Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

PLEASE HELP!! I NEED TORQUE AND SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!! I NEED TORQUE AND SPEED

TORQUE AND SPEED IS THIS POSSIBLE?????? I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING AT THE FOLLOWING 4X4S-----POLARIS 700 EFI-----SUZUKI 700 EFI-----YAMAHA 660 GRIZZY-------------------------NOW I LIVE IN VERY MOUNTAINY---TERRAIN-----I WANT SOMETHING THAT IS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO GO WHERE I NEED TO,(LOTS OF MUD AND WATER CROSSINGS & AND STEEP HILLCLIMBS)I WOULD LIKE TO GO FAST ON THE OPEN TERRAIN----- BUT SOMETHING MY DAD CAN USE TO MILDY TRAIL RIDE AND PUSH SNOW AND SMALL CHORES. SO PLEASE!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME SOME ADVICE OR IS THERE A BETTER ONE THAN THESE??? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2004, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

Either machine would fit the bill and would do it well. Another machine that would excel at what you are looking to do would be a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

Wait till the new Prarie 750 EFI IRS comes out this fall

Old 05-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

I heard the suzuki 700s are pretty sweet...and of course this is always the scrammy!

Old 05-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Randy, You should also look at the 700 Kawi, from trying to analizing the way you worded this thread I don't thin the IRS is what you are looking for. Try some solid rear axles ATVs. The Kawi 700 has low center of gravity and a sport feel to it as well as low range for chores. The IRS would be better for slowly crawling over rocks thou. Look at the cat 650 too.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

All 3 are perfectly capable of mild trail riding and pushing snow. Although you simply can not beat the ride of the Sportsman. All 3 have plenty of power, and around the same top end speed within a few MPH of each other. The Twin peaks (Prairie 700 for all intensive purposes) has more acceleration than the other two. All 3 have true 4wd (all 4 tires will spin). With the Twin Peaks (P700) and Grizz, you have to manually engage the diff lock (pull a lever or push a button) where as the SP700 EFI automaticlly engages. Now if you are talking about lots of mud and rocks, I would stay clear of the SRA machines (Twin Peaks and P700), They dont have the ground clearence to go where the IRS machines do (SP700 and Grizz) If you live in a high altitude area, change altitude a lot, or have dramatic changes in climate, you would really appreciate the advantages the the SP700 EFI provides due to the fuel injection. Just some factors to consider

Old 05-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Go ride all of the ones you like. Then ride the Kawasaki Prairie 700 (or this year's rumored 750). Then decide. Also, my P650 does more than alright against any utility quad and some sport quads, depending on the rider.

Ride 'em all, then decide. Good used one, you don't pay taxes. Warranties aren't much good for anything except very obvious factory parts failure, which happen in the first few hundred miles usually.

The local dealer quality of service is at least as important as what type of bike you get.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would go with the Kawasaki.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Since your in the mountains, make sure you get an EFI. I would say go with the Sportsman 700 EFI. The suzuki will have LOTS of torque, since its gonna be a 750 SINGLE, I dont know about the speed it could go, my guess is after 40 mph or so it will start to vibrate alot, JMO.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

EFI is really useful for changing elevations. If you ride mostly the same elevation range, EFI won't do you much good over standard carburetion.

I ride from 7,000 ft on up, nothing but mountains (highest 13,000)...the old girl was stumbling a little that day. I don't know about Suzuki being a single 750, but if it is, I agree with Simster....the Prairie will still be a V=twin=torque+speed, which is what your topic question is about.

Read the current issue of Dirtwheels magazine which compares the big bores.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!! I NEED TORQUE AND SPEED