Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Newby needs help....price, model, etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby needs help....price, model, etc

Hey all,

I've browsed the threads for a bit, and have selected a model and got a price (after calling and talking to a few dealers in the area). Like others on here, I want a utuility ATV mostly for plowing snow, dragging out deer, yard work, etc. I settled on a Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4 Auto. The best price I can get is $4,395 (not out the door, but dealer promises no "funny" additions to price). Is this a reasonable price? Also, am I better off buying a winch and plow from the dealer, or shopping around elsewhere? I don't even know that I'll need a winch, given how I'm going to use the ATV, and it looks like you can rig up a plow without one.

Also, I am not "set" on the Bruin, so if there are similar models out there at a better price I am all ears. I would go as low as a 300, but haven't found the other features (mainly an auto so the wife can ride, but also 4x4). I'm really trying to stay below $5,000 out the door.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thats a good starting price he might come down some. You are better off buy a plow or winch from a catolog its usually cheaper.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. From a bit of surfing, I did get the sense that buying the plow and/or winch was cheaper if you did it outside of the dealership.

I'm not an exceptional "haggler," but I will give it a shot. Does coming down a little mean shaving off a couple hundred bucks...more/less?

Also, is there any sense in waiting? I don't really need the ATV until winter. I'm curious as to whether the 05 prices drop any when the 06 models come out (supposedly mid-june for Yamaha).

Old 06-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

Retail mark-up is around 12-15% and I think dealers also get a kickback after the sale and possibly other dealer incentives if they sell enough machines. So if the MSRP on the machine was 4500, than the dealer has paid 3700-3900 for it and might be getting another 100 after the sale. In my opinion, a fair sale is one where the dealer makes $500. That will cover the sales commision, the assembly, and keep the utility bills paid. Dealers also have to pay for delivery... that will either get figured in with the price or they'll try to charge you seperately.

Use your best judgement...

Old 06-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the information. This is sure a learning experience.

The MSRP is around for the Bruin 350 4x4 auto is $5,000 (give or take a hundred, depending upon what web site you check). If my gonculations are correct, (using 12-15% markup + $100 kickback) the dealer probably paid roughly 4,100-4,300.

If this is the case, then $4,400 doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

Does anyone know if there is a push to sell (at lower prices) 2005 machines once the 2006 machines are avialable? It seems to me that is the case sometimes with cars, but I don't know about ATV's. It would suck to buy a machine now and have the prices drop come July.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the dealer. Some around here laugh at the prospect of discounting last years new models(yet they still have a few brand new 04's left?) while others advertise lower prices as soon as the new years models are released. Buy the quad now and just stop shopping, then you won't know about any lower prices. As for the winch and plow, arm yourself with some online/,mailorder prices. Then have a talk with your dealer. Some dealers will give you a 10-15% discount when you buy a machine from them. Maybe you could get a few things at cost the day you pick up the quad? It never hurts to ask!