Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Kodiak 450 or Outlander 400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 or Outlander 400?

I hope to upgrade my wife's ATV in the next few months. I have done a lot of research and looked at numerous models. I have narrowed it down to two choices;:

2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450 or 2005 Bombardier Outlander 400 HO.

Ride comfort is one of my primary objectives. We mostly ride trails, and many of them are quite rocky. I also plan to plow snow with it.

I suspect we would be happy with either choice - they both look like great machines and I have read excellent reviews on both.

I would appreciate opinions from those that have experience with either machine. I would especially appreciate opinions from anyone that has ridden or owned both (or older models).

Any advice to help me break the tie?

Old 01-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

Kodiak is a smaller ATV in size so it'll be easier to maneuver.It has metal racks,and the new seat on it is awesome.It also has three options for wheel drive-2wd,4wd limited slip,and 4wd diff. lock.I think the Bombardier has a longer warranty though.Your right about not going wrong with either machine,they are both tops in there class.Good Luck!!

Old 01-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Check out the jan 05 issue of atv action magizine. They had a test between the two of them....they seem to like the bomb better.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

I read that article and I can't believe they picked the Bomb over the yamaha. I think it's whoever put the most money advertising into the magazine that's who the winner is. To me I don't care which machine had the faster time in a drag race. I bought my machine because of the snow and mud we ride thru. Don't go by a mag write up they give to much false info (I would say this even if the 450 won the shootout). The only way to pick is to go and physically see these machines and ride them and ask the salesman lots of questions.

By the way I love my Kodiak. No problems. Perfect fit and finish. I would rather have the steel racks over the bombs plastic ones.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

I agree that most of the magazine reviews are more hype than fact, but I still enjoy reading them and doing my homework. Sometimes it brings up issues I hadn't considered.

I stopped at the bookstore to buy the Jan 05 issue of ATV Action, but it is no longer on the shelves. And it isn't yet available as a back issue order. Does anyone know where I can find a Jan issue for sale? Do the dealers carry those magazines?

Old 01-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Try the local library, ours has dirt wheels and atv action, if they arent there, ask the libarian if one of the other branches has it. If it doesnt , think about making a gift subscription to the library, it gives the teenage boys something educational to read, besides the african section of national geographic.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Check out this wesite.......www.atvtv.com......they have reviews on those quads.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for that website link. Those are great reviews - devoid of all the marketing hype - just plane and simple facts (or opinions). Unfortunately, they are on the 2004 models so it doesn't include the IRS on the Kodiak or the improved suspension on the Hondas.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

The IRS on the Kodiak only makes it better. Both quads are great and at the top of their class. Tuff decision! Personally I like the Kodiak. There are probably more Yamaha dealers than Bombardier. That means more places to shop for a better price, more places to get parts, more accessories avaliable that are designed for the Kodiak. The Outlander is a great quad, don't get me wrong, I just think I'd get the Kodiak, if it were me. Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

I am currently leaning towards the Kodiak for three reasons:
- Easier to find parts for Yamaha than Bombardier (in Utah anyway)
- The Outlander is about 7" longer, which would make a really tight fit in my shed and trailer
- I really like the engineering of the Outlander, but I worry about the production quality

And now that Honda upgraded their suspension on the 2005 models, I am wondering if I should reconsider the Rancher AT. I really like that Hondamatic transmission. Does anyone have experience with the 05 Rancher AT? How is the ride? Would it be easier or harder than the Kodiak for my wife to manage on the trail?

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450 or Outlander 400?