Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

IRS or SRA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005 | 11:11 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default IRS or SRA?

'm going to be buying an ATV and my question is this...

Which is better IRS or SRA?...when looking at an ATV that will
-mud
-trail
-hill climb (off camber control is important)
-work will be limited to hauling firewood in a trailer and during the hunt assuming I get lucky. :-)

I've notice that Suzuki and Kawasaki have 36 month warranties on the Straight axled Prairie and Twin-Peaks but only 6 months on the Independant suspension models, BF 750, KQ 700.

Once I've decided whether I go with SRA or IRS then I'll start narrowing the field

Thanks for your help.

Denis

Old 04-29-2005 | 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default IRS or SRA?

SRA is better pulling, and of camber sections, and the trails

go with the pairie 700

Old 04-30-2005 | 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default IRS or SRA?

no the prarie 700 is a horrible machine you should get the twin peaks. just kidding im not that stupid

Old 04-30-2005 | 04:52 AM
Range Rover
Default IRS or SRA?

..........SRA is probably going to be your applications best bet..........better off camber as well as cornering stability. You will also not loose any ground under hitch load with SRA like you will with IRS.
IRS tends to be a bit over rated on ATV's.........great smooth ride going down a reasonably straight trail........but step it up on the twisty stuff and SRA is clearly superior.

Old 05-06-2005 | 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default IRS or SRA?

For deep ruts....the IRS is better
For mud with no ruts.....both about the same
For ride quality.....IRS
For off camber......SRA
For towing.......both, but SRA will not squat
For rock crawling........IRS for ground clearance, but SRA for stability

I have a 700 prairie and a 750BF and both are awesome. The prairie I use for more sport/utility riding and the BF for more mud/utility riding.

Old 05-16-2005 | 10:45 AM
co
Trailblazer
Default IRS or SRA?

Well, I was out on my Kodiak last week going over rocks and one front tire and the opposite side rear tire ended up on a rock making the atv teter. I had to bail and the atv ended up upside down. I wondered if I had IRS if that would have happened? The IRS may have allowed the other rear wheel to help with balancing, I do not know. Just food for thought.

Old 05-16-2005 | 10:57 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default IRS or SRA?

Thanks for your input so far. It's been helpful

Old 05-16-2005 | 01:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default IRS or SRA?

Your best bet, is find a dealer. who will let you test drive one of each. If youre serious about buying, they will let you. Then try cornering
and side hills. Youll be able to see if you like the tippy feeling of the irs or not. Once you buy, theres a steep drop in price to resell something you dont like, so you want to make sure the choice is a good one for you.

Old 05-17-2005 | 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default IRS or SRA?

Hi...KawiRules (& any other 'pro') could you look at my post above this one? It's concerning Single Vs. Dual Shock on a SRA. Got any input? I test rode the BF650 today - WOW - it ain't no '96 Kodiak - That's 4 sure!!!

I live in Central PA and we ride 'Big Murph' a lot. Very Steep and rocky till ya get up there then its a ATV'rs dream playgound - maybe you've heard of it?? I can ride from my house to Murph in about 25 Min. (on the Kodiak) - i would take about 12 on the BF650!!!

Thanx
M

Old 05-24-2005 | 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default IRS or SRA?

I dont know if you have bought one yet or not but I just went through the same thing... I couldnt decide between the P700 and the BF 750.. I got the P700 after much research and a few test rides on both.. One of my buddies has a P650 and another has a BF 750.. The BF was a nice riding machine but NOT FOR ME.. I like to play too much and slide the turns... Can be done on the BF but have to be careful.. I personally dont like the tipsy feeling of the IRS in certain situations... The P700 is much more stable feeling on the trail to me and at higher speeds you still feel like you have control of the bike... I am glad with the decision I made...