Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New ATV - Which suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ATV - Which suspension??

Hi guys - New to the forum but have been riding my '96 Kodiak since, ...well, '96!. Recent trip to Hatfield trails woke me up to the fact that its time to upgrade.
I've been lookin at the Kaw BF 650..It *really* is a good value...BUT...it has the single rear shock like the Kodiak. One of the things that is driving the upgrade is getting a better suspension, The Kodiak is a true Farm / Utility quad.(I would LOVE to have selectable 2-4wd) I was outclassed at Rockhouse.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] The guys I rode with all had newer stuff that got thru the woods fast and comfy. SOOO.... My question to you guys with wisdom...

1- I'm not real sold on IRS - Is a quad with dual rear shocks on a SRA much different than a single shock setup - like I have on the Kodiak?
2- I've read a lot about the TieRod issues with the BF - are they dependable? I went on a Poker Run last weekend (rode a DirtBike though) and didn't see a single BF 650 - wonder why??
3- I like the Vinson too but don't want to make a lateral move (400 -> 500 CC) But I'm not the kinda guy that HAS to have the biggest, Newest, Meanest thing out there (KingQuad, Rincon etc..)

This is a great forum - I'm learnin a lot from you guys!! Any opinions? Comments?
Thanx
M

Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

I will not profess to be an "expert" in any regard but having owned only SRA's until as of late I can say without question IRS is my preference now. Sure you can't swing the **** end out like on SRA and cornering they feel or actually appear to be tippy( afew laps and you get use to the feeling) but other than that I see nothing but positives with IRS. I hauled around 1000lbs by trailer to our hunting camp on the weekend it didn't show me any signs of not be up to the task and in fact my partner hung up on a downed log with SRA and lighter load, when I did not. I am sure that being more moving parts and extra CV's one would think a bit more maintainance maybe required but really whats a few more hits once you have the grease gun out. As far as CV's only one quad I had problems with tearing them, so I don't really see this a huge hold back the fronts got them...do you notice a problem with CV's? I really like the IRS for rutted trails, you feel nothing and can if desired rip it with not being tossed around. Where I hunt it is common to encounter fallen logs, have mismatched trails with boulders, bogs and last weekend sure made me feel solid vs the old quad and the extra clearance don't hurt either!

I am affraid can't help you on the bigger boys, except my dad moved to a grizzly from a Polaris 500HO and loves it to death. In my experiences lots of power and very nice ride. Personally for myself bigger was not better for where I go, so after much debate, research and dealer hoping I settled with 05' Kodiak 450..so far extremely happy and little nicer to handle in the tight stuff I encounter vs larger ute's IMHO.

Best of luck

Old 05-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx for the reply! What I really want to know is your (all of ya) opinon on the single shock SRA Vs. The Twin shock SRA. I looked at the Vinson along with the BF650 - Vinson has a Dual coilover solid rear - WHY??? What makes it so Friggin' special?? Is it a gimmick? My Kodiak and MOST non IRS Buggys have single shock SRA's.....
Thanx again

Old 05-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well during my process I was looking at Honda Rubi's as well, since 2 guys I ride with own them both are single rear shock models so I have rode them. I tested a 05 CTE Rubi and their was a noticable difference in the ride quality vs the single (which sort of rattles you in the chatter terrain). While it still didn't come near the IRS it was much improved in rough terrain in my perspective anyway. They also tried it and agreed, we purposely went to an area where the riding is fairly rough seeing I spend the bulk of my quad time in this type of terrain. So I would say in the case of hondas I was impressed more by the dual vs. the single, I suspect that would hold true with other models as well. The honda dealer said this changed to address ride quality users for Honda users