Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility ATV for "Hobby Farm"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility ATV for "Hobby Farm"?

Unless you want to have a recreational vehicle to "play with", just buy a tractor. I paid a ton of bucks for a John Deere 40 hp four wheel drive tractor and have never been sorry for doing so. When I get really old and move back into town. I'll probably be able to sell it for what I paid for it.

Tom [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have to spread the manure, we're getting quite a pile. Since I started this question we bought a Murray 25HP garden tractor with a 1/2 ton trailer + harrow. The manure (and everything else) is frozen solid right now but we'll see how it does. I'm still thinking we'll need to versatility of an ATP like the Polaris. If my wife gets serious about this place we'll have to get a tractor but I'm hopeless with mechanical things so it would have to be a new one. We priced a Deere with attachments at $15K!

Old 01-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Without reading everyone's post here's my opinion. I agree with your choice of looking at a SRA machine. For farm work I would look at a machine with 500cc. The Suzuki Vinson or Praire/TwinPeaks both are nice machines with SRA.

The best thing to do is hit all the dealers and see what's out there.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You can get a Kubota with a backhoe, and a front bucket for less than that... around $13K or less. Should fit your needs quite well for loading manure etc.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

In my opinion, there is no comparison between tractors and ATV's. You need to decide what jobs you are trying to do and then which piece of equipment will work best. As mentioned earlier, tractors have PTO's to power mowers and manure spreaders. The extra Hp of tractors allow you to mow, spread manure, and haul larger loads. ATV equipment can do some of the jobs, but it will take you many more hours to get the job finished. Example - tractor mowers can be 2 to 3 times wider than ATV mowers and can mow much taller grass at a higher speed. Tractors have more weight & Hp to pull larger loads meaning less trips to haul manure or carry wood or hay. If you need a loader, a tractor is the only way to go unless you buy a backhoe.

Yes, ATV's can pull a small trailer, they can pull a small mower but I would rather use them for the advantages they have around the farm. Things like checking fences, inspecting animals, herding animals, spot spraying, crop scouting, hauling tools to work site, quick transportation and recreation.

My time is too valuable to be using the wrong tool for the wrong job. I don't use the ATV just because it's there when I need a tractor.

Good Luck on your decision.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

Shroney,
Heres whats going to happen, either your going to buy a tractor and then an ATV, or else you will get an atv and then the tractor. The tractor is first and foremost when it comes to property management. Shovel crap for a day, then youll know. You will find that implaments for tractors are numerous and can do all sorts of useful things that you havent even thought of yet. Usually tractor implaments are more durable, numerous, cheaper and do a better easier job. An ATV only assists with ease the smaller tasks. If your like the rest of us and have a job or have things you would rather do, spending days doing a task that can take hrs really doesnt make sense. If money is tight or you really dont want to worry about another piece of equipment, buy the ATV and hire someone with equipment to scoop and spread. Another option is to rent something for a day or two, get aquainted with it, and then decide. Ive got two older tractors without loaders. Didnt pay more than $3000 for either one of them. Either on of them will do 10x that of an ATV . When I need a loader I borrow one. The atvs make lighter work, quick easy and more enjoyable. Luv my atvs, but out of necessity they would go before the tractor. If you buy a tractor, be very careful what you buy. Many imports are upgraded to meet U S specs in order to be sold here. As a result there is a mis-match of power vs mechanical strength. For example brand x increases hydralic volume and pressure by 38% in order to be sold in the states, however rods and shafts cannot withstand the additional torque, they bend and break. Stick with the better brands(Kubota,Deer,etc) and you will have a reliable machine that keeps its value. Ill shut-up now, sometimes I talk too much.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Barbwire,
There is wisdom in your words.I also thought an atv with various accessories might be the answer for small farm use.When I actually priced tractor implements and the durability it was an easy decision. I bought a used JD 4400hydro with a bucket loader. Now its time for an atv, which is why i am browsing the posts to see what all you atv owners like and dislike. I have been looking at the Honda rincon and rubicon.Also like the yamaha griz and kodiak machines seem to be excellent machines.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dear Sir,
Do you know a website or have info on all the "accessories" i can put on an ATV? I have myself bought a 91 acres farm and need to do stuff (what I am not sure though).
Tx,
Pierre

Old 08-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

91 acres is a good size hobby farm. Most of my atv stuff comes from tractor supply. You may want to search the web by typing in ATV accessories. Im not sure what your intentions are for your property. We have to grow some hay or throw some critters on it to maintain tax status. Do you live on or close to the property, or is it a good distance away? How much time your willing to spend on it will help decide what to do with it. With property that size you need to have a passion for it or else it will own you.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

If you like the Polaris ATP, I believe Kolpin has a dump box that mounts on the back rack of any ATV to make it into an ATP. Might be nice to have the option to have the rack or dump box. Swisher makes several products including a front plow that has interchangeable implements like an end loader bucket or forklift attachment. There is a score of ATV attachments on the market for logging, farming, mowing, etc... A tractor would probably do those chores more effeciently, but the ATV would be a lot more fun.

Quick Reply: Utility ATV for "Hobby Farm"?