Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best All Around 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:16 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All Around 4X4

Hey guys,
To your knowledge without just picking a 4X4 thats your favorite, what is the best all around 4X4 on the market.
Taking into mind speed off the line and raw power?

I have heard Suzuki's King Quad is pretty nice. Has anybody tested one out?
Also, how does the Yamaha Grizz and Brute Force stack up?

Old 12-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

I would personally go with the grizzly. it has been around the longest but dont get me wrong they still made inmprovements every year. but anyways it has been out for a long time so if there were any probs like the weak CV axles on the 2001 i think it was they have pretty much all been fixed unlike tsome of the newer big utes. i know from experience that the prairie 700 has weak a Arms and balljoints on the front. the grizz has independant rear suspension and has tons of features. these are just some of my opinions on the subject i would always go with the tried and true models.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

I am surprised you left out the Polaris 800 EFI.
That machine seems to be the biggest and baddest machine out there.

I test drove one and that thing has so much raw power. Its unreal.
Pops the front end up in low and in high gears from a dead stop.

Plus, I love that dual exhuast on the new 800 EFI. Way expensive though.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

just buy a Polaris MV and be done with it,,,,,I think the extra cost is very justifiable

two gas tanks
two winches
good runflat tires
re-inforced frame
and its easy to transport if you happen to own a helicopter

Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

If you buy anything other than a KINGQUAD and then get to ride one you will regret your purchase! The Polaris is to heavy (like carrying around an extra 180 pd. person and it's to expensive). I have a close friend that owns a ATV repair shop and a family member that has been a professional ATV mechanic his entire life at one of the largest dealers in the country, they both advise me not to buy a Yamaha utility 4x4. Kawasaki makes a fine ATV but Kawasaki will find every excuse to not make any repairs needed under warranty while Suzuki will usually go that extra inch to make the repairs fall under the warranty.(That is just an idea of how different these 2 companies are). Also not 1 KINGQUAD has come back to the dealer for any problems, while on the other hand every time I am there a BF is being worked on. I just seen one the other day that was 2 weeks old and the main engine bearing went out and needed replaced, this usually is about a $40-50 repair but kawasaki made the main bearing so it cannot be removed from the engine case and the entire engine case must be replaced, both sides! Now it is a $500 repair before labor! So choose your ATV carefully!

Old 12-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

A few things I do not like about the King Quad

1. Rear break is right on the right foot rest. Almost in the way of your foot
2. No low end power what so ever.

They are still very nice, Dont get me wrong. I think I would rate them the #2 best 4X4 on the market right under the Polaris Sportsman.

I think the Polaris 700 EFI and 800 EFI's are like the Hum V's of 4X4 ATV's. They may be heavy, but they have the power to throw that weight around. Polaris stands by their products very well.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

700 Prairie/650 Prairie/650 Brute Force. Big bad 4x4's. Hardly any probs with them. Shoot out KING!! I think everyone has awesome quads though, its just what you prefer. No atv is bullet proof though.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

Thats true,
I think it will be hard to out show that new Polaris 800 EFI though.
Thats one bad @ss machine.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

IMO the best BIG 4x4 for the money is the KQ.

Yes the Sportsman 800 is nice but here's why I wouldn't have one:

1. To heavy
2. Cost
3. Shifter

With that said let me tell you that whatever you get you will be happy. All these big bore machines are pretty close and are a lot of fun. I just think that Suzuki has their quads priced much better than the rest.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raven1
If you buy anything other than a KINGQUAD and then get to ride one you will regret your purchase! The Polaris is to heavy (like carrying around an extra 180 pd. person and it's to expensive). I have a close friend that owns a ATV repair shop and a family member that has been a professional ATV mechanic his entire life at one of the largest dealers in the country, they both advise me not to buy a Yamaha utility 4x4. Kawasaki makes a fine ATV but Kawasaki will find every excuse to not make any repairs needed under warranty while Suzuki will usually go that extra inch to make the repairs fall under the warranty.(That is just an idea of how different these 2 companies are). Also not 1 KINGQUAD has come back to the dealer for any problems, while on the other hand every time I am there a BF is being worked on. I just seen one the other day that was 2 weeks old and the main engine bearing went out and needed replaced, this usually is about a $40-50 repair but kawasaki made the main bearing so it cannot be removed from the engine case and the entire engine case must be replaced, both sides! Now it is a $500 repair before labor! So choose your ATV carefully!
ok, the polaris/arctic cat dealer here admits that the yamaha last longer than most of the polarises....

as for the 4x4 utilities, i wish i got the grizz.....

i put 5200 miles on my kodiak and had my probs, but i BEAT that thing to death.

i put 1100 miles on a sp500 and the front left strut was junk...and i babied it.

the kawasaki in our group is holding up well at nearly 1000 miles...

the polarises in our group our breakin CV joints more often than any other

overall i say go with a suzuki KQ.....great all around.....

only prob is ive heard of a hesitation in the throttle