Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Bombardier Outlander Max vs Artic Cat 500TRV vs Suzuki Vinson 500???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier Outlander Max vs Artic Cat 500TRV vs Suzuki Vinson 500???

Hey all,

2k4 Bombardier Outlander Max 400 H.O. XT
vs
2k4 Artic Cat 500 TRV
vs
2k4 Suzuki Vinson 500

I was just wondering from those out there which 4x4 you would prefer and any info on the pros and cons on the above. I am looking at buying a new 4x4 and the above is what I have narrowed it down to. I do a lot of 2up riding so that is why I am looking at the longer wheelbase models.

Currently I am drawn to the Outlander for looks and bombardiers reliability, but not sure how it will handle in the mud. Friends of mine own Vinsons with 4" lift kits and MUDLITE tires. Its damn near impossible to get those things stuck!! Well let me know what you all think.

Thank you Muchly

Old 02-10-2004, 10:41 PM
TRV
Trailblazer

TRV all the way, especially for LEGAL 2 person riding. Better suspension and stability, same dependable Suzuki engine as the Vinson. The only way to go if riding 2 people. Riding 2 people on a single person ATV is, well, stupid!

Old 02-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Range Rover

The Outlander Max is legal for two-up riding as well with its two factory seats.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

If I was to go with the Suzuki Vinson I would purchase and aftermarket 2up seat so that it would be legal. I would not have my girlfriend riding on the bars or try to squeeze onto the seat....that is stupid and just not comfortable at all.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: TRV
TRV all the way, especially for LEGAL 2 person riding. Better suspension and stability, same dependable Suzuki engine as the Vinson. The only way to go if riding 2 people. Riding 2 people on a single person ATV is, well, stupid!

TRV....have you test riden the Outlander MAX? or are you just basing your decision on owning yours.

How do you find your atv in the mud? The terrain where I will be riding is northern Ontario Canada, its rocky and full of swamps and mud that is why I am looking for something with independant suspension. I have heard many positive things about the AC TRV but not too much when comparing it to a Outlander. Thats why I am hoping to find out as much as I can from Owners like yourself.

What have you found on Pros VS cons on your machine?

Old 02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

It might be something to consider - on some advertising for the Bombardier "Max" lineup, it was noted that the passenger seat was designed to be in front of the rear axle, to keep it from being too wheelie happy. That might be something to consider versus getting a single seat and converting it.

I haven't ridden (well, much of anything, really) the Outlander Max, but the regular Outlander had the nicest ride. Ever. If I wasn't going to get a sport atv, that would be at the top of my shopping list.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Very true on the two up riding. When I was at the dealer that was something that he pointed out. He said one of the main advantages of the MAX vs the regular Outlander would be when climing hills because the weight is distrubted more evenly it will have less tendency to feel like it is going to tip. Also trail riding is alot better when riding two up as that is what it was designed for.

I am really geared to the Outlander Max unless some one proves a good case against it. And the only other thing in the running right now is the Artic Cat 500 TRV. I am just wondering if becuase the outlander is a 400 does it really lack that much power in comparison to the TRV. How is the outlander on going through the mud. I am not worried about dragging this quad and being the fasted on pavement as it is a trail quad not a sport quad. I just dont want to be the guy always getting pulled out of the mud or the guy everyone waites on to rewind their winch (unless its from pulling the other guy out)

Old 02-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I would take a good look at the TRV. The Outlander is a great machine, but more sporty and not as rugged as the Cat. If you go through a lot of mud and snow, I would take Cat. It has a long wheelbase, more ground clearance, and more suspension travel. The 400HO on the Outlander is a great engine, but is can't compare to the 500 Cat. If you like to use your racks, forget about it on the Outlander, they are a bad joke, but they do look cool. Either way, be sure you ride them both before buying. Each person has their own opinion!