Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How to work with a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to work with a dealer?

I have read many different threads on this site and have come across many good and bad happenings with dealers. I am looking at buying two atvs from a dealer. This should give me some workable leverage, but I would like to know what a normal dealer's markup is and/or what percent should i be able to come down from MSRP. What other fees should there be to get a true out the door price? i.e. set-up, freight and destination, document fees, etc. Just wondering how to walk in to a dealer's showroom and be ready to walk when i don't get my numbers. Or more importantly just wondering how i arrive at my numbers before going to the dealer.
Thanks,
hopeful new owner

p.s. Any help with dealers in NM would be great.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

I am using www.atvtraderonline.com for price. I have seen the price drop a lot. Some dealer will not charge the extra stuff. Just taxes. If you can buy out of state, they will not charge you taxes. If you got to do dmv, that where you would pay taxes. Just go to atv trader and copy 3 dealer and avg it. Then say that what i want to pay. That would give you a fair price.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

This is a good question. There are lots of ads on the ATV trader that are not what they seem. I called a few when I was getting ready to purchase my wolverine last year. I did find that there were some legitimate deals out there. A few dealerships will sell their bikes below MSRP including all fees. Other dealers will tell you that it is not possible. If you hear this, look at them with a funny smirk on your face, then turn around and walk out of there. I paid 4800 for my wolverine not including tax. This worked out to be 4600 + 160 for setup + 25 for a trip permit. (I needed the trip permit because I bought it outside of my home state). I don't know where the other 15 buck went. Anyway, I got out the door for 400 less than msrp (not including taxes). After paying the taxes, I was in the bike for about the msrp.

Just as an example, another dealer 20 miles down the road stood there and told me that they could not come off msrp and furthermore had to add freight and setup. It worked out to be something like 5200 + freight and setup. The end figure was 6000.00. I saved over 800 bucks by shopping around. 800 dollars is a large percentage of a 5200.00 item.

By the way, I bought the bike with cash. I could not believe that a dealership would let you walk without offering any price cut whatsoever, but I do now.

Just be patient and shop around. Do not pay over MSRP for any bike.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh like with any major purchace if you pay cash YOUR in the driver seat..any reasonable price would be hard to refuse.

I have a local high volume dealership not come off msrp..it would have been a tad over 7 grand OTD.

Instead as the forums members urging i did much more shopping around.

Got the quad I wanted for 6290 OTD which I thought was a good deal.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

I've got to agree with madwolverine. If you shop around, you should be able to find a dealer that is willing to sell a bike for under msrp unless the it is an extremely new model. When I bought my bike I checked 7 different dealerships ranging from 15 miles to 80 miles from my house. Out of those, 2 wanted msrp cost plus tax and the other 5 were all under. I didn't go with the cheapest dealer (it was 80 miles away). I chose to go with one that was 20 miles away (and my family has done business with them before) and cost me $80 more. After set up and an extended warranty I bought it for $210 under msrp (I didn't have to pay sales tax because the bike is mainly for farm use, but the extended warranty was $450). Shop around and it will be well worth your time.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Old 02-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

I know this is off the subject a little. Several years ago I wanted a new Ranger pick up. I went everywhere. I was trading in my old Ranger. Everyone would beat the other guy by a few dollars. One salesman was laughing at me out on the showroom floor along with the other salesmen. There were customers there and everything. He said I would never get a better deal than the one he was giving me. I told him that I'll get a better deal and when I do I'll bring my truck back and show it to him. He laughed. When I left that dealership I could feel my bloodpressure boiling. I continued my search Then I found a salesman at another dealership that was striaght foward. He didn't try to confuse me with numbers and a sales pitch. He was an old guy and said he knows how most salesman are. He was old and and didn't grow up with that mentality. Anyway, to make a long story short, that old man beat the other salesman's price by about $95 a month payment. Over 5 years that adds up to almost $6000. The sticker price on the two Rangers was only about $300 difference, by the way. When I got my new Ranger I took it straight to the other dealership and brought the other salesman out. He said.... you're back, and started laughing. I think he thought I came back to renegotiate. I told him I had something to show him. At first he said I was lying, that I didn't get that kind of deal. He said I got a lease I didn't buy I said you're wrong. Then he said I got the 4 cylinder not the V6. Wrong again, I said. I offered to show him the sales reciept in the glove compartment. He Didn't want to see it. I told him this;..........The next time a young guy comes in here wanting to buy a vehicle maybe you should work with him instead of trying to rip him off. The price on your Ranger and this one are only $300 difference. If I bought off of you I'd have spent almost $6000 more. Instead of laughing at me in front of customers and the other salesman you should have tried been working on a better deal. You didn't and you lost a sale. I told you when I left that I'd get a better deal and I did. Maybe I should tell some of the customers you have walking around here now, about your deal and the other guy's deal. He just stood there with his mouth open but didn't say a word. Man.....did I feel good when I left there.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wolve-
That's a great story. It does make you feel good when you get the best deal, but it even makes it more gratifying knowing that you proved someone wrong. I hope you stood at the dealership door and repeated your story to all potential customers until they kicked you out. There are a lot of people out there who do find the better deal, but very rarely do people go back and tell another dealer. It does make you wonder why you have to go through all the BS to get the same item from different dealers. If they just charged one price then the stupid people wouldn't get ripped off, but I suppose then I wouldn't be able to get a great deal.