Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

looking for climbing power

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for climbing power

Ok my only experience with ATVs was the earliest Honda 2wds. I also used to play with some dirt bikes in some canyons way way back. What I remember is an old honda trail 90 that had no top end or much speed but was geared low and would climb a wall. I liked it much better than the higher powered higher geared trail bikes that would need a good running start to go up a steep grade and then you hope you make it all the way up so you don't have to back down and try agian. I loved passing my buddy puttering up the hill while he was spinning out 3/4 of the way up. I have had a real hard time finding info or deciphering it on gearing, low end torque, and climbing ability. Also I am amazed at how huge some of the ATVs are now. Basically I want to use an ATV for hunting and puttering around. Don't really want lots of speed cause when my kid is old enough to ride by himself he will be fearless. Looking for the honda trail 90 of ATVs. Preferences 1) climb steep grades/low end power 2) low price 3) utility 4) not too big so its easy to hide and haul. I am not opposed to some of the chinese versions but can't find out much about them so far. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2004, 03:49 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know Honda is a good quad, but also very expensive.

There are a bunch of good off-brand mini quads on the market. I sure like mine. But I like it better after the mods. It didn't come with a lot of low end grunt. I'd probably lean towards a 3-speed for that instead of a cvt for low end. I think you'd have to do some mods to get a cvt to rocket off the line. At least I did.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An in between machine like the Honda Rancher 4X4? It isn't little, but it's not full size either.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

outlander 330 4x4 or more power on 400.very comfortable bike.tackle any terrain easily.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a Honda Recon (250cc I think) for my teenage daughter. I ride it more than she does. Check it out.

The light weight makes dragging it around the garage and trailer less a back breaker and it's about 75% of a full size quad with front and rear racks. Perfect for hunting. This machine has gone everywhere my large 4x4's have gone - mountain forest and swampy trails.

Good luck.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Just so we understand. Your looking for a 90cc quad? ..... or a larger adult sized quad that has the climbing ability like the old Trail 90 dirt bikes?

You mentioned using the quad for hunting.. Did you have a size in mind?

Also - There has been some question as to what you mean by when your kids are old enough - how old are they?

Old 10-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looking for an ATV with whatever size engine that has performance comparable to the old honda trail 90 rather than a 90cc quad. Kid is 5 now so its a ways off before I would let him ride. I am not crazy about the very large quads I have been seeing. Some of them make me think I might as well get a willis jeep and the price of some make me think I should buy a high mileage 4x4 nissan truck instead of a quad so I could drive it to my hunting spot rather than bother hauling a quad on a trailer. Prefer a medium to smaller adult sized quad that is easy to transport.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I guess I'll stick with the Honda Recon recommendation. Go check them out.
And - you might want to consider that about 30,000 of us in Minnesota ride these things for recreation. Its not uncommon to buy a quad for hunting and discover that the trail riding starts to take up more and more of your weekends. Give it some thought
and - applause applause for keeping little ones off of the bigger quads.