Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

polaris

Old 09-18-2000, 06:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is wanting an ATV of her own and I was wondering about a polaris. Their automatic and should be an easy ride for her. My only concern is that I heard a lot of bad press about the polaris. Alot of mechanical problems and whatnot. Are these good bikes or not. I love my wife but don't want to spend the day fixing her ride and not ride myself.

Old 09-18-2000, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

MY WIFE HAS BEEN RIDING A MAGNUM 425 2X4 FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS. WE USUALLY RIDE ABOUT 5 OUT OF 7 DAYS A WEEK. NO PROBLEMS AS OF YET. I JUST REPLACED CHAIN AND SPROCKETS FROM ORGINALS. WITH A LITTLE MAINTENACE THIS BIKE SHOULD LAST A LONG TIME.ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME.HAPPY TRAILS AND TREAD LIGHTLY.

Old 09-18-2000, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris quality has improved over the years but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Scan the forums & look at the problem posts, sure Polaris has there problems but they are number 2 in sales, so they must be doing something right. The other manufacturers have their problems too.

I am looking for a automatic for my next quad, but I am looking at Yamaha & Kawasaki first, then maybe a Polaris.

The most important thing is to find a quad that fits your wife the best. My wife had never been on a quad befor & she learned how to shift gears.

Old 09-18-2000, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Burrlok:
If you're looking for an automatic, you're right, they are a lot easier for your wife to drive, just give it as much or as little throttle as you want, no worries about which gear to be in, or shifting while in deep mud or hill climbing. Polaris has auto's, I run the AC 500 Auto and absolutely love it, though it might be a little large for your wife, there's also the Kodiak 400 Auto. All are very good machines.

As for the Polaris issues with reliabilty, I think it's blown out of proportion considerably. I think as long as you take care of your machine, and are not abusing it, keeping up with regular maintence, etc., you won't have any problems with any machine out there. Granted, Polaris did have a few problems a while back, but I think they've come a long way in fixing them. People will argue that the Honda's are the most reliable quad out there, but again, it's all in who you talk to. Every machine out there has it's bugs, or problems to work out, but at the same time, I don't believe there is a "bad" quad out there.

If you really like the polaris, and feel your wife would be happy with it, then by all means, go get her one. I would suggest having her test ride a few first so she gets the "feel" of what she will be riding. This isn't exaclty something you can pick out for her, she'd pretty much have to do that for herself. I would also suggest taking a look at a few other Auto's such as the AC or kodiak, just to compare features, qualities, and ride of each machine. One thing to think about is the maintenance issue. Polaris quads have a number of grease zerks to keep up with if you happen to encounter a lot of mud or water. This may be something to think about. If you know for a fact you won't remember to grease them, or may occasionally forget to do so, then consequently you may end up with worn out parts. Keep in mind though, this is not the machines fault, everything that requires grease, needs to be greased, if not, they will wear out. That's one thing I like about the AC, it's completely sealed, so I don't have to worry about it. -Yeah, I'd get lazy myself and forget to grease it, so for me, I'm better off with the sealed unit. Just a personal preference.

Anyhow, like I said, if you like the features of the Polaris machines, go for it, you can't go wrong with anything out there, especially with proper care and maintenance.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 09-18-2000, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Get the polaris, YOU'LL BE HAPPY. They make the best bike for your wife. Mag325 2x4 is awesome according to my friend.

Old 09-20-2000, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you do 4x4 riding get her a Polaris Xpedition 325. If you do faster riding get a Trail Boss 325.
And Polaris is actually a fairly good company.

Old 09-20-2000, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

whatever machine you decide make sure you have a good reputable dealer that will stand behind it..that means alot after the purchase.ride as many as you can and then choose whats best for the need..theres alot of nice quads out there

Old 09-20-2000, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Like they all said, Polaris makes great quads. Greasing the zerts takes about 10 minutes every few rides or so. I notice that when I grease mine, every 2 rides, that it needs no grease. I do it just for the fun of it...yes it is fun!

The automatic transmission is great and so is the single lever braking. Polaris upgraded there brakes this year, so they should stop on a dime and last a long time.

Try a few different makes and models and get what feels right for your wife.

Old 09-24-2000, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't worry about the quality of a Polaris. They seem to be built 'tough' (so does A/C). What causes the most trouble is lack of maintanence. If you are the type who will grease it often enough, oil the chain if it isn't a shaft drive model, and check the air cleaner, you should have good luck. The only people I know of with any trouble with them don't pay them any attention except when they are riding. If maintanence isn't your cup of tea, the A/C or Yamaha autos are good bets. Some don't have selectable 2wd/4wd which is something you will always want once you have it. Just find the one that seems to 'fit' her best. I don't think there really are any lemons out there any more.
Farmr