Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Desert riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desert riding

Hey guys. I live in Las Vegas and was wondering what the best ATV for my needs would be. Basically, it would need to be able to take on hard dirt as well as a little soft dirt. There are many places I would need to go with steep hills, some very rocky. There really isn't much mud out here to be concerned with. I'm not too concerned with speed, but handling and climbing ability are a must. Plus, it's gotta look cool. =) One I was seriously considering is the Yamaha Wolverine 450. Any suggestions on what I should go with?

Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Desert riding

Go to http://www.off-road.com/, and look in the archives for pictures of desert races. The bikes you see in there, are the best desert bikes in the world!

Like http://www.off-road.com/atv/race/200...00/contin.html and http://www.off-road.com/race/index.html

The best choices are the light trail riding sport bikes (375 pounds and under): Like the 400EX, Z400, TRX450R, etc. You will want to make a few mods like full chassis and swingarm skid plates, a bumper, tires like Holeshot XC (or XCT's for more ground clearance), a desert fuel tank, etc. If you want to go all out, wider front suspension and aftermarket shocks.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need a big heavy 4X4 utility! They do have their place, but the best tactic in the desert is to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF LIGHT WEIGHT AND MOMENTUM to get through sketchy terrain. You do NOT want to be trying to "grapple for traction" on a big heavy machine. You want to float on top of it! And, riding a utility in desert whoops, is the worst punishment imaginable.

The new Wolverine 450 is nothing but a utility without racks. The old Wolverine 350 however is a very nice concept!

Old 08-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Desert riding

So, of all the available bikes out there, which would you recommend as the best for the buck for this type of riding?

Old 08-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Red Rider
Default Desert riding

The 400EX is a good starter bike, especially if you need to get something used. It would definitely be the best choice if you mostly ride a lot of rocky, technical terrain.

If you are buying new, the Z400 will get you more bike for the money.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Desert riding

There's an ATV rental place down the street from my house. I talked with owner and he said that he sells all of his ATV's after they are 3 months old. He sells 250EX's for $3,000 and 400EX's for $5,000. Do you think this might be a good option?

Old 08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Red Rider
Default Desert riding

The 250 is a very basic machine. Fun to ride, and a good choice for advanced kids or beginner adults, but not a performance machine by any means. Its suspension is kind of limited, so you have to take it easy when it gets really rough.

How many hours/miles do they have on them at only 3 months??? If they are rentals, they have no doubt been abused, but if any machine can take it, these two can!

I'll have to think about those prices...............

Old 08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default Desert riding

Not sure about the mileage. I figure they're abused. But some of them seem like they are in pretty damn good shape. The way I see it is, how much permanent damage can really be done in 3 months? I can't imagine that 1 bike is used that much in 3 months. And he has an on-premises shop to do all the necessary maintenance if someone does some damage to a bike. He's pretty firm on his prices, so I think he picks them up in bulk wholesale, rents them out for 3 months, then sells them at cost. So, even if a bike is never rented out, he doesn't lose any money on the deal. I was looking to buy new, but I can't see spending $7,000 on an ATV. I can get a Hyundai or a Kia for that.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Red Rider
Default Desert riding

MSRP for an 06 is $3,649 and 5,899 respectively. What is tax in Nevada??? Are you going to have to pay sales tax anyway when you buy it?

In California, you would pay around MSRP, plus tax, plus shipping, plus setup. You rarely would get out the door for less than $1000 over MSRP.

Go to a dealership, and ask for the best price they can give you out the door. Then go to the rental and see how everything matches up. If it's a good deal, I have some friends who might be interested as well. Vegas is only a few hours away.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Desert riding

I will. I'll let you know what I come with. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Desert riding

I am going to Los Vegas in August. Can you tell me where this guy is located and what his phone# is? How about a webpage?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Desert riding