Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need some advice on buying 1st ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on buying 1st ATV

Hi guys and gals, I need some help getting my first quad. My fiancee and I (her name is frizzle on this forum) are getting quads. She is either going to get the Honda TRX250EX or the Polaris Trailblazer 250. I am looking at the Honda TRX400EX or the Troy Lee Edition Predator 500. I have been riding motorcycles for years and have ridden my buddies quads a ton. I have always had Honda motorcycles (great resale value and bulletproof quality). Some of my friends have the Honda 400ex and they love it. What would you guys select if given the choice and why? I want to buy our quads at the same dealer, so it is either going to be Polaris or Honda. Any help is appreciated!

Old 03-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

I think you should definitely go with the Troy Lee Predator. It has all the things your looking for: Speed, Speed, Reverse, and Speed! What else do you need?

Old 03-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Man that is a tough one. Personally I would take a good look at the Yamaha line-up. Say the Raptor or the YFZ450, but if you are hard set on a Honda or a Polaris thats your choice. I think the new 05 400ex has reverse. Correct me if I'am wrong there. The Pred is going to be faster out of the box, but it is heavier. The Ex is very well balanced and the mods are everywhere. The Hondas are known for they bullet proof design. I dont think that the polaris' are as reliable, but thats my opinion, I dont have facts to back that up. Hopefully you will get more info from some of these guys who have both, but you can bet that they are going to be brand biased[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. (unlike my yamaha push) LOL! Sounds like your lil women has her mind made up on the Polaris. I would say you cant go wrong either way. Good luck, let us know what you get, and BTW welcome to the forums. There is a ton of info, along with a lot of b.s. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2005, 01:21 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polaris weighs a little more but the extra power more than makes up for it and it has better shocks. It would get my vote.

But the Ex is a good beginner machine with very user friendly type of power. Rock solid too! I think it would be good for you and your fiance.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hello johnnyz71. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Predator. Although the 400ex is nice, the Predator beats it in so many areas. Bigger engine, bigger fuel tank, wider track, wider rear tires, better tires, better wheels, shorter turning radius. It has 2 inches more suspension travel front and rear than the 400ex. With that much more suspension travel, the 30lb weight difference will be a non-issue. And riding in the bumps is all about suspension travel. I am not sure what type of riding you do, but I know I would not want the close ratio trans on the Troy Lee, I would would go for the standard trans; but this has a lot to do with rider preference and the type of riding you do. Your buddies do not want you to get the Predator, because you will clean their clocks with it. LOL
BryceGTX

Old 03-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

Honda has always made quality products. The 400EX is a great recreational quad. BUT, it cannot hold a candle to the Predator.
I think if you have ridden motorcycles and a bunch of quads, you will DEFINITELY prefer the Predator. The 05 Pred has reverse and all the bugs are now worked out by Polaris. Great handling and very comfortable. A quality machine, that will fly, and is rated by Dirt Wheels number one stock quad on the trails. I agree....JMO.

It will not make that much difference wether your (novice rider?) fiancee gets the Honda or the Trailblazer...both are good and reliable. I am assuming she is a novice since she wants an automatic? BUT, I think that is a waste of time for her because she will very soon want a quad with more guts! You should BOTH try the 400ex and BOTH try the Predator...unless you don't mind upgrading her quad in a year or less.

BTW - quad resale values will not continue to hold their value as they have in the past (like with the 250Rs and the Banshee's). This is because there is now sooo much competition from various manufacturers that did not used to be making truly competitive sport quads. Now we have design improvements every year, and many good quads to choose from.....so used quads will be less desireable, and used prices will fall faster that in the past years. JMO.

You will both have a lot of fun on the quads! Enjoy Life!

Old 03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Suzuki Z400 is by far the best all-around machine out there. Skip the 400EX/one dealer idea, and go find a Suzuki dealer and get yourself one! I own both the EX and the Z, so this isn't just some brand loyalty BS! Only a fool would buy a 400EX for the same MSRP as the Z, which is way more machine in every way. (You have been riding dirt bikes......don't forget and go put our foot down!)

Old 03-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Z400 any day of the week. We just bought one and from what i've heard its going to be sweet!

Old 03-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Go with what you know and are comfortable with.. If you get a predator, and anything goes wrong, you are going to kick yourself. I doubt you would have that same reaction if the same thing happens to the Honda...

Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Of the quads you mentioned, I'd say go with the Hondas. BUT!!! I think you'd be better off with the Suzuki Z-400 and Z-250, if you were to consider another brand. The Suzukis are priced about the same as the Hondas and in my opinion are slightly better ATVs.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on buying 1st ATV