Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

TRYIN TO DECIDE WHICH 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2000, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I'VE NARROWED MY CHOICES DOWN TO
400 2x4 POLARIS AND THE YAMAHA WARRIOR WHICH ONE WOULD BE THE BEST AS FAR AS ALL AROUND RELIABILITY AND EASE OF OPERATING I'M NEW TO QUADS
SO I'M KINDA STUMPED

Old 09-23-2000, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To help yourself decide I think you need to decide what kind of riding you'll be doing..lots of mud or boulder patches with maybe some work around the place thrown in like towing a trailer or hauling hunting gear? Or just sport riding on trails with some high speed open XC?
Once you determine that you may have to include other machines in your choices.

Old 10-01-2000, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

The polaris wins the ease of use, drivability, speed & likely the quality of ride categories. The Yamaha wins in ease of maintanence (the Polaris has zerks to grease), and will likely have a longer life. Parts/repairs are cheaper for the Polaris, though. I think quality wise they are all getting so close, I would pick the one that seems to best suit your riding style & fits you best. If you plan to hunt or work with your machine, and want an auto, be sure it has hi/lo range on it to save the belt on hard use. Just for running around, it doesn't matter much.

Old 10-03-2000, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

a warrior kills a 400 utility machine even if it 2 wheel drive and it has 8 zerks to grease just on the front a-arms and plus i drag raced one and it didnt stand a chance and that was a mud drag so dont even say it has better speed i have a warrior and i love it to death i would not trade it for the world and plus if you like to jump and ride trails and do some mudding go with the warrior trust me

p.s. the warrior also weighs like 100 pounds less so there is no way it will out run a warrior

so choose wisely choose a warriro

speedster350

////////////////////////////////////////

ATV Connection Forum guidelines prohibit abusive commentary. This post has been edited for that reason. In order to ensure your future participation in the Forum, please follow these simple guidelines, and adhere to basic precepts of common courtesy.

ATVBBS
////////////////////////////////////////

Old 10-04-2000, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

I hate to burst your bubble, but the 2wd Polaris 400 is NOT a utility machine! I would hope a warrior would outrun the utility version. I don't think top speed was part of the question. Dano was asking about ease of operation and reliability. If you want speed over everything else, get a Banshee. I was trying to point out the main differences between the two models mentioned as best I knew.
If you do decide to go with the Polaris, and it isn't quite fast enough, they are much easier to speed up than a Warrior. Bolt on kits are available up to 60 HP or more. Can't go wrong with a warrior though, it is a good, solid machine. I think the best one is the one that would have the best 'feel' on a test drive.
I know I didn't really say much, but I felt the last post screamed for some sort of reply.
Farmr
PS Didn't mean to dis' the Warrior. It is a good machine, but so is the Polaris 400.

Old 10-04-2000, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

If the polaris 400 2x4 is the one I'm thinking of it is a 2-stroke, where the Warrior is a 4-stroke.

I think the 2-stroke will be less reliable than the 4-stroke, but easier to work on. Generally speaking, it costs less to improve the performance of a 2-stroke engine vs. a 4-stroke.

I think the polaris would be easier to ride since the only two gear choices you have are forward and reverse.
But, as you get more experienced you may start wishing you had a manual clutch/transmission like the warrior.

Take 'em for a ride and pick the one you like.

BTW, I'm curious why the 400ex and 300ex didn't make it into your final choices.

Old 10-04-2000, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

O.K. I would like to thank everyones input I made a choice well the dealer helped he sold the 400 scrambler i was lookin at so I test drove the 500 Scrambler and I got to say YEEEEEEEHAAAAAA I loved it what a blast so I went with the 500 I rode a BANSHEE it wasnt what I expected I rode the WARRIOR it was a great machine but was little awkward for me and then I rode the 500 SCRAMBLER and all my questions were answered so I am a proud owner of a 2001 500 SCRAMBLER THANKS GUYS

Old 10-04-2000, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent choice.

Old 10-06-2000, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Very good choice. 4-stroke, fast, reliable and 4x4 on top of that!

Old 10-07-2000, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

ok thats like asking if you want a car or boat. One (scrambler) is a 2 stoke automatic, andone is a 4 stoke clutch. If you are thinking of racing any, then go for the warrior. The sport/scrambler (i own one) is hard to ride hard, and throttle is hesatent because of the automatic transmision, and the suspension is not very good either

Quick Reply: TRYIN TO DECIDE WHICH 1