Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Dirtbike vs. ATV

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

Originally posted by: Spudnick
Other than the Quad Racers; all the guys that I know who own quads, ride them because they don't know how to ride a dirt bike. Not sute how common that is where you are? My bike gets my adrenaline going way more !

Spud,

04 Rancher
99 KDX 220

I don't think most people ride quads because they CAN'T ride a dirtbike...I just prefer my quad.
And of COURSE your dirtbike gets the adrenaline pumping more than ur quad...maybe because your quad is a RANCHER

Old 06-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

like the others say. the dirt bike is full of scratches and bruises but the quad is not so full of but still has some bad wrecks. ride them both and see which one you perfer to ride. some people like different things.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

I knew that would get a repsonse. Different 2 strokes for different folks.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

I agree with most of the you guys.
The ATV is a little more dangerous because of it's size and weight.
The Dirt Bike is light and you will crash a lot but it won't hurt you like a quad rolling on top of you.
But then again Dirt Bikes are really fast and the air you can get with one even when you're not trying to can land you in trouble.
But for hill climbing i wouldn't want anything other then a bike. Cant make it up the hill, lay it on it's side and slid back down the hill with it.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

will trade a cr 250 great shape for the z

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

This isn't really a dirt bike versus ATV issue at all. You have to take a good look at what you want to do.. and what kind of riding you will be doing. If your riding area is mostly mud... an ATV is the best choice. Sand is the same thing. Decide what you want to do first, then you will have a better idea of what your choice should be. Racing MX is a blast... but you can get the same deal on a quad.

I don't think there is an issue of which is more safer than the other.... You have control of that. I have raced both... and have crashed both... I have to say when crashing, I'd rather do it on a bike. ATVs pack a heck of a lot more energy when they tumble.

Lastly, look at what your buddies are riding.. if they all ride ATVs, then a bike will be an outcast.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

I rode trail bikes and dirt from the age of 5 to 20 (when I got married). Like the others say, it depends on what the other's in your group rides. I've rode in groups with 3 wheelers ( they didn't make 4- wheelers back then). I was never an outcast, but I got left behind in deep mud, but on the dirt, they couldn't keep up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I've just recently went trail riding on a four wheeler for the first time this past Memorial Day. That just put me in dirt fever mode. My reflexes aren't what they used to be, so I figured a ATV would be best for me. I'm planning on getting a Bombardier Outcast Max 400 H.O., when the money gets available.
The decision to get a bike vs ATV will depend upon your group, the type of terrain you ride, and your age. The older you get, the longer those bumps and bruises hurt. I consider myself too old and I'm only 35.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

Hey Tenneseenewbie, just wait until the big 40, or the even bigger 50 if you want to talk about feeling the bumps and bruises. Some of us old farts that use to race MX when bikes didn't have more than about 5 or 6 inches of suspension compared to the pogo sticks they have now will tell you that after a day's racing, even WITH a kidney belt, you had to lay down for a while and let your body recuperate. Now days, the kids think I am wearing a girdle to hold the belly in place.... well that too... but still, the old bod is not what it used to be... The buff has tarnished a lot.

I ride ATV's almost exclusively now days because I don't have the legs for it anymore. Standing on pegs just doesn't work any more after having my ALC reconstructed and htey took all my hamstrings out of the right leg. The seats they have on these new MX racers are only good for giving you a wedgie... You certainly do not want to sit on one for any period of time. They sure are hard and too narrow for my taste.

I got rid of my YZF400 because of it... I still have an old RT180 that has the fat man's seat on it if I have the urge.. but it usually only takes a couple of jumps to put me back on the Quad. Now days, if I feel the need for speed, I jump on the Raptor... but most of the time, you will find me putting around on the new Rubicon. Can't wait until I get it paid for though... I just have to have me a Rhino...I have a deal with my wife that I won't be making payments on more than one toy at a time, and she won't purchase more than one sewing machine at a time. (you ever price them? the latest was $4500)

Any what, about the Rhino, talk about the ultimate old, crippled, fat man ride....Hooo yeah.. and I can take my cooler and grill with me and cook my lunch out on the trails... try that with a dirt bike. Only downside is Mrs Dragginbutt will want to go along... and ruin it for me and other squirrels out in the woods...

Old 06-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

I think me and the wife decided against the Bomber. The dealer wanted $6999 plus tax. We may go with a used ATV or a new Kodiak 450. I've seen the Rhino, but I don't remember what the price was. I think it was around $8000 to $8500.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirtbike vs. ATV

Yup.. around $9000 for the Rhino.. If you can wait with your purchase decision until fall, you will find the manufacturers start discounting everything heavily. I bought a new Rubicon for $1200 off list last year.
Used machines can cot you more in teh long run if you don't know the person who had it before you. The downside of the sport is that riders tend to abuse rather than use them... so be careful in your selection.

The nice thing about a Rhino is you both can ride at the same time, and it might be cheaper than two machines in the long run. Don't think for a moment you will get by with one ATV. Your Wife will probably want to ride too, and not sit around waiting for your sorry butt at the trail head or camp site. She will want one of her own to ride.

Quick Reply: Dirtbike vs. ATV