Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

assembly fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default assembly fees

Okay what this assembly fee crap?? I just picked up a new rig and some places wanted anything from $75 - 250 to put the thing together.

When I worked for FORD we had a pre delivery inspection that we charged the customer, truth is FORD payed for it and we suckered the customer to pay for it ( so we got paid twice) . Is this the same thing going on? I payed for an Arctic Cat today, the main reason is they didnt try to sucker me into anything.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default assembly fees

The set-up fee is a bunch of B.S. Some dealers ( very few) won't charge it. Call Romney Cycle in Romney West Virginia 304-822-3933. Their prices are $400-$700 under MSRP. They DON'T charge that set-up fee either. They sell Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki. Give them a call. Their out the door prices are really the best I've seen. Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default assembly fees

Don't even pay attention to all of that stuff. Just ask them the OUT the Door price including anything and everything. Then compare all the different OTD prices.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default assembly fees

Why did this thread say it only had 1 reply when there were 2 and now 3 with this one?

Old 04-15-2004, 11:56 AM
HAZ
Trailblazer
Default assembly fees

Here in new mexico i paid $500 for setup fee.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default assembly fees

When I bought my kawa prairie 700, there was no extra fees from the dealer. I paid $6500.00 out the door. My friend who bought his new honda rancher AT400 paid $220.00 in dealer prep and title doc fee. Those fees are nothing more than the dealer trying to get more you your money. When they say the don't have a big mark-up, they still get a good amount of money from the mfg. or they would not be in business. I went to the local polaris dealer to check on a SP400 for my wife and they wanted over $400.00 for their prep and stuff along with charging MSRP for the bike. I told them to go drive it off a cliff and left.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default assembly fees

Just say "NO".

Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default assembly fees

i thought the dealers are under some sort of legal obligation to do a PDI, if so it seems unfair that there charging for it, JMHO

Old 04-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default assembly fees

Dealers are just like you and me... they expect to profit from their labor... When a new machine arrives, they have to break the crate down, and in some cases assemble some portions of the bike. Then they usually go through a check up to make sure the bike has the proper fluid levels and runs... Some of the less popular machines can sit in a crate in some warehouse for years... so it is necessary to go through everything.

Whether this is paid for by the manufacturer or not is questionable... as I don't think we can say anything with any certainty. I can say that typically, a manufacturer will not pay the dealer what it is worth in their time/labor. And it may be that the dealer is passing some of that cost to the purchaser.

Volume dealers may be able to get by differently than small shops... but the $500 quoted by one member on this thread does seem a bit excessive, unless you had then do a lot of add ons at time of purchase.. like a winch or something... then I can understand the high cost being wrapped together nito one fee...

Typically, because I have a good relationship with my dealer, they waive the fee for me any time I make a purchase. Of course I have purchased 8 machines if the past few years from them too.. and I am sure I get treated better than the average Joe on the street...

Old 04-16-2004, 03:53 PM
HAZ
Trailblazer
Default assembly fees

Yes i thought the $500 was high. Everyother dealer in town was charging the same. Only thing the bike itself was $5700 and the others wanted $6100 for a 2004 predator. Here in new mexico the price for atvs is quite high. Iam one my 3rd atv. They sell vary fast here . The other 2 that i had took less thn a week to sell.

Quick Reply: assembly fees