Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Two or Four Stroke???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for an ATV to race in "Hare Scrambles", and other all-terrain races. I am interested in either a Banshee, Warrior, or a new 400EX. Here's my question. I am not sure if a two or a four stroke would be better for this type of racing, and for joyriding. In either class I will be in the Beginner class. I just don't know which avenue to take. I hear the Banshee is the baddest ATV ever, but not the most dependable. I also hear 4-strokes are more dependable than 2's. Any help would be great. What's the best all purpose natural terrain race machine?

Old 08-26-1999, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

A 4 stroke is more reliable but a 2 is faster. For racing I would Recomend a Honda 250R.

------------------
300ex... The Big Red Machine

Old 08-26-1999, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

Go with the two stroke. Two stroke that is!

Old 08-26-1999, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you want reliability and performance go with the Warrior or the 400ex. Now if you want a "screamer" and are will to spend more time on maintenance, than get the Banshee. All the bikes you listed are awesome, I almost got the Banshee but realized that I'm almost 40 and don't heal as fast as those young kids.

Lets us know what you get and how you like it.
Good Luck!

TXwarrior

Old 08-26-1999, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

It's not so much that the two stroke is unreliable, it's that you have to tweak on it more often than a four. Two strokes seem to either run great or don't hardly run at all. They are more tempermental in regards to altitude, jetting, etc. If you like to work on your quad a little more, a two stroke may be worth the extra t.l.c. since it'll have more horse power, pound per pound, than a four stroke. Also, a two stroke is much cheaper and simpler to hop up than a four.

If your races are short, or if you're in great shape, riding a two stroke will usually be an advantage. Otherwise it will tend to tire you out quicker due to the fact that the power comes ON all at once and feels like more of a hand full. In the sand two strokes rule. In the mud they kind of suck. Four strokes generally climb better because they "hook up" and don't spin the wheels as much.

If you buy the EX, plan on spending $300-400 for an exaust, jet kit, filter, airbox mods, etc. just to get it to run and sound the way it's supposed to. They come extreamly lean from the factory and can be real cold blooded, and they sound like a sissy bike. Oh yea, those wimpy Ohtsu's might leave you stranded with a tear or puncture, so figure in some more green for some Holeshots.

If you have to be "the man" at the sand drags, buy the Banshee.

Hope this helps.

------------------
TRXter

400EX