Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

anyone else been scammed by dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 04:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else been scammed by dealership

metro powersports in canton michigan is a prime example of scamming at it's finest.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

A buddy of mine bought a Grizzly out of state at a dealership that doesn't charge a set up fee. When he took it to a local dealership to get warranty work done ( carb problem, leaking gas) that dealer ship charged him for it. He complained so they waived the charge but said that they had to charge him a set-up fee because the other dealership didn't charge it. He called Yamaha. When he went back to the dealership they gave him a check for the set-up fee they charged and told him they were sorry. I guess they must have got chewed out by the big shots at Yamaha.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thank you for your unbiased reporting of the facts. Id hate to see a business get hurt by rumour or opinions.
Theres two sides to every story, at least present one of them.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

After talking to a dealership for 2 weeks upon arrival we were set on a price of $5999.99 on a 2004 Honda Rubicon. We drove 150 miles out of state to the dealership. The guy was very helpful in helping us as soon as we arrived. We then got directed to the finance dept were there tried to sell of the perks. We decided on the extended warranty. Our payments were 166.00 a month. We then got the four wheeler loaded and went back in to finalize the deal. When we sat down the amount to be financed was going to be 9300.00. We went from financing around 6000.00 to 9300.00......When looking at the papers we got the vehicle for 5999.00

5999.00 vehicle
1250.00 destination charge
695.00 pre paid freight
175.00 custom assembly fee
160.00 documentation
total price now 8279.00

then it went on
160.00 vehicle controls calibration/prep
525.00 extended service plan
249.00 tire and wheel safeguard

Which makes total finance 9213.00 now we went from financing around 6800.00 that we were told to that amount. Now to me that it is crazy. Someone driving that far to get a four wheeler. After talking with the guy he did cut the destination charge to 500.00 and waived the 249.00 tire and wheel safeguard. Which now has our total price of financing 8214.00. I think that is still crazy for the amount to be that much. I feel as though 500.00 for destination is stupid. When talking to them on the phone I asked what color do you have in stock and green was on of them. So for them to say they had to go pick it up on another dealership is crazy. For that kind of money I could have drove 20 min and got the same thing and would not have had to drive so far. After the deal was complete he did give me a helmet and goggles for free. Didn't offer to give a shop mannual or anything for all of the problems. When we were about to leave my wife asked me where the paper work was I went back in and the guy that had been so helpful in the beginning wouldn't even get up to ask if there was something else I needed. That is pretty bad customer service. The guy that was financing the deal got the paperwork and shook my hand.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I hate to break it to you but........you got ripped bad!

Old 01-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wrastlinfan
metro powersports in canton michigan is a prime example of scamming at it's finest.
yea man, i was so close to buying a cr-125 from that place about a year ago, then they gave me the same bull they gave you, i just walked out.

where are you from? i live about 10 minutes from that place, used to play hockey at an arena across from there.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: wrastlinfan

5999.00 vehicle
1250.00 destination charge
695.00 pre paid freight
175.00 custom assembly fee
160.00 documentation
total price now 8279.00

then it went on
160.00 vehicle controls calibration/prep
525.00 extended service plan
249.00 tire and wheel safeguard

I hope you were bending over when you signed that contract.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Looking at the charges:

5,999 vehicle - great price for a 7,199 msrp. Makes it look like you are really getting a deal.
1,250 destination - Total BS charge designed to get that 6k vehicle price back up to msrp
695 PP freight - WTF is prepaid freight? Even the worst dealers I've ever seen add in about 120 for shipping.
175 assembly - quasi-legit fee. Some dealers charge for it, some absorb it by not dealing down as much from msrp.
160 documentation - High but many dealers who like to model after car sales will pull this one. Depending on your state, you could have $20 to $50 in registration fees that are legit, the rest is the dealerships "cost" to mail in the paperwork.
160 controls and calibration???? - This is to double check that they set it up wrong??? Total BS price jacking here.
525 extended service - Finally a legit charge, a fair price if you want the coverage.
249 wheel & tire safeguard - If this is some kind of wheel and tire insurance that will cover most types of trail damage, then it could be a legit charge (and it could even be worth it) most likely there are som many clauses in the coverage that it's worthless.

I've seen some dealers that lure you in with "low" prices for the ATV, then hit you with mandatory charges like set up, documentation etc. Other dealers don't discount as much but then again, that is the total price you pay with no add on pricing - no set up, no delivery. It usually turns out the the dealer without all the BS fees has a lower out the door price.

Shame on that dealer for making you this "deal'

Shame on you for not walking out the door.

I would love to hear this dealers side to this story - I can't see any way to spin this other than the basic "lure them in, get them sold on that shiney new quad, then slip in the charges".

Jaybee

Old 01-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yep, sounds like a rip. I would have unloaded their quad and left.
Next time you get a quote...ask for the "out the door" price. This is the all inclusive price...taxes, fee, bs and all. that way when you shop around for price, you can compare apples to apples. As you found out, they low ball the list price on the quad...it gets you in, and when you become emotionally attached to the quad, out comes the ky jelly.
Sorry to hear about your experience, but now that youre educated, you wont let it happen again.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why would someone drive 150 miles to pay over $8000. for a 2004 Rubi? This can't be a real story. Can it? It kinda makes me glad I'm me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] -------- You could have bought a King Quad and had money leftover. You could have bought a 2005 Rubi and had money leftover.

I would contact Honda and tell them about all the extra charges. You can call them at the phone number in your manual. It's not a 1 800 number. I guess Honda can't afford to have a 1 800 number. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

It really comes down to walking away. You didn't have to buy it. At least not there.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks coyote the phone is ringing as i type

Quick Reply: anyone else been scammed by dealership