Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking to purchase first quad

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2000, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be purchasing my first quad in the next 6 months and am in need of some suggestions. It will be used primarily for hunting on fairly flat ground with some small hills, with rough terrain in some areas. I don't care about going fast, I need something to get me to and from my hunting areas and to haul out a deer if I get lucky. Mud is possible but not a major concern since we get very little rain on average. I am avg. size, being 6' 175 lbs., and am looking to spend around $3500. Should I be looking new or used in this price range? Any suggestions to get me started in the right direction?

Old 01-17-2000, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

At that price range, your limited. The Bayou 220 is good and low end priced. For what your wanting to do, (speed not being a factor) it should carry you well. Test drive one first. If you want to carry alot of stuff and want to go with no bogging down of the engine.. go with at least a 300cc. But, then again your talking more money. If you go for a used one, check it out good. These machines don't come down in price much new vs used. you can check for used ones at ONLINETRADER.com and Kelly Blue Book values at KBB.com
Good luck

------------------

Old 01-18-2000, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

I had a recon before I got my foreman, and loved it, it worked great for hunting, its small, lightweight, and turns on a dime. I got mine brand new for $3500 and had it for 2yrs without any problems. I did do alot af trail riding, and as far as hunting/hauling deer, it'll carry two bucks w/out a problem I know I have done it! For the money I don't think you can beat it. I have rode a bayou 220, and the only thing I didn't like about it was when you corner hard with it, it feels like the front tires are gonna come off the rims! but it does give a nice ride just my 2cents

------------------
Brad

99'FOREMANes, 26" BUGS, Maier full chasis skid plate, A.P. bash plate and stick guards, winch, and soon to have a high performance kit! ohhYA...