Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

660R Raptor For My First ATV

Old 03-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660R Raptor For My First ATV

just dont by to small of a quad to "learn on"; youll regret it and spend more $ in the long run. My kfx 400 is much smoother on the trails then my buddies raptors, but for dunes it a good quad{$$$or a ds650$$$}. By the way, irode with my buddy today , and to make a long story short, i was towing his raptor back to the trucks.....problem still not determed???

Old 03-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer

Thinks for the info but I think im still going to get the raptor.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah you should be ok on a raptor 660 but they wheelie easy, but you have to watch out because some raptors have messed up screws around the battery and lose thier connection a lot so you need to tighten the battery bolts good if you get a loose screwed one. but don't worry because not all raptors are messed up with the screws and the screws stay tightend after about 5 times tightening them then you'll be fine just make sure you store a screw driver or wrench under your seat when you go riding just in case.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thinks for the info nice to know.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Hilucky.. gonna clue you in here a little... it sounds like you already made your decision on a Raptor 660 before you even asked the question... and that is OK.. but don't try and keep coming back until you have someone who agrees with you to justify it in your mind, or use us to convince someone else that it would be ok.

So far, it looks like just about everyone commenting here has given you some sort of warning about jumping on a Raptor and it being your first bike... That should tell you something. But it seems you are not hearing it.... so don't take our comments as a green light. There are many red flags waiving here.. I hope you remove the blinders and look for them.

Chances are very good, that you are going to get hurt on it. If you want to solicit opinions from so called experienced riders, it is up to you to listen to what is being said... and learn from those comments. After all, you are the next generation of enthusiast, and we want your experience to be a good one.. not one spent in pain. Nor do we want to read about it in some statistical response used to try and take our sport away from us.

It is NOT a beginner machine.... And even though you might like the evil looks, and your buddies may be telling you different... it is something that can reach out and bite you in a second. I know, I have one, and I don't ride it as much as I do my Warrior for many reasons. Fear is not one of them. It is an expensive lesson to go through only to have it sit in the shed... I may have several machines at my disposal.. but that doesn't matter. I ride them all... and what I said in my other messages to you still stands....

Good luck.. and by all means, get all the safety gear you can find.. because if you still go and buy one, you are going to need it all..
Sorry to be blunt... but I sincerely hope you reconsider... for your sake...

Old 03-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Well said dragginbutt!!!

I am an experienced rider and I flipped my raptor 1st day out,,,,,,,,it bit me. I have a new found respect for the machine,,,and we get along pretty good now.

HiLuckyB,,,,,check out AustinOneal photo page.

You can usually find a cheap raptor because family members are usually trying to cash em in to pay for hospital bills.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Both of my firends started on raptors and they are yet to hurt themselves. I dont think its the machine its how you ride it. A 400ex will punish you just the same as a raptor so no matter what you get make sure you respect it. Overall i think you will be happier with a 400 in the long run.Dont just look at it as a big 660 and a little 400. anyone who rides a 400 with raptors knows they can smoke them on trails without feeling a tipping sensation that you get on a raptor. Just mark my words, the raptor is not the fastest quad out there, but it is top heavy and pretty dangerouse to learn on.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Now that I have look at different atv's I am now thinking of getting the DS 650. I seen one at a dealer and it look like a better atv for me then the raptor. What do you think? im 6' 285LB. Thanks

Old 03-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: HiLuckyB
Now that I have look at different atv's I am now thinking of getting the DS 650. I seen one at a dealer and it look like a better atv for me then the raptor. What do you think? im 6' 285LB. Thanks
a short bus???

if you want yellow,,,,get the Z

Old 03-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

get a z\kfx\dvx. But between the raptor and ds650 go with the 650, there are enogh reviews out there to tell myou why

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 660R Raptor For My First ATV