Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help me decide which sport atv is best for my application.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide which sport atv is best for my application.

Ok I did alot of research and decided for sure that used is the way to go so I can use the extra 2 grand or so for mods. I am in between a few quads right now. 400ex, raptor, and banshee. Im going to buy one from like 2500-3000. I live in Indianapolis and thats a good ballpark of buying one modded with extras. I rode plenty of 400ex's because that all my relatives own in Hazard Kentucky except 4x4's. I live in Indy and thats where most of my riding will be. I plan on doing alot of high speed runs and jumps because thats mostly whats in my area. However I want the quad to be capavle of some real rough riding in the hills of Hazard Kentucky. There's lots of big hills with huge rocks where they ride. It's terrain where you would usually ride 4x4's. I'm going to put all the metal guards under neath to protect it. I like the 400 ex because of its reliability, but it could use some more top speed. I like the fact that it will pop you on the back wheels easy though, I love to ride wheelies all day long. I read on the yamaha section of this forum that the shee and the raptor are known for more problems. How much faster are the shee and raptor compared to the 400ex? Is there good bottom end on these two quads? They decent climbers? If you maintain them are they easy to use? Im not to scared if somthing goes wrong on any of these as I will eventually just rebuild the engine. I would just like some insight from experienced riders.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to mention I want somthing that pops on the back wheels easy. I will be doing alot of wheelies and such, but I need somthing good for trails and hills. I figured the shee might because I see them in magazines for hill climbing alot. The 400ex is the most reliable out of all three from what I have heard.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

i would get the raptor because the banshee isnt really good for trails because its a 2 stroke and it doesnt have reverse my but my opinion

Old 01-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Ill second the idea of not buying a shee cause they will be banining two stroke atvs and dirt bikes in the near future....(no this cause a friend of mine works with envirmntal people) A 400 ex is a good quad dont get me wrong except for the fact it doesnt have reverse..........unless you buy the other version which does.........anyway if i were u i would buy a raptor but you cant buy a new raptor for the money your willing to spend.......2500 to 3 is certainly not enough for this quad and know that i think of it, you wont even be able to a buy a 400ex cause they are 4 unless u buy used.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

I agree about the Banshee. My uncle and cousin both have them. They're sweet quads, definitely enough speed for you I'm sure. But for trailing, I'm leaning towards the Raptor myself. Have you considered the KFX/Z/DVX400 models? They're probably comparable to the 400EX in performance, but also have reverse. Another thing to think about is if you're buying used, you'll probably find the 400EX cheapest. Atleast that's how it is around here. The Raptor will also put the front end up without trying even easier than the EX. Lots of torque. I suggest the Raptor as well.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is the maintence on a raptor pretty easy? How fast are they out of the box? Do they hold up good? Are you speaking from experience because you have one or just suggesting one? Any reasons you personally would go raptor over the 400ex. I want a raptor but see the yamaha guys complain about them alot.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 88crxsi
Is the maintence on a raptor pretty easy? How fast are they out of the box? Do they hold up good? Are you speaking from experience because you have one or just suggesting one? Any reasons you personally would go raptor over the 400ex. I want a raptor but see the yamaha guys complain about them alot.
Yes. They probably do 70-75 maybe not sure. They hold up very good. I had one. Raptors have a wide wheelbase which makes it harder to flip, has reverse and like i said earlier has probably the most torque out of any 4 stroke. SOME YAMAHA PEOPLE ARE STUPID SORRY....................................

Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

By the way where are you going to get the other $3500.........raptors are 6000 and change out the door, unless you buy used.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Another reason u shouldnt get a banshee is because you will fowl a plug every time you ride in your area..........which over time does cost you......Another thing i should mention is that all 2 stroke engines will be banned in 2006 according to one of my buddys in EPA.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, the two stroke ban is ONLY on the sale of new engines that don't pass the emissions specs starting next year. I don't think Yamaha will be selling anymore Blasters or Banshees after this time. There are some sleds that will still be produced and sold, at least the last I knew. You will still be able to ride any two stroke you wish after the 'ban', just won't be able to buy brand new in all likelihood. The Banshee can be insanely fast/powerful. However the stock suspension sucks, and they are a bit of a handful on tight trails. In my opinion, I don't think you would have much fun in extreme terrain. They can be set up however you like though, and are a dime a dozen used. If you don't like the top end on the 400ex, I would look to either a z400 or Raptor. Both will wheelie on command. Stock handling is better on the z, but the Raptor has more speed potential due to the bigger engine. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would be looking for an 02 Raptor. Around here they are advertised for $3500+ usually. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Help me decide which sport atv is best for my application.