Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Air Cooled vs Water Cooled

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cooled vs Water Cooled

Hey Everyone,
After quite a bit of research, I've narrowed down the choice of bikes I'm going to buy to the 400ex or the z400. I noticed that the 400ex is air-cooled and the z400 is water-cooled. Since I live in Las Vegas, would air-cooled cause the bike to overheat when riding up the side of a steep hill in 120 degree weather? Would one have any advantages over the other when climbing up the steep desert mountains? I plan on buying used as well. What do you think would be the better choice? Please express your opinions, it will definitely help me figure out which I'm going to buy.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both of these, so your not getting any brand loyalty nonsense from me. If I am at the dunes, and I climb a long hill in warm weather, I can feel the EX fading as it heats up. On the other hand, a 400EX motor will run forever and a day, no matter how you abuse it or how hot you get it.

Water cooling is primarily seen as an enhancer of performance, rather than engine longevity issue. When the engine stays cooler, it just performs better. Another issue is that air cooled is simpler, so there is less that can go wrong.

These motors have very different powerbands. The EX has lots of low end, and it doesn't mind being lugged down. When I am doing a trail ride, where I will have to go slow and pick my way through technical terrain, it is my 1st choice.

If I am riding some trails, but primarily open country, I pick the Z because it likes to rev. If you have to ride it slowly, the revvy engine can be a challenge because you will have to be slipping the clutch to go slow.

If the terrain is wide open, and I want to go 100 mph, then I pick the 450R!!!

Old 08-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

Hmmm, So far it seems that the 400ex would be my best bet. If only the 400ex were water-cooled.........

Old 08-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

How does the 450R handle trails and climbing? Why do you prefer it only for wide open terrain?

Old 08-24-2005, 04:56 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I wouldnt sweat the EX not being water cooled. And welcome to the forum j0ksta.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:36 AM
Red Rider

The Z likes to rev, and the R really likes to rev! And, it is geared tall, so it doesn't like to go slow. So, if you are slowly picking your way through some rocks or something technical, you have to be slipping the clutch to go slow enough, so it isn't the best choice for that.

But, out in open terrain all that rev and high gearing is ideally suited for going fast! It corners like it is on rails!

Old 08-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

OK. Sounds like the 400EX is the bike for me. Although, I have to admit, the thought of going 100mph down a desert trail really turns me on.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Red Rider

Still, take a good look at the Z. It is absolutely the best ALL-AROUND machine out there! It has more engine than the EX, and the Z engine hops up big time when you are ready for more power. Seeing the Z and EX have the same MSRP, you are definitely getting more for your money with the Z!

I just prefer the EX for rough, slow technical stuff, but that is the only place where the EX has an advantage.

We ride Rasor Rd. (off the I-15 near Baker, Ca) frequently. Once you get a bike, if you want to meet us out there sometime, let me know. It's about a 2 hr. drive for us, and I imagine about the same for you. It has a little of everything: sand trails, sand flats, rocky hills, very nice dunes, access to Afton Canyon (you ride in water down the riverbed). It is one of my favorite places!

Old 08-25-2005, 12:04 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi reconranger, which do you think will require more hands on maintainence over the next 5 yrs or so?

Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds good recon. Is it more sandpaddle tires type terrain out there?

Quick Reply: Air Cooled vs Water Cooled