Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport ATV's vs. Utility ATV's? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport ATV's vs. Utility ATV's? Which is better?

plus i think the warrior looks awesome jus tlike the banshee but to bad the banshees suck so much on the trail other wise id have one lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol why do u have a kodiak and ur name is kawasaki rulz

Because i have had alot of kawasaki quads and i loved them but i found the kodiak at a great deal.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

So is it possible to buy a Sport Utility and just remove the majority of the wieght to try and get the best of both worlds or is it just impossible? I know that with out a doubt I want a YFZ 450 if the choice is to go with a sport quad. If any of you would happen to know of any new articles that might address this issue that might help as well. Also the question of maintenance has came up. Rather which one will require more work and or more money?

Old 10-06-2004, 12:32 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

If you want a sport, buy a sport. There is no way to shave a bulk of the weight on a Ute. And the lighter the bike, the easier it is to handle. The in-betweeners (trail machines) are basically sport bikes with reverse. I think reconranger gave very good advice. The Z/kfx/dvx 400 or even the 2005 400ex would be a lot of fun in anything but areas where you need extra clearance or 4 wheel drive.

You can always gear the yfz down for trails but with no reverse, you'll be jumping off to swing the tail around on occasion.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, so I want to go sport, the question I have now is which one. I said on my last post that I really wanted a YFz 450. However it was just brought to my attention that the Raptor 660 may actually be a better all around bike. I would like to be able to take someone for a ride every now and then, and I was told that with a 660 a comfortable 30-minute ride was possible. I was told that the ergonomics of the bike are better for rides over 3 miles, with or without someone else. How big of a deal do you think ergonomics are? I know that it makes a difference, but how big. The guy also told me that a YFZ 450 would walk away from a Raptor 660 after you hit about 40 mph, and that taking someone for a ride on the 450 for more than a quick zip around the park is really not fez able.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

I'd go sit on them Levi. See which one feels most comfortable to you. Ergonomics are too subjective to give a good answer. I'm used to a Honda quad so everthing else feels funny. Doesn't necessarily mean better or worse, but I don't feel comfortable on most other machines. I think it's what your "used to".

But I do think that Raptor would be a great machine for you.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

yea i think you should get the rappy

Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

listen dude. i think you should get a sport quad. trails dunes jumps and many other things can not be done by the average ute. how much cash do u have to get a new quad, we need to know if we can give you better advice

Old 10-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let's just say I have enough to buy what I want. (Within Reason) I can afford a Raptor or the YFZ so that should give you an idea. I found out that the Raptor has better low end grunt so that will help with the rough stuff, and in the sand as well. The one thing that I think sets the two bikes apart is the level of suspension. The YFZ's suspension is quite a bit more advanced than the Raptor. That, I would think, is an advantage when you are wanting to ride in all different types of enviroments. However, the Raptor has reverse which may come in more handy, but that is a question better answered by those how know.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:08 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: Levi
better low end grunt so that will help with the rough stuff, and in the sand as well. The one thing that I think sets the two bikes apart is the level of suspension.

I would argue you want top end in sand. You are constantly at high rpms.

YFZ would be a better duner.

Quick Reply: Sport ATV's vs. Utility ATV's? Which is better?