Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Yes, another Newbie with Questions on Buying

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another Newbie with Questions on Buying

Hi All....Thanks in advance for helping me out. I'm in the processs of researching ATVs. I've ridden before, but only those ATVs owned by friends. I've never owned one and would definitely characterize myself as a beginner. I would prefer to buy used, but only a year or two old. I'm looking to do primarily trail riding as I live along the Appalachian Trail (A lot of back woods). I am 28 years old, 6'2" and 200 lbs. From what I can tell from reading, it looks like a sport ATV would be the way to go vs. a utility. I'm looking for advice regarding make/model, suggestions of how much power I should have for my first ATV, etc. I believe that if you buy cheap you buy twice, so please make any reccomendations based on quallity. Thanks again for the help...

Old 11-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My initial thought would be to look at either the Honda 400ex or the Suzuki z-400 quadsport/Suzuki clones. Both are about as reliable as you are going to find. The Zukis will have a bit more power and potential for power, and also have reverse. The Honda is a simpler and slightly more reliable design that can be had for less $$$. Neither one should have much trouble slinging around 200 lbs of rider.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the 400's! The Honda EX is indestructible, and has good manners and excellent handling. I like it for tighter trails, because its engine doesn't mind being lugged down and ridden slowly. The Suzuki Z, is an EX with more motor. It really likes to rev though, and doesn't like being ridden slowly as well as the EX does. Both motors mod up real well, when you want more power. Either bike is tame enough for an adult beginner, yet offers good performance for an experienced rider.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

1) What do your friends ride?

2) Do you own property you ride on?
3) Will you trailer it to the riding spot?
4) Do you hunt or fish? In the future maybe?
5) How often would you ride it? now and 4-5 years later?
6) Would you ride in mud? Snow?

if you answered "Yes" to 2, 4, and 6 then I suggest a Utility 4x4, but you can get a sporty one and still rip around in the trails amazingly well. A Utility would server more purpose for a land owner who likes to fish, hunt and plow snow from the driveway, as well as rip in the trails.

If you sayd "no" to 2, "yes" to 3, "no" to 4, and "no" to 6... then get yourself a Raptor, these bikes have serious torque and are awesome in the woods.

If your friends all ride Warriors, Honda EX's and other 2 wheel drive sport quads then you might concider staying likewise, unless you have a driveway to plow, fish to catch, deer to shoot and other stuff. If that's the case then a Grizzly, Prarie 700 or similar quad would keep up fine on the trails as well as serve you more uses.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Yes, dirtydude, mention another good sport quad, the raptor. There is alot of options for You.

1. raptor 660r (monster power)
2. susuki 400 & clones( good power, awesome soft suspension)
3. Honda 400 (less power than the suzuki, but very reliable)
4. Polaris predator (something like the raptor, crappy suspension) IMO

Also how much are you willing to pay for a quad.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

I forgot,
WELCOME to the forums! Always a pleasure to see a newbie joining the sport!

Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone taking the time to reply to my post. Nice to see people helping people. I definitely want to go the sport route. I don't plan on using it for fishing/hunting. Just tooling around basically. In response to your responses, here are some more questions:

1. How many hours are too many hours on a used ATV? I would like to keep whatever I buy for 3 - 4 years.
2. How much should I expect to pay for a quality '02 or '03 400EX or Z400 or Raptor?
3. What should I look for in terms of making sure there isn't too much wear and tear on an ATV?

Thanks...

Old 11-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

A 02 Honda 400 ex is worth 3600. That is the maximum amount I would pay for a 400ex. The 02 Raptor is worth 4300 and the z 400 in the 2003 model is worth 4200. If you want to check the Value for an ATV go on WWW.KBB.COM and that website will tell you how much each atv is worth.
ATLEAST YOUR A SMART ENOUGH NEW ATV RIDER TO DO SOME REASERCH ABOUT ATVS.

-------------------------------
04 Honda Rubicon
03 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4
01 Yamaha Wolverine

Old 11-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

For some good ways to check on how much the quad has been riddin look at the tires, if they are the stock one's then that is good, also chain and sprokets see if they are stock and look at the wear... see if there is aftermarket exhaust or if it's stock? I like to see th exhaust stock because if it's aftermarket then I have to assume they wanted more power and they prolly ride hard. Tip the machine up on it's rear wheels and look at the under frame, are the tubes bent up bad? Skidplates? look under the skid plates and see if the tubes are bent up then hidden with a skid plate.. check the cases and see how much wear there is from riding boots, lift the seat and see if they take care of the air filters, check the oil and see if its nasty and burnt, then ride the machine or have them ride it around for 10 minutes and check the oil again,did it change? did it turn white and bubbly or turn darker all the sudden? check the water and see if there is a film of oil on the cap and spout of the radiator, is there any other floaties?

make sure you go over the machine really well and you should be just fine, biggest thing is to just take your time and don't get in a hurry

Old 11-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Excellent info. About how many hours are resonable on an engine when buying used? And now that I feel somewhat equipped to start braving the market, are there any recommendations on where to find a used ATV? It seems like dealers rip you off and the best route, from a dollar standpoint, is to find a regular joe trading up to a new ATV. Are there any web sites that you guys know of where people sell their used quads?

Quick Reply: Yes, another Newbie with Questions on Buying