Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

My Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Options

This was originally an e-mail, (It was to someone who doesn't know ATV's, not trying to down anyones' intelligence) so..yeah. First off, I'm not a very big guy, (5'7", ~140lbs, 15 years old.) I own a 2000 Yamaha Banshee modded out the rear, so I can handle power. I just mainly ride trails, and the Banshee doesn't have the clearance I need.

I'd like to try to pick up a 2005 ~ September when Alamo Cycle Plex gets in the 2006 models. If I can’t, then oh well.
In order, top=more to my likings

1st
2005 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4
$5,199
Pros:
Lightweight 4x4 (dry weight, 477lbs)
Good handling for a 4x4 due to smaller size
Shaft Drive
Proven ATV
Great bang for the Buck @ $5,199, and since they were upgraded big time for 2006, I should be able to get quite a bit off of that price since my dad knows the owner
Good looks IMO
Cons:
Only a 350 (My grandpas Honda was fine in Lubbock, but it won't haul ***.)
Full time 4x4
Not great mud protection (Not a huge thing)
No front Differential Locker
Other- Manual transmission w/auto clutch (I like manual because it give you more control, and am not exactly fond of having to play w/a clutch)

2nd
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4
$5,699
Pros:
633cc V-Twin
On sale. Originally- $6,599. Currently- $5,699
Decent looks
Selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive
Locking front differential
Good Mud Protection
Shaft Drive
Proven ATV
Cons:
It's a big boy. Weighs in @ 602lbs dry (It has the power to push it, but throwing around something that big can't be all that easy) So; I don’t think it would handle very well.
Won’t fit in a short bed pickup without the tailgate down
Stock tires are said to wear quickly and not be great off-road
Seeing that its on sale, I probably can't get much more off of the asking price
Other- Automatic transmission (Doesn't really matter to me, but I like knowing I will always have power without having to worry about shifting gears. Convenience, but no big deal. Manual is fine too.)

3rd
2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4
$5,999
Pros:
421cc
Better mud protection that 2005 model
Possibly a little bit quicker also
Shaft drive
Dry weight of 516lbs, should have decent/good handling and good power to weight ratio
Good-looking plastics IMO
Cons:
Basically a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 w/different plastics, smaller tires and no racks
Brand new model in certain aspects, so it is unproven, and I haven’t found any reviews
No Diff. Locker
Other- Automatic Transmission

4th
2005 Polaris Scrambler 500 H.O. 4x4
$6,199
Pros:
Said to have plenty of power
True Polaris 4wd
Decent mud protection
Said to be able to hang w/the bigger bore 4x4s
The stock tires are great
Should be able to handle pretty well
Cons:
I think the plastics are ugly as hell.
Chain drive. Give more of a sporty feel, but more maintenance (grease/lube the chain. Since chain moves w/swing arm, it needs to be adjusted) I don't want to have to deal w/a chain again
It’s heavy for only a 500. Weighing in @ 571lbs dry
Other- Automatic transmission.

5th
2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4
$5,199-manual transmission
$5,349- automatic transmission
Pros:
Good mud protection
Proven ATV
Said to be able to hang with the big bores on the trails, but not the straights
Good handling
Good bang for the Buck, but w/power to weight ratio, the Wolverine takes it, as does the Scrambler
Cons:
No Diff. Locker
Only 376cc’s and weighs 577lbs dry (I want something fast, this doesn’t seem to fill the bill)
More of a Workhorse
Other: I would probably go with the manual transmission just because it costs less

My Dilemma: I want speed, but I know none of these ATV’s will come anywhere near my Banshee. More CC’s is better IMO, but I want handling also. The Brute Force 650 is said to be one of the best handling big bore ATVs, but that’s just it. It is BIG. My Grandpa’s Honda Rancher was fine when we rode in Lubbock. I was getting it to run with a Polaris 600(climbing and all, but not straights, we played tag and I never got away from him). My logic is that the Wolverine would out perform my grandpas because 1. It is lighter (477 dry 4x4 vs. 511 dry 2x4) and 2. The wolverine should have more horsepower than the Honda anyway, because of more CC’s (348 vs. 329) and Honda mainly focuses on reliability and suspension. So I would think I could be happy on the 2005 Wolverine. So..Let me know your thoughts.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default My Options

DONT GET a polairs i think there crap IMO i would deffinatly go with the eiger 400 4x4 Manual/ or the kawasaki brute force 650 i like them b/c they got the power and the handling isnt to bad those would be your most reliable chioce out of the 2 so hope that helpes

Old 07-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Options

the brute handles great!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My Options

But when I ride I like throwing the ATV around. Would I be able to throw the Brute 650 around even though I'm not a very big guy?

Old 07-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default My Options

i wouldnt be worried about throwing it aound once you get used to the fourwheeler it will get eaisyer to throw it around but if your still worried go with the eiger 400 4x4 i like it i can throw it around no problem!! have you thought about the eigers bigger brother the Vinson 500 manual they are really great fourwheelers GREAt power and they handle great also but dont get the auto it also right around your price range i think its like 6,000 or something like that brand new my grandfather has one there very fun and can get throught alot of mud! but if you want to stick with the first choices i would get the brute force i like it also

Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default My Options

If your looking for a 4x4 that runs like your Banshee, check out the new Bombardier 800 (82 mph),60 plus hp.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Options

82mph? what you smoking

Old 07-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default My Options

The Bomb is way out of my price range. I mean, I was wishing I could afford a Brute Force 750. My uncle got a 2005 green, which I've ridden and It still gets me how that 600lb machine gets up and goes. I know the Vinson is a good ATV, but I can get the Brute 650 for less, even though Camo Vinsons are on sale for $5,999. That is an auto too though. I will look into them more, maybe I could work out a better deal on one, because I'm not thinking I could get a BF650 much cheaper than the current sale price. But one thing that gets me about the Vinson is that it weighs 604lbs dry. Thats more than the Brute with less CC's. Thanks for the replies. More opinions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and does the Vinson come with a front diff. locker? And how would a Vinson run against a Sportsman 600?

Dust.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default My Options

Bump

Old 07-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default My Options

Yeah...Saving for a Brute Force 750 4x4i. Rode my uncles for around an hour today and I think I'm in love. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Yeah, but I should be able to get the same deal, if not a better one. He picked his up for $6,300 because his Prarie 700 was stolen when it was in the shop. But my dad knows the owner and I should be able to get that same deal, maybe a better one because I think I will try to pick up an '05.

Quick Reply: My Options