Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which utility ATV for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 06:10 PM
cj7
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m looking for a used utility quad ATV and I need advice on what’s out there.

I don’t know much about ATV’s, but I do know the difference between sport and utility models, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, and 2-WD and 4-WD. I grew up on a 1972 Yamaha 250 Enduro dirt bike. Now, my wife and kids want to get a four-wheeler!

Based on what I do know, I’m leaning toward a 4 stroke utility type because we just want to poke around on the mountain trails here in Utah. I’d also like to be able to use it to plow the driveway. We’re not using it for racing and high performance stuff. We’re trying to go as inexpensive as possible, so I’ll probably want an early model, not the latest and most expensive (although from what I’ve seen they sure hold their value well).

I’ve been told the Honda Recon and Yamaha Timberwolf are good candidates for our needs. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of ATV’s - just a list, with features and specs? I mean, when someone says they have a Banshee, I have no concept of what that means. I don't even know who makes it. Is there a place where I can see ATV specs side by side and know what in the world the difference is?

Old 11-16-1999, 06:56 PM
cj7
Weekend Warrior

Judging by the overwhelming number of responses to this posting so far, it looks like this has been a tough one to answer.

I have found the answer, for the most part, to the last question. This web site has its own comparative model listings at:

http://www.atving.com/tmpl/manuf/manuf.cfm

Happy four-wheeling.

Old 11-16-1999, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

If you are going to be plowing I would sugest the Honda 300 4x4. We don't get much snow down here in Louisiana but i have heard 2wd just can't push the snow, especialy a 400 lb. 2wd like the Recon.

The 300 has not been updated since 92 but it is still a great quad, and it is(was) the best selling Atv in America. The 300 is about to be replaced so if you do decide you want one you better go to the Honda dealer, NOW.

Old 11-17-1999, 01:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The best thing that you could possibly do is to either go to the quad specs page on this site, or the links page. Take the links page to the manufacturers sites and look at everything they have to offer. Then you can get a more rounded view of what is available. Most of the 5 year old used bikes are still around in some form or another for 2000. While a few have been phased out or upgraded, they still will paint you a good picture of what is what.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 11-17-1999, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

cj7,

Many have claimed that the Yamaha Timberwolf is sluggish on power as compared to other ATV's of similiar size and weight. There must be some truth to this since Yamaha has since replaced the model with the Beartracker. It is the same basic design as the Timberwolf but carries an improved carburator and stroke.

Good deals can be had on used Hondas when you consider the prices that people pay for them as new. Their TRX 300 and Foreman 400 are very reliable. And becuase so many people "just have to own a Honda", they often dominate the classified ads of most newspapers.

I picked up a very nice 92' model here in Houston for $2000. I keep it to hunt with my Father-in-law in Mississippi.

What I ride most often is my Kawasaki Bayou 220. My only regret in buying it new was in not buying the larger Bayou 300.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-1999, 12:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you ended up considering the recon, wait a bit and try and get a deal on a honda 300. The manual shift Rancher series is priced the same as the 300, and dealers will probably drop the prices a bit to move the old stock out. Not many people would pay equal price to get a smaller engine. Maybe for a proven quad, but not for anything else.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*