Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

atv in the crate.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv in the crate.

is it possible to buy an atv in the crate as it comes shipped to dealers? i had a bad experience with my raptor and its not only a mater of saving a few bucks but there was screws that were stipped and parts of the bike not lubricated. so i wanted to kno w if its possible to buy an atv out of the crate and assemble it myself in the process i can learn how everything goes together. btw im thinking of buying a yfz 450.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

How well do you know your Dealer. There may be warranty issues if you assemble yourself.

Old 08-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

the warranty wouldnt be an issue. either way warranty never covers what happens to the the atv in one way or another

Old 08-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

I talked to a dealer about this, he told me if the did sell it in the crate he would lose his francise OR Arctic would refuse to deal with him any longer.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

look for dealers in Canada

I almost bought a crate raptor for cheap from a dealer in BC. I decided to support the local dealer after a little thought.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

I am curious... What all needs to be done to an ATV right out of the crate?

My dealer charged me a little over $600 in "Destination & assembly" charges. (That's more then they charge for a Car)

He told me they had to put on the tires, handlebars, put oil in it... he said its about a 4 hour job for each LT-Z400...

But i was looking at the pictures on Doug Gust's website, the quad Suzuki sent him in a crate, looks to be fully assembled...

Doug Gust's Crated LT-Z400 From Suzuki

So i am curious... what REALLY has to be done to an ATV right out of the crate?

Thanks.

ThaChad

Old 09-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: ThaChad

My dealer charged me a little over $600 in "Destination & assembly" charges. (That's more then they charge for a Car)

He told me they had to put on the tires, handlebars, put oil in it... he said its about a 4 hour job for each LT-Z400...

But i was looking at the pictures on Doug Gust's website, the quad Suzuki sent him in a crate, looks to be fully assembled...

Thanks.

ThaChad

Chad

They come in crates half that size.

The wheels, bars, possibly some suspension connections and tuning. 4 hours? Maybe if you had 2 lunch breaks, 3 bathroom stops, a dozen smoke breaks, and a few phone calls.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing

Thanks.

ThaChad

Chad

The wheels, bars, possibly some suspension connections and tuning. 4 hours? Maybe if you had 2 lunch breaks, 3 bathroom stops, a dozen smoke breaks, and a few phone calls.

Any idea what most dealer charge for "assembly & destination" charges?

*Mental note... Why would they send Doug Gust a fully assembled Z400 knowing the first thing he is going to do is tare it apart... and send dealers a partly assembled unit knowing they are just going to jack the customer for another $600+ which ultimently add's to the cost of the quad, possibly making a buyer change their mind*

Old 09-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Bing

Thanks.

ThaChad

Chad

Any idea what most dealer charge for "assembly & destination" charges?

*Mental note... Why would they send Doug Gust a fully assembled Z400 knowing the first thing he is going to do is tare it apart... and send dealers a partly assembled unit knowing they are just going to jack the customer for another $600+ which ultimently add's to the cost of the quad, possibly making a buyer change their mind*

dont waste too much brain power worrying about it,,,,,its just another way to jack the price over and above their margin.
I prefer to only talk OTD (out the door) prices with salespeople,,,,otherwise it just gets aggrevating.
I really dont care how they manage their books,,,i just worry about the bottom line.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

The bike shop i bought the 450 from had a quad in the crate, on the showroom. They had it like that to convince people they neede the $600 to put the tires and fenders on it. It showed me it was a huge scam.

Quick Reply: atv in the crate.