Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 5' by 18' tandem trailor. Inside dimentions are 4' by 14'. This is literally the best trailor I have ever owned. With it's 4 wheels, it is very smooth. Plus it backs up great because of the small width and 18' length. On the highway I can drive at normal speeds also, without it fish-tailing like some other trailors... Go for longer, not wider.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-12-2000, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

Nobody seems to realise that the axl width on all these trailers are basically identical. The difference in the width of the trailer is only due to construction. the trailers that are only 5 feet wide are built between the tires. The trailers that are 8 feet wide are built above the axls. Trailers that do no follow proerly jump back and forth because of poor weight distribution not because they are wider.That is the fault of whoever loaded the trailer. It is the 60%40% rule. With the exception of large enclosed trailers for cars and such the axls of trailers are designed to be about the same width as the trucks that pull them so they do follow properly.

Old 10-12-2000, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 5x13 trailer that a company near me makes specifically for 2 ATVs. Great size. Get a gate on it, it makes it so much easier.

Old 10-12-2000, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I bought a 6X12 steel utility trailer. I couldn't find anything in aluminum within a reasonable distance -- they would deliver one to a dealer nearby if you bought it, but you couldn't look at various models on the lot. Actually, I like the heavier weight because I tow on a lot of uneven country roads and it doesn't get thrown around a lot.

Have to agree on longer over wider. Mine is wider than my Durango and its just a concern I could live without -- hate those construction barriers on the interstate. I drive the Recon on up front and slide it cross-ways, its not that heavy. Then I run the 450ES on behind it.

I like the big attached ramps. Even though you look like a landscape company at times, they are convenient for all sorts of loading situations. While it might seem obvious, a tilt trailer won't work for two quads unless you synchronize the loading like a circus act.

Also, I see a lot of guys with very small lawnmower sized trailers with tiny wheels. For over the highway use, I would get the biggest tires possible. More stable, less wear on the bearings.

Old 10-12-2000, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found a couple of places on the internet that have trailers for ATV's. Here is one of them http://www.rockyatvtrailers.com/model_1100_series.htm . Looks okay, but need to see the trailers up front first. Thanks for everybodies help and comments, gives me a lot to think about before I get one.

Kevin

Old 10-12-2000, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

DrRod brought up a great point. Get large full size wheels. The small wheels are not good at high speeds.

Old 10-12-2000, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

TheArcher is right on about the axles, as well as the weight distribution. If a trailer is jumping back and forth, it's due to an improper loading job. Weight distribution is key, too heavy of weight placed behind the axles will cause excessive sway. Wider trailers are easier to back up, but also tougher to get into tight situations when up in the mountains on narrow, curvey roads, or driving through trees to secluded camp spots. I use a Big Tex 5'x10' trailer myself, for hauling two AC 500 Auto's. I think there's one pic at the site below of the setup. I built a platform across the top, drive the 'Cat's right up the side from either direction. Also mounted a tool box up front, built a tailgate for it, and mounted some reverse lights underneath. This setup works very well, as the quads sit up top, and I can haul all my gear underneath. Never had a problem yet, and regularly drive some of the roughest roads around, as well as trailering for at least two hours in any direction to ride.

Whoever mentioned large tires is also correct, find one with the biggest you can get. Provides much better highway abilities, and also increases ground clearance when traveling off-road.

Big Tex makes some pretty good steel trailers, with either wood, or diamond plate decks, pretty much any design you would want. They are made in Odessa and Mt. Pleasant Texas if I remember right. We sell a ton of these trailers at work, in all different sizes ranging from 4'x6's, up to 36' goosenecks. The wiring is about the only thing I consider to be of bad design. It's your basic four wire strand that is just tacked up above, and connections are not the greatest. I stripped my wiring out entirely, replaced it with heavy duty 3/4" rv cable, with 7 wires. Granted, I don't need all 7 wires, but it is nice to have reverse lights, and know that I've got 2 wires to spare, should something go wrong.

Another thing to consider is will you use the trailer specifically for atv's only? If you plan to use it as a universal trailer, for other utilities, such as firewood gathering, hauling yard trash or debris, etc., the aluminum trailers may not be able to handle as much weight as would a steel. Steel is heavier, but you won't have to worry about it warping on you under heavy loads.

Anyway, just another thought.

Mike

Old 10-13-2000, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Thats a good point. Get at least 14" tires. I had one of those "build it yourself" trailors with either 10" or 12" wheels and I blew out the wheel bearings on the highway. Not a pretty site!

Thats why I have bigger tires now...and four of them!

Old 10-13-2000, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

Some of the local High Schools here in Utah build and sell trailers as fundraisers. The teachers and instructors supervise the work and they are probably about half the cost of retail and they have several plans. I purchased a 6 1/2 x 12 trailer with a beavertail ramp gate and 18" siderails as a package deal with my Foreman from a neighbor. The rear ramp worked great for loading but if I needed to haul more than one machine it was difficult to turn the front machine sideways across the trailer. I took the trailer to the High school and I had them cut out a 6' section of the right siderail ahead of the axle and they added another 4'x 6' ramp. Now all I have to do is pull two pins, drop the side ramp and drive on. I can haul 3 quads ( Foreman 400, Big bear, Timberwolf ) sideways on the trailer.

I also believe in getting the biggest tire possible, small tires are hard on bearings and wearout quickly. My trailer has 15 inch rims. I also added Buddy bearings as an extra precaution.

My Father in law uses an 8' x 10' tilt snowmobile trailer to haul his machines and as someone said earlier, it's a circus act loading more than one machine unless you have someone else available to help. It has small tires and tracks terrible. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH FOR A TRAILER.

Old 10-15-2000, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

NICE TO SEE A HIGH SCHOOL SOMEWHERE TRYING SOMETHING NEW.

Quick Reply: ATV Trailers