Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Fair price for new atv

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fair price for new atv

I'm planning on buying my son a new DS50 atv and was wondering what would be a fair price to offer? With vehicles other than Ford i always offer 2% above invoice and most of the time they go for it, i get ford products through our x-plan wish we had it for atvs. The MSRP on the DS50 is $1799 ans that is the price the dealer offered it to me. I haven't started hagling, Yet! but my question is how much can a dealer drop and still make an acceptable profit? I'm also thinking of trading in my sons 2003 PW50 but probably wont because i don't think they will give me enough so if anyone is interrested in one??? bought it in june last year and he hasn't rode it in two months because he has been grounded from it, long story on that. i was going to buy the atv today but i think i will wait till next weekend so let me know how much i should give. i know theres some people out there that work at dealerships. thanks everyone.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Sod
Trailblazer

Hey Texas -
You are paying to mush for your Vehicles. You can buy Ford Chevys and Dodges all day for invoice. The dealer collects a "hold back" from the corporation at year end. Anything they get over invoice is pure gravy for them. If I am trying to buy a "hard to get" model I sometimes have to pay invoice plus $100, at most! Invoice does not represent the dealers cost.

I don't know how much mark up there is in ATVs so I can't help you much there.

PS - Please send me 10% of what you save on your next Ford.
Thanks!

Old 03-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. so the only new vehicles i buy is ford which i get through our ex plan at work. usually somewhere between $100 to $400 below invoice price depending on how expensive the vehicle is. my excursion was $320 below what the dealer paid for it. i love ex-plans! i haven't been able to find any invoice prices on atvs though. i'm sure they have a pretty good markup also. anyone out there know where to find the invoice prices for atvs?

Old 03-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are only one or two sites that offer the dealer cost for atv's. They charge at least $10. for each model. I would try to get them down at least 1 or 2 hundred under the retail price. That is an out the door price including all fees. Price around. Make sure they understand that you want the out the door price.

Certain auto dealers can offer better deals than others. When I was buying my last car, I noticed that certain Fords and Chevy's were selling below dealer cost. I bought a Honda car for about $60. above dealer invoice. I had talked to a friend at a Chevy dealer to get some pointers before I started my search. He explained how much and where they make their money. I don't think Honda goes down as much as other manufacturers. (for cars)

Did you tell them about the atv trade in when you got the price? (for the atv) You can find at least one of those atv sites. Just type in anything like atv dealer cost, atv dealer price or whatever. They all seem to take you to the same site.