Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am buying my second ATV this Saturday (SP500HO) and wanted to know where I could get a trailer to carry two ATV's (SP500HO & Polaris 250). Are there any trailers that can carry 2 ATV's without paying through the nose for it?

Thanks, Kevin

Old 10-11-2000, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

Just about all the trailers now will haul 2 atv's side by side, just make sure the trailer is 102" wide.The older trailers that are 8 feet wide will not fit the bigger atv's on them.You can get a good trailer from about $800 on up. I bought a Floe last year,it is a nice trailer being all aluminum it is really light. Good Luck

Old 10-11-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Last year I needed a trailer to haul 2 atv's around. One thing that I remembered from my landscaping days is longer rather than wider.

A longer trailer is easier to move around and drive. Especially when backing up.

I found a Big Tex 5x14 trailer with a gate for $1300. It only weighs 700lbs itself. That price included everything from taxes to registration.

Old 10-11-2000, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool. I would rather have a longer trailer than wild one, like you said, much easier to handle it. Where could I find these trailers like Big Tex? Anyone have any good places to shop for these?

Kevin

Old 10-11-2000, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I got mine from a dealership here in CT. You may want to search the web for a dealer near you that carries Big Tex.

From what I have heard from many people that use trailers, Big Tex is a great brand. The only problem I ran into was the lights. The connections in the lights was not the best, so I took them off and soddered them up. No more problems.

I pull the trailer behind a Dodge Intrepid. I can feel the weight, but the trailer itself is very nicely balanced and tracks awesome. With nothing on the trailer, I can pick it up and move it anywhere I want. I won't even get into the gate and how much that helps after a long day of racing.

Here is the web site for them. www.bigtextrailers.com/

Old 10-11-2000, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Mike. I will go look up the web site now. For two ATV's back to back, I would need around 11'-13' in length of trailer.

Kevin

Old 10-11-2000, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

The first trailer I looked at was I think 12 feet long, but it was a tilt. The salesman thought it came with a gate, but was wrong. He was thinking of the 14 footer. So for a little bit more money I got that one.

I can fit a Banshee and a 250R on the trailer with enough room for other stuff. Gas and junk. I will be getting my son a small ATV in the near future. I think it will fit, but it will be tight for three quads. But for two, it is perfect. And being only 5 feet wide (bed that is) the wheels do not stick out past my car. So I can even drive through ATM's withoout a problem.

Old 10-11-2000, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

I got my trailer from porta-dock out of delano. It is actually a PDT trailer but that is a subsidiary of porta-dock. The phone number is 1-800-783-7070. I would suggest you stay with aluminum and stay away from steel. You will get more life out of the trailer and they are lighter. I have never seen an aluminum trailer like some of the other guys are talking about...a trailer that is longer and you have to put the machines on baack to back. I have only seen steel ones. I would suggest you get a 8'x10' trailer. you can easily fit two machines on there. that is what i have and i can fit my machine and a sp500 on it easily. An 8'x12' would be nice two but don't get one unless you have a full size pickup or a Tahoe or something along those lines. Most trailers for snowmoblies and 4-wheelers don't have trailer brakes so they like to push a lot. If you go with a long trailer you need a vehicle with a long wheelbase too. Mine was around $750 including licensing. Good Luck

Old 10-11-2000, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

A 6 foot wide trailer can hold two atvs if it is at least 8.5 feet long. You can load the atvs from the side with ramps. In other words, the atvs sit across the trailer...

Good luck,
Lorrin Lee

Old 10-11-2000, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if this will be the answer, but it may be. If you want to do it for the least amount of dollars, and know someone with welding ability, you can by the channel iron, expanded metal and an axle (at Tractor Supply or an trailer sales company) and lay the material out and make your own.

I have a 5x13 with a 4 foot beavertail. The length is fine for 2 atvs with rack extensions. It is long enough to see it when you are backing it up (a problem with a very short trailer), but is narrow to ride in the slipstream of the truck and not cause too much drag and thus hurt your gas mileage more than is absolutley necessary.

Quick Reply: ATV Trailers