Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

assembly fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default assembly fees

Sounds like the local dealers know what the market will bear... and it will be hard to break their monopoly. We have the same thing in Virginia with Harley dealers... When the new water cooled model came out a few years ago, the list was $19,500. So I went down to the local dealer with my checkbook to buy one... well guess what, the dealers in the area had gotten together and decided that for the first year of the bike, they would tack on an additional $12,000 dollars. $1,200 I could understand, but 12 thousand... no way. Supply and demand... and at the time, most harley dealers would only sell to their local customers... so you couldn't just call up a dealer in another state and get one either.

I called Harley and they replied that they leave final pricing to the dealers, that teh SRP is just that, a suggested retail price and no, they didn't want to become involved with local matters.

Needless to say, I don't own a Harley. And due to the attitude of the manufacturer, I probably won't ever own one. I'll get by on my goldwing thank you very much...and be much more comfortable doing it, and not have so much maintenence to worry about either...

Old 04-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default assembly fees

There is time involved in preparing an ATV for a customer. Some units that come across the big pond are knocked down more to get more of them on the boat. Truth is even the Arctic Cats and other domesic built units require time to uncrate and prep for delivery. There is a list to check off before the unit gets sent out. Some of this is filling and charging the battery, checking all the oils, air pressues,adjudt idle, check and burnish the brakes, adjust toein,wash and clean unit,etc,...
The dealers would be happy not to have to charge for this but it is hard to find a tech. who will work without a paycheck. Plus consider if the dealer has some highschool kid slapping units together, or do you want your ATV preped by a trained tech? The real difference is what is a reasonable price?