Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to buy? Yamaha Wolverine or ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy? Yamaha Wolverine or ????

Hey all,

I have a Suzuki LT-Z400, but my wife doesn't want a sport quad, she wants a utility quad..

I have tried 100 times to explain to her that a utility quad is a tank, and wont take any kind of jump real well, even small ones..

She still insists on a utility quad. The only Utility/Sport quad i have found that i think would work pretty well is the Yamaha Wolverine..

Its a 4x4, with the ability to carry things such as an Ice Chest.. Yet it's still light enough, and sporty enough that it could probably take some small to med. jumps and survive..

She really wants an automatic, but the wolverine has an Auto-clutch, so i don't think she will have a problem with that...

Does anyone else make a sport/utility that doesn't weigh into the 500+ lbs range?

She doesn't think she will do any kind of jumps, but i think as she uses it more she will do small jumps, even if its just the driveway (Consider our drive way as a small table top jump).

Any input on the Yamaha wolverine or any other models?

Thanks,

Chad

Old 09-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does she require 4X4??? If not, some of the 2X4 utes are fairly sporty. I can bust out some pretty good air on the 2X4 Rancher. The Recon (400 lbs.) is a real peach, if she can ride a smaller bike.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Does she require 4X4??? If not, some of the 2X4 utes are fairly sporty. I can bust out some pretty good air on the 2X4 Rancher. The Recon (400 lbs.) is a real peach, if she can ride a smaller bike.
I don't think she will require 4x4.

She just want's a utility quad that has the racks that she could put things like an ice chest, a tent, etc.. Also, she was hoping to get a quad that has a plow attachment for the winter....

But i want to make sure that it is still a sport/utility because i want her to be able to do small, to med. jumps with it, and not have it come down like a rock.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

For plowing, you are going to want a 4X4!

Old 09-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Buy a rack to mount on the grab bar of a sport quad. Then buy her a really nice shovel. j/k (but not really)

Old 09-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe you should check out the Scrambler 500 from Polaris.
It's a 4X4 it's pretty sporty and fast also you can get racks for it and a plow.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Get her the Wolverine, it is light, quick for its size, handles great, can jump almost as good as some sportier quads ( check out my post - Moto-crossin' Wolverine ) and can still get the work done when needed. I have had mine since new in 95, have thought about other quads over the years, but they never have made a good replacement for the Wolverine, so I'm sticking with mine for quite a while. Put a 424 kit on the front, and she'll be powersliding the trails as good as you !!! When my son and I ride, I carry a cooler and gas on mine, and still ride hard, just have to make sure everything is tied down real tight ! For the light weight and handling, you will be hard pressed to find a better trail machine that has a good work/ play combination.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 95wolv
Get her the Wolverine, it is light, quick for its size, handles great, can jump almost as good as some sportier quads ( check out my post - Moto-crossin' Wolverine ) and can still get the work done when needed. I have had mine since new in 95, have thought about other quads over the years, but they never have made a good replacement for the Wolverine, so I'm sticking with mine for quite a while. Put a 424 kit on the front, and she'll be powersliding the trails as good as you !!! When my son and I ride, I carry a cooler and gas on mine, and still ride hard, just have to make sure everything is tied down real tight ! For the light weight and handling, you will be hard pressed to find a better trail machine that has a good work/ play combination.
Do you know if anyone makes a Plow option for the Wolverine?

I havent been able to find one, atleast listed on Yamaha's website... If i could find a plow for the wolverine, that would probably already have bought it!

I know the Polaris scrambler has a nice plow option, but it's alot heavier, and it doesn't seam no where near as sporty as the wolverine!

Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Dennis Kirk has them, and I think Moose Utility Division carries them as well. I once saw a plow mount set up for a Wolverine on ebay that went for 35 bucks !!

Old 09-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 95wolv
Dennis Kirk has them, and I think Moose Utility Division carries them as well. I once saw a plow mount set up for a Wolverine on ebay that went for 35 bucks !!

Do you know the model #'s or anyone who is selling one of those plow systems for the Wolverine? I am unable to find either one anywere... I did a search on google, but nothing usefull came up...

If i can find a plow kit for it, i am ready to buy one!!

Chad

Quick Reply: What to buy? Yamaha Wolverine or ????