Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

One for me and one for the wife.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for me and one for the wife.

Hi all. Well, this is finally the year. Me and the wife are getting a couple 4 wheelers ASAP. For me, I'd like the availability of 4WD but don't need anything extemely utility based but I also don't want to be on a sport quad either. The Scrambler seems like it's certainly in the middle, maybe a little on the sporty side but I do like it. So my question is this, is there really another 4 wheeler that has 4WD and is an automatic that can match the Scrambler in performance and is priced the same? By performance I mean mostly srtainghtline speed but I will definately do some harder riding at times. And price wise I'm talking easily within $1K.

And what are your thoughts on a Trail Boss/Bruin comparison? The price on these 2 are real close. I would just assume the Trail Boss is easier to handle and more of a lighter duty and the Bruin maybe more capable but clumsier? Which one of these 2 has the advantage in power?

Sorry for the mass confusion on my part but this is a harder decision than I thought.

I appreciate any info.

Thanks - Tom

Old 05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Range Rover

There are a few big-bore sport utility quads about $1k more than the scrambler. These would be Suzuki Twin Peaks, Kawi Prarie and the Yamaha Griz. The Griz is a little less sporty than the others though. The Suzuki and Kawasaki are the same machine but come is dif colors.

The Scrambler is probably the sportiest 4x4 you can buy at the moment. The only thing holding the Suzuki and Kawasaki back is the strut front suspension which is rather soft for sport riding. And they look a lot more like a utility machine compared to the sporty looks of a Scrambler.

As far as the Bruin and Trail Boss go, I'd say the Bruin is overall a better machine. I've heard nothing but good things about that machine. It's kind of like a scaled down Kodiak. Good handeling and good power for a 350.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friends has a bruin he likes it he put itp mudlites on all for and goes really good

Old 05-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Since I posted this question I actually researched a little on the Kawasaki V-Force. It's definetly priced close to the Scrambler and the thing must have insane power but no 4WD. So I started to think about it. My wife's ATV won't be 4WD (pretty sure we'll get the Bruin) so maybe I don't really want it either. I mean, if I can go through it but she can't, that's no fun.

My question then I guess is if all I'm ever really going to get myself into is semi-rough terrain (shallower water/mud), would a V-Force be adequite? I mean, this beast has to get you through anything you would encounter while trail riding, right? Sorry for the total lack of understanding the capabilities of a 2WD.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

The issue for me I guess, living in Minnesota is winter riding. Would you say a V-Force in most cases would be OK in the snow or would it be basically useless? I for sure want to be able to ride in the winter at least a few times.

Thanks again - Tom

Old 05-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Tom
I think you have the right idea with the Scrambler. We got Julie (girlfriend) a Scrambler 500 after she rode a Trailblazer 250 for a year.
The machine is tough, safe, reliable, capable, stable and really does do it all. (it meets her needs and mine)
The V force is a great bike too,,,,just completely different (2wd),,,I would not recommend the V for your purposes.
If I were you, I would go with a Scrambler 500 for you,,,,and a Trailboss for the wife. You really cant go wrong.
The Scrambler will go just about anywhere.

Old 05-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you have a 4x4 then you can pull the 2x4 out of trouble. If you have two 2x4's then you might have twice the trouble and no way to get out. It really depends on where you'll ride and if there will be any deeper snow.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

I would go with the scrammy...It has to be one of the greatest all around quads...pretty fast...has the 4x4 when you need it and I love it for trailriding and everything else...the v-force...its a beast but they made it sound like it was going to be the quad of the century...and it weighs a ton for not being 4 wheel drive...like over 500 pounds...and you don't want to be going down a steep hill because you probably wont be stopping!! It is a pretty sweet quad though..but I think you would be happy with a scrammy.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree go with the Scrambler.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think I would also opt for the scrambler. 97% of the time 2wd is fine BUT when you need 4wd it is sure nice to have. As for winter riding, if you stay out of the deep you will be ok. Had to push a few 2wd's last winter but it was an excellent winter too. Also take them for a decent ride seeing which feels better is alot of it too if you plan on spending time on them. Good shopping.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I would say go with the scrambler for you and get a trailblazer and put a pipe and clutch kit on it for your wife.

Quick Reply: One for me and one for the wife.