Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV Decision Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Dession Help

I am looking at buying an ATV for myself and my wife. I have looked at several brands and need advice on which one would be the best for the money. Honda Rancher 350, Artic Cat 250 (wife) 400 for me, Polaris 330 and the Yamaha Bruin.

Brian

Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Dession Help

Originally posted by: taz7290
I am looking at buying an ATV for myself and my wife. I have looked at several brands and need advice on which one would be the best for the money. Honda Rancher 350, Artic Cat 250 (wife) 400 for me, Polaris 330 and the Yamaha Bruin.

Brian
The most fun the wife and I have had ATV riding has been since we sold her quad and we bought a 2up Arctic Cat. Riding together is so much more fun.

Each of the machines you have mentioned are pretty small - depending on your intentions.

And its decision - not dession.

But welcome to the forums anyways. There are both really really smart people here to help - along with an equal number of others. Now all you have to figure out is whom is which... Good Luck!

Old 03-08-2005, 02:19 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ATV Dession Help

Sounds like you are looking for a ute??? The Honda Recon is a real kick to ride, if you don't need a big bike and beg power.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default ATV Decision Help

Brian, judging by the looks of your list, I assume your decision is being driven by available dollars correct? All are decent machines, although experience says that in many cases, eventually you will want the bigger bores with all their options and gadgets.. and if that happens in a year or two, and you trade up, you will be spending a lot more money this way. Take a hard look at what you want to do.. and make sure your wife really has an interest. Don't use her to get what you want...

I dont' know how big or heavy either of you are, how strong etc. I can give you a little advise though. Machines that are full time 4x4 will be a handfull on the trail if you intend to ride for long periods of time. If you have the option of switching to two wheel drive mode, it will greatly relieve the stress your arms will feel from wrestling a 4x4 only machine all day.

If you or you rwife tend to be smallish in size... then the 350 to 400 class is perfect. If you are close to 6 ft, or over 200 pounds, then you might look to something larger. Sit on them. Turn them lock to lock. Work the controls.. in short go for comfort now before you buy. When you get on the trail, you will thank yourself. If it feels uncomfortable, or just not a good fit.. move on. It isn't going to magically fix itself once you push it out the door and into your hauler.

Also, I suggest you find the time to get some formalized riding instruction.... you can never be too safe on one of these.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate all of your replys. I am 6 ft and way 220. I am looking just to go out and trail ride and maybe find a few mud holes here and there. Do not junt, but just want to go out and have fun. Not letting the wife settle my decision. I have sat on all of the above and went out rode the Honda and Polaris. I like the Arctic 400 for size and the suspension and like the Bruin as well. Just want input from one's who have been riding allot longer than I have on quality and comfrot.

Brian

Old 03-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well then... if your riding is going to be knocking around on trails, and you want something that has enough power today and tomorrow, I'd point you to maybe a Kodiak 450.... It has all the bells and whistles, plenty of power, liquid cooled, and IRS. You can use in 2wd until you need 4wd, then hit a button.

For the wife, I'd look at the RancherAT. I like that because of the tranny, and they have a pretty low center of gravity, which translates to a safer feeling around corners and off cambers for your spouse....

But I'd really like to point you to the Yamaha Rhino side by side.... If your trails can handle them... they have FUN writen all over them.. and you get to enjoy it together... I've not seen anyone go back to an ATV after getting one.... they are WAY COOL...