Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

older warrior

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default older warrior

Im thinking of buying a warrior, I have found 2 a 87 and a 89. I was just wondering if the older warriors were know for some sort of problems. I will be using it for trail riding. It will have to be fast enough to run with a mojave, blaster and a wolverine so will it keep up or will it go faster, I know the wolverine and warrior have the same motor but since the warrior is lighter it should go faster rite? anyways I just pretty much wanted to know the top speed and any problems that the older warriors experianced. any help would be great in helping me with my decsion of buying one of these bikes or to look else wear.

thanks
Ben

Old 12-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default older warrior

No real issues that I can think of.... aside from a few (very few) modifications, Yamaha left the warrior unchanged thew this year's model.

Just a tad faster than a wolverine ( that sixth gear makes the difference) and should hold it's own against the mojave. As for the blaster, if it is slightly modded, I think it might top out a bit higher due to the ability to rap higher.

Make sure to put the bike up on blocks (under the frame) and check all wheel bearings / a-arm bearings / swing arm bearings... etc..

They are tough bikes and have been around for many years.

Don't fret in buying one.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default older warrior

warriors are rock solid, i have have several over the past 10 years and have had no problems with any of em , they are fast for 4-strokes, and fly pretty good, can't beat the tourqe for hill climing. i have an 87 for sale (got a new one ) let me know if interested.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Range Rover
Default older warrior

Id probly buy it if yo live pretty close. where do you live?

Old 12-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default older warrior

yea how much u sellin for?

Old 12-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default older warrior

I just scored a 93 Warrior yesterday, I've been playn around in the back yard (lightly wooded 1.5 acre). I lurked around for weeks readn and checkn prices. I concluded I wanted either a Warrior or Banshee. This thing hasn't been modded at all, completely stock. Found it locally, a guy about 35-38 yrs old owned it. It moves out good, no smoke or weird noises. All the plastic is still there and good, it has its scraches, with it being a 93 and all. Only problem was he could not find the owners book, I'll buy one or order a 94 from Yamaha online if I can't find a 93.
I looked her over good and could see no problems, rode it around and left it running for a while before we nogotiated a price, he threw in a nice full face helmet and also delivered it to my home. I checked all the areas where you grease it and no excessive movement is there. Tires are original and will need to be replaced in the near future, battery is new and everything works the way it is supposed to. I'm happy so far, although I expect to spend some money for maintenance soon. Now I can ride with my son. So I thought about it and did it.....buy it man!

Old 12-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default older warrior

Warriors are solid, but check it out.... swing arm bushings and brakes are first places to look. As for speed.. I have to tell you, if you are trail riding, there are very few places where you are going to be at top speed.. so who cares. You can always throw a bigger sprocket on the front and get a little more top end, but I'd be weary of rodding a bike that old without going through the motor.... Because they are so tough, they can be abused too... so choose wisely. Ask the owner where they get their machine serviced, and have them pull the service record of the machine. If they refuse, walk away.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default older warrior

Warriors don't handle all that well. On the scale, they aren't terribly heavy, but they handle heavy for some reason. I'm not bashing here! I rode a Warrior for many years, so I speak from first hand experience! The older they are the worse it will be, because the suspension will be that much worse. I would pass them up and look for a 400EX or something.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default older warrior

I wouldn't say that.. but your experience might be different. At slow speed maybe... but when really rocking, you steer with your throttle and butt, so I found mine to be pretty light and precise when you are riding hard. Usually just had to hold on with a light touch... Of course I wasn't into getting air... more of a flat tracker...

Old 12-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default older warrior

I can't comment on what I do not know, my warrior could handle like crap and I would think it was good, nothing to compare it to. I'm finding out about throttle and butt steering, wow this is fun. We took the bikes out on to my inlaws old farm. Had a good chance to "open her up". My son rolled his after about 20 minutes, no big deal he was fine and we discussed it so the chances of it happening again will be diminished.
It took me a week to get a trailer that would fit them both on. It was like 12 f degrees the other day and the old "warrior" started right up. So far this thing is great, no problems, runs like a "banshee" no pun intended..lol.

Quick Reply: older warrior