Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

want to buy a atv for my son

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to buy a atv for my son

The 250s are perfect for him to start out on and you wouldn't have to buy a bigger one in a years time. I suggest any 250 utility cause they have an auto clutch and you can control the power with the thottle limiter. The Ozark or Recon would be perfect. They're not intimidating (size or power) and would be quite entertaining for years to come. I WOULD NOT suggest a Blaster! Too much, too soon.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went through the same thing. My son just turned 11 on 2/11. He is about 4'7" and 80 lbs. We looked at dirt bikes, then small quads. I ended up getting him a '04 Honda 250EX. He loves it and handles it surprisingly well for it being his first atv. I'm 6'2"/200lbs. and I bought myself one too. While it is fun, I'm thinking about getting a bigger one. A local dealer has a used '04 400EX, but I want reverse.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

If he's never ridden before you don't want too much too soon. I'd go for the 80 or a 90 and if he outgrows it in a year or two so be it. You can always buy another bike, but not another son.

I bought my then 6 going on 7 year old daughter an LT50 for Xmas 2002. She outgrew it in less than a year. I sold it for about $100 less than what I bought it for and upgraded her to an LT80 this fall. The LT80 is powerful enough, even with the throttle way down, to haul around a 200# grandpa. It's more than enough for a child. My daughter is about 4'6" now and is just the right size for the 80. The Yamaha Breeze was one other quad I considered, but when she sat on it in the showroom it was obvious that right now she is too small to properly handle the 125. I know that in about two years I'll be selling the 80 and buying 125, but there's always a market for used kids quads.

Just a note, there's a place near where I live in So. Cal. that rents quads. The largest size they have is a Honda 90 - all the adults use them and they move pretty quick. Before I bought her the 50 we went there and I made her try both the 50 and the 90, at first she wanted the big bike, but when she sat on it and started it up she wanted off! She was too intimidated. She handled the 50 and changed her mind on the size bike she wanted. I made her at least try the 90, which she handled just fine, but for her own comfort level I bought the 50 and when she was ready upgraded her to the 80. Don't rush things with children just to save some money!

Old 02-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with katstoy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definately go with a smaller bike at first. A 250 or blaster is way to much for a 9 yr old to handle. Come on people, those bikes are all 3+ times his weight and way to powerful for a first time immature rider. hp703, Look to the 90's, possibly a 125 or 160. You know your child best as to his personality and what not. He will probably outgrow the 90 pretty quick, so plan on some aftermarket goodies as his abilities increase.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Another consideration is how strong is your son? If he dumps the quad (and you know he will) can he lift 300# off of him? When I was deciding between the Breeze 125 and LT 80 I lifted the front end of each quad up. I could lift the 80 no problem. I had to strain to lift the 125. Imagine your son being pinned under one! I know my daughter can lift and move the LT 80 (for example when she wants to back up she gets off and pulls it around) without my help. She has almost dumped it twice (wider tires are on the way) and I know that there will be a lesser chance of her being crushed by a bike that doesn't weigh as much.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For a first time rider, and a youngster, don't go to big. I would get one to use for about a year or so to get used to it and practice. Trust me, if you shop around, you can find one that you can turn around in a year and not lose any money. I would get a 80 or 90. If you get an LT 80, find one that has been widened already, save you some money since you will only have it for a short time. Let him learn to ride first. Then move up to LT160, or something similar in size.

You don't want to go to big, but physically you want him to fit the quad also. You don't want to get a quad that is physically way to small, or way to big. Shop around.

Good luck