if a beartracker is ridden right, its a very good machine. no, i agree, its definetly not a banshee beater, but it will keep up with a lot of the quads on the trails-even my buddies rm 125(but thats because he doesnt know how to ride) I think the 34mm carb is huge and creates a lot of power, the bottom end power isnt great, but as long as your revving full throttle in any low gears you will make it up and hill climb you will want to try. The beartracker is very reliable and is full sized unlike some of the other 250's--recon-- and has a top end,unlike some other 250's--recon-- nothing against the recon, but i think the beartracker is a great machine. i have never had problems with my 2000 its very capable. It doesnt like to get much air but i've ridden wheelies over 200 feet. I would like to modify mine though for more power and to keep it running cooler when its really hot out, do any other beartracker owners have any good mods they have done to their machines? if so, reply to this message or email me

2000 Beartracker red, Superwinch T1500

Old 07-04-2000 | 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Female or Male it doesn't matter, Honda's Recon is a superior machine. The Yamaha has little or no engine protection from what I can see.

Old 07-04-2000 | 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

I dont think the engine protection is really a factor. I have ridden some pretty extreme terrain and never had problems. I once hit some chunks of concrete, about 1 foot, by 2, and about 8" tall. I hit one block so hard it killed the motor. I didnt break the cases or anything. It all depends on how you look at it though. the honda maybe be quicker, but a lot smaller. If running both machines wide open on the straights, good luck recon. its the same with cargo capacities-no camparison.
Just my input

2000 Beartracker red, Superwinch T1500

Old 07-04-2000 | 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

RECON RECON RECON. My goodness. Same price, Honda, much better. Don't take my word for it. Look in archives of ATV connection when they did the comparison and gave the edge to the Recon. Read its reviews of the Recon and the Beartracker. Recon wins!

Old 07-04-2000 | 11:50 PM
Range Rover

beartracker10,i have a red 99' Beartracker.Does it really ride alot better in the softest setting
because i just notched mine to the third notch for jumps ruff terrain etc.and do you no if you can get harder springs for the front because i want to eliminate excessive body roll and botoming out; they seem alittle too soft.thanks.

Old 07-05-2000 | 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Can you get a 4x4 beartracker?

Quick Reply: 2001 Bear Tracker